The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Carolina looking to make major moves

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Isn’t Karlsson to Carolina the big rumour?

Hopefully we can get in on it and get Pesce while moving Myers to San Jose.

Id be okay giving up a lotto protected 1st if we can sign him long term.

Between Burns and DeAngelo already on the roster...WTF do they need Karlsson for? And/or, are they moving Burns? I don't get it.

• Tanks a lot 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Between Burns and DeAngelo already on the roster...WTF do they need Karlsson for? And/or, are they moving Burns? I don't get it.

With both Tarasenko and DeAngelo on the way, I don’t think Carolina will have the cap space to keep Pesce around. They might want to trade him for picks and prospects. They probably don’t want a big contract coming back. 

Trade Myers to San Jose. And then we can trade our 2024 1st top 10 protected plus Nils Höglander to Carolina for Pesce. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No idea.

Could care less if we can snag Pesce though. ::D

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With both Tarasenko and DeAngelo on the way, I don’t think Carolina will have the cap space to keep Pesce around. They might want to trade him for picks and prospects. They probably don’t want a big contract coming back. 

Trade Myers to San Jose. And then we can trade our 2024 1st top 10 protected plus Nils Höglander to Carolina for Pesce. 

The rumoured trade with SJS was Myers for Labanc before SJS pulled out per Seravalli.  Doesn't really feel like SJS wanted Myers but saw it more as a way to move a contract they wanted even less.  

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, stawns said:

After years of being "so close" with the Canes, I'd think his list would work include most of the teams perennially on the outside looking in.  However, Petey and Hughes could be a draw..........moot point as I doubt Van has the pieces to make that work.

I see it being more the pieces to make it work than him not wanting to come here 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As @mll eluded to, Myers to SJS is likely dead in the water.

We'd probably be better off packaging Garland + Rathbone to a team with cap (ARZ, NSH, WPG etc) for little/no return and clear that cap. Then package something for Pesce separately. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Carolina the team that for the last 3 years is ready to make a move and go all in but only ever bargain bin shops is finally ready to make a substantial move! Let’s go!

Should have done it with miller at the tdl in '22.  They'd likely have a Cup by now

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As @mll eluded to, Myers to SJS is likely dead in the water.

We'd probably be better off packaging Garland + Rathbone to a team with cap (ARZ, NSH, WPG etc) for little/no return and clear that cap. Then package something for Pesce separately. 

there's literally no way anyone would take 15mil worth of cap from garland on top of the 17mil worth of actual salary for just a tweener prospect that's running out of runway to make the nhl. while garland might have some value to some teams but prolly all of them have no cap space.. he certainly have no value to those budget teams with cap space especialy with the salary worth more than his actual cap hit

• Wat 1

21 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

there's literally no way anyone would take 15mil worth of cap from garland on top of the 17mil worth of actual salary for just a tweener prospect that's running out of runway to make the nhl. while garland might have some value to some teams but prolly all of them have no cap space.. he certainly have no value to those budget teams with cap space especialy with the salary worth more than his actual cap hit

You're welcome to that opinion. IMO Rathbone's biggest issue is that we have Hughes (and now Hronek) already on the roster. We simply don't have the roster space, or ability to support a 3rd, smaller, offensive D. There isn't the ice time to give him the offensive minutes/usage he needs, nor do we currently have a 3rd pair right D who would be a suitable partner for him.

IMO, his offensive play is NHL level, and he could play a young, Tyson Barrie like role.

As for Garland, he's a young, good 5v5 play driver, that any of those teams could use, to flesh out their roster/support their kids. And he has moderate term, which should be attractive to teams like Winnipeg.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Based on their roster strengths and weaknesses I’d assume the only guy they’d be interested in swapping Pesce for would be Kuzmenko. Not saying Vancouver should do it, only that he’s the guy that seems to make sense from their end 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Based on their roster strengths and weaknesses I’d assume the only guy they’d be interested in swapping Pesce for would be Kuzmenko. Not saying Vancouver should do it, only that he’s the guy that seems to make sense from their end 

They've been doing a lot of things that don't make sense, such as trading for a defensive liability in Deangelo.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You're welcome to that opinion. IMO Rathbone's biggest issue is that we have Hughes (and now Hronek) already on the roster. We simply don't have the roster space, or ability to support a 3rd, smaller, offensive D. There isn't the ice time to give him the offensive minutes/usage he needs, nor do we currently have a 3rd pair right D who would be a suitable partner for him.

IMO, his offensive play is NHL level, and he could play a young, Tyson Barrie like role.

As for Garland, he's a young, good 5v5 play driver, that any of those teams could use, to flesh out their roster/support their kids. And he has moderate term, which should be attractive to teams like Winnipeg.

Rathbone looked lost in the NHL when he was up he was like awful.. if other teams think highly of rathbone they prolly would have already made a move for him as he prolly could be had for well below market because vancouver have no intent on playing or keeping him. 

sure garland can play in the NHL but he's simply not worth his contract.. his production was god awful both season and his garbage time points made his stats better than it looked. he's not a player that moves the needle and simply cost too much at 5mil for his production.. less than half of his points were against teams that were playoff bound.. and iirc he was -17 or something against those team and +12 against garbage teams i know i wouldn't want him on my team eating up 5mil just to produce against garbage teams.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Rathbone looked lost in the NHL when he was up he was like awful.. if other teams think highly of rathbone they prolly would have already made a move for him as he prolly could be had for well below market because vancouver have no intent on playing or keeping him. 

sure garland can play in the NHL but he's simply not worth his contract.. his production was god awful both season and his garbage time points made his stats better than it looked. he's not a player that moves the needle and simply cost too much at 5mil for his production.. less than half of his points were against teams that were playoff bound.. and iirc he was -17 or something against those team and +12 against garbage teams i know i wouldn't want him on my team eating up 5mil just to produce against garbage teams.

Yeah.  I don’t see the upside of Rathbone that some others seem to.  He’s not Hughes lite.  At this point he’ll be lucky to be Mete lite 

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Yeah.  I don’t see the upside of Rathbone that some others seem to.  He’s not Hughes lite.  At this point he’ll be lucky to be Mete lite 

I don't see any chance of him ever becoming an NHLer.  He's as bad as Barrie in his own zone. which is nowhere close to acceptable regardless of offensive output.

47 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The only other possibility is that they want to move an expiring Pesce to make room for Karlsson. Seems unlikely but if that is what they are doing, then CAR won't want a big contract coming back, they will want futures that they can use in the Karlsson deal.

Would love to see us go for it with some trades that seriously impact this roster:

To CAR: 2024 1st (top 10 protected) + Hoglander (rfa rights)

To VAN: Pesce (extension signed for $6.5m x 7 years)

To ARI: Boeser + Beauvillier + Rathbone + 2024 3rd round pick

To VAN: Crouse

(Arizona has use for some top 6 wingers now they are looking to compete)

Sign UFA Nosek $1.75m x 2, Watson $850k x 1

Roster:

Crouse Pettersson Kuzmenko

Mikheyev Miller Garland

Pearson Blueger Podkolzin

Joshua Nosek Watson

(Aman)

Hughes Pesce

Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

(Irwin Juulsen)

Demko (Silovs)