The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] William Nylander seeking a contract over $10 million

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Does Reaves ever do anything in the playoffs though ... except for the one (fake) year the Canucks let him get in their heads Ferland style? Better  teams than ours show if you ignore him he has nothing else to give and dissapears.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Page, Text, Number, Symbol

https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/wild-wise-to-pass-on-ryan-reaves-contract-r29476/

With the Wild having a smaller team, many have wanted Minnesota to employ an enforcer like Reaves for years. The Wild got a Reaves-type in Nic Deslauriers, which ended up working out poorly. Maybe it was just because they got the Shasta version of Reaves. This time Guerin traded for Coca-Cola Classic. Reaves' reputation for being a deterrent was so great that few in the NHL were even brave enough to take them on. The thinking was, if opponents didn't want to answer to Reaves, they'd be on their best behavior.

That demonstrably did not work out.

6-foot-7 giant Logan Stanley fell on 5-foot-9 Kirill Kaprizov, taking him out for weeks and reducing his effectiveness in the playoffs. Reaves' response? Nothing. He didn't deter Stanley from touching their superstar, and he didn't dish out any consequence for doing so.

This continued in the playoffs, where Reaves was helpless to stop the Dallas Stars from taking liberties with the Wild throughout their six-game set. This includes Ryan Suter in particular hacking away at Kaprizov with such intensity that you'd have thought the Russian superstar said something truly awful, like that Suter should play on the second power play unit.

The idea is that giant, physical players like Reaves are what get you through the playoffs. The Wild played the gritty identity that they wanted, with Reaves being a key part of that, and the result was the same: Out in the first round, in the same six games the skilled, high-flying Wild of 2021-22.

And again, if he's not that deterrent for other teams, and definitely not that in the playoffs at age-36, how is that going to be better at 37, let alone 39?

Pretty useless in my books. I remember watching a playoff series after he destroyed us in 2019 and getting ready to watch him unleash the terror. Eventually even the announcers were making fun of how ineffective and useless he was as long as you don't get mixed up in his antics.

Wasn't saying we should sign Reaves, and have been vocal about that in the past.   It just goes to show how GMs value this sort of thing still.   Marroon was also a guy who prolonged his career (better player for sure) because of a lack of this sort of thing overall now.    I'd rather give a young guy like Gadj as shot. 

Also wasn't opposed to signing Lucic to a one year min contract or thereabouts - Boston didn't mind either, but also said back when he was getting started, he wasn't nearly as good as people think, just picked his spots.   Gino and half the enforcers in his era would have beat him badly.   Got burned for saying that - then Orr made him cry, 

Reaves is garden variety if he played in the 90's and 2000's.    At best.    Wilson acting like an idiot picking up and smashing Panarin to the ice.    He crossed a line for sure.   And should have had some retribution but didn't.     Like it or not Gawdzukes, when it comes to the post season, who in the heck, is going to stop anyone from running Demko, EP or QHs?    Nobody.   At least we got some size now.   But we aren't going to intimidate or stop anyone from roughing up our stars either.   We haven't had that ability since the early 2000's. 

Sucks growing up watching hockey, and not getting pushed around (80's-90's).   When we got Jovo, he was a smallish D on our team lol.    Like it or not, the few guys who still can do this and do it well (and it's for sure not "well" it's just the best today)  are still coveted by GM's.   Not hard to imagine why given their age.  

Teams will still decide whom they will target come the post-season (something we haven't even managed yet), and take them out of the series.    Tell me, who on this team, exactly, is going to stop that from happening IF we even get there?   Sure wasn't Horvat, skates away from every scrum.    Maybe Tochett can become a player coach or Foote.   Who was never a fighter.   But today would probably be a top ten one in this league.   Clifford lol.   Not a scary guy.  He's still getting deals because at least he was a willing combatant.   Same with Guddy and his two fights a year. 

• Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

Nylander in Anaheim makes a ton of sense.  They have a young team, he's a top flight winger.  They have the cap space.  He would give them 3 effective forward lines with Carlsson showing up there.  Anaheim also seems to do well staggering contracts so that they can effectively pay their players what they are worth.  He'd be a great fit there.

He'd also be a great fit here in Sweden West with Lekkerimaki, Pettersson, Pettersson, Willander, Alriksson, Forsell, Gabrielson, Hoglander, Costmar, Gunnarsson, Aman, Karlsson and Johansson all in the system in some fashion.  We don;'t have the cap space but he'd easily supplant Boeser at this stage.

Anaheim though makes the most sense.  TO has a history of working with Anaheim on deals.  They have lots of what Toronto wants/needs and in all honesty the deal between the two would make a ton of sense.

it seems as though most are in agreement that Nylander is worth between $7.25 and $8.75 million which TO can't afford.  his insanely large ask if true; prices him out.  This could simply be an easy way of saying peace, I'm out.  Done.  Later.  Without tanking his own value

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wasn't saying we should sign Reaves, and have been vocal about that in the past.   It just goes to show how GMs value this sort of thing still.   Marroon was also a guy who prolonged his career (better player for sure) because of a lack of this sort of thing overall now.    I'd rather give a young guy like Gadj as shot. 

Also wasn't opposed to signing Lucic to a one year min contract or thereabouts - Boston didn't mind either, but also said back when he was getting started, he wasn't nearly as good as people think, just picked his spots.   Gino and half the enforcers in his era would have beat him badly.   Got burned for saying that - then Orr made him cry, 

Reaves is garden variety if he played in the 90's and 2000's.    At best.    Wilson acting like an idiot picking up and smashing Panarin to the ice.    He crossed a line for sure.   And should have had some retribution but didn't.     Like it or not Gawdzukes, when it comes to the post season, who in the heck, is going to stop anyone from running Demko, EP or QHs?    Nobody.   At least we got some size now.   But we aren't going to intimidate or stop anyone from roughing up our stars either.   We haven't had that ability since the early 2000's. 

Sucks growing up watching hockey, and not getting pushed around (80's-90's).   When we got Jovo, he was a smallish D on our team lol.    Like it or not, the few guys who still can do this and do it well (and it's for sure not "well" it's just the best today)  are still coveted by GM's.   Not hard to imagine why given their age.  

Teams will still decide whom they will target come the post-season (something we haven't even managed yet), and take them out of the series.    Tell me, who on this team, exactly, is going to stop that from happening IF we even get there?   Sure wasn't Horvat, skates away from every scrum.    Maybe Tochett can become a player coach or Foote.   Who was never a fighter.   But today would probably be a top ten one in this league.   Clifford lol.   Not a scary guy.  He's still getting deals because at least he was a willing combatant.   Same with Guddy and his two fights a year. 

Ah yes. This makes a lot of sense. I agree for the most part, I long for the days when we had Murzyn, Diduck, Gino, Linden, Momesso, Brashear, etc. Even a guy like Gus Adams played hard and heavy, Courtnall and Bure too. I get what you're saying now. I always appreciate your deeper understanding of hockey past ... kudos to your memory on a lot of these things ... across the entire league as well. You are a wealth of knowledge.

For  myself I like Maroon, and also a guy like Perry, or Kolesar, Kostin, Carrier, Lomberg, this year. Those guys actually know how to play hockey and deter the other team where as Reeves doesn't. He was only effective against teams who lost their composure.  Even Lucic is a far better player and contributes to the game outside of the rough and tumble. Personally I think Gadj is in the Reeves category myself so we differ on that one. Very little to add hockey wise he's just a total pylon out there waiting for his 2 minutes of glory every 12-18 games.

I wish we had another pick and had a guy like Barlow (maybe) in the pipeline. These types of players are far more effective when they can play hockey too. Agree though, we need to find this type of element but it's more of a finishing move on our team at this point. Miss the good old days. ;) Cheers!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

Nor does WN......he's turned into a pretty decent two way winger.  He'll never be a sepke guy, but he works hard in his own end 

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This isn’t 2018 anymore WN is a decent 2 way player now. 

Is he though.......

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-forwards-ranked-defensive-play-2021-22/

41 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ah yes. This makes a lot of sense. I agree for the most part, I long for the days when we had Murzyn, Diduck, Gino, Linden, Momesso, Brashear, etc. Even a guy like Gus Adams played hard and heavy, Courtnall and Bure too. I get what you're saying now. I always appreciate your deeper understanding of hockey past ... kudos to your memory on a lot of these things ... across the entire league as well. You are a wealth of knowledge.

For  myself I like Maroon, and also a guy like Perry, or Kolesar, Kostin, Carrier, Lomberg, this year. Those guys actually know how to play hockey and deter the other team where as Reeves doesn't. He was only effective against teams who lost their composure.  Even Lucic is a far better player and contributes to the game outside of the rough and tumble. Personally I think Gadj is in the Reeves category myself so we differ on that one. Very little to add hockey wise he's just a total pylon out there waiting for his 2 minutes of glory every 12-18 games.

I wish we had another pick and had a guy like Barlow (maybe) in the pipeline. These types of players are far more effective when they can play hockey too. Agree though, we need to find this type of element but it's more of a finishing move on our team at this point. Miss the good old days. ;) Cheers!

No worries, I'm not always the best communicator so appreciate your's and everyone's patience with me.   And you absolutely nailed it with those guys.   I wish that was something we still had in spades but also get it's changed.   And that's ok.   Just feel that that sort of thing, you can't get enough of.   And it's not about winning a fight either - Murzyn, god bless him, not sure he ever won one.    But he protected McLean and the front of the net with a vengeance.    

I'd rather have a guy who can play and fight and do all the other things but it's extremely rare now, when before in our generation and the boomers, it was commonplace.    And still think there is a place for it in the game.    Glad the league got rid of staged fights, but it never would have happened in the first place if they kept things how it was.    Adding the instigator penalty created that eventuality,  and getting rid of the redline as far as concussions go, made it worse.   Most of them, all but 5% and this goes back to a time when guys were fighting 20-30 times a year, happened from speeding the game up and making body armour instead of leather shoulder pads that hurt you just as bad or worse then the guy you threw a hit against.   Elbow pads too, became weapons. Players don't need to look like transformers, or skate 30mph into each other either.    Most fighters will tell you, the worst thing that happened to them, was a hit.  For Scott Parker it was Sundins rock hard shoulder pad hitting him on the side of the head, not getting tuned by Probert (Ice Gaurdians). 

Not proposing they get rid of the instigator penalty because we don't have to go backwards, let's leave the 70's and 80's where they were.   But do think that the refs wont ever get it right, and that there will always be players who will do anything to win, and two minutes in the box to take out EP or QHs, or a game misconduct  and their "first" suspension, won't stop that either.   Or their fourth or fifth.   So having a scary dude on your team is never a bad thing.    Wouldn't pick Reaves because he's also got to be able to play the game and not hurt you.     Wish we had a team like those 90's ones.    Now JT Miller is a prototypical "Power forward".     Happy with that.   But also think we should add at least one guy who can fight too.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, BPA said:

Would anyone be interested in trading for Nylander?  To get a legit 30+ goal scorer?

Maybe…

Boeser + Rathbone + ??

for 

Nylander

I feel he's worth what he's making but he does have to show more on both ends to justify the raise he is supposedly looking for. If we could extend him around a modest raise from what he's making now I'd do that in a heartbeat. 

Not a big Nylander fan, but regardless. You start paying one dimensional wingers 10+ million a year and your limiting the monies to spend at center and D which are far more important. There are only so many wingers in the NHL worth that and Nylander isn't one of them. Imho.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

Would anyone be interested in trading for Nylander?  To get a legit 30+ goal scorer?

Maybe…

Boeser + Rathbone + ??

for 

Nylander

Yeah because a guy whining, AGAIN, for the most money he can get, is screaming Championship Pedigree. No thanks. ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

Not a big Nylander fan, but regardless. You start paying one dimensional wingers 10+ million a year and your limiting the monies to spend at center and D which are far more important. There are only so many wingers in the NHL worth that and Nylander isn't one of them. Imho.

Good god no.   Hope he does go to free agency.     He's no Mark Stone. Likely he's next seasons Klingberg.  And won't find it that easy to score in ANA either lol. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, McBackup said:

The flipside to the TO bump is that players get a massively inflated sense of their value due to the media being unable to remove their knobs from their mouths.

I really think it would take 2 teams in Toronto, which could then have a healthy rivalry. I know no one outside of Toronto wants a second team there, but it would just make sense. New York has 3 teams, why not 2 in Toronto?

Edited by the harry
  • Vintage 1