The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sabres sign Zach Benson

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I will be watching this kid in his career.  I made some pretty bold statements about  who he was and what  he would mean to this team vs how we had nobody to insulate him or help him elevate his game to the player everyone claimed he could be and as such would be a bad pick for us and a top or or bust kind of guy.

I love being proven wrong so let's hope this kid can do something with the shot he's been given.  Buffalo has the players this kid would need to help elevate his game and insulate him in to being what people claim he'll turn in to.  But time will tell.

Wish @SabreFan1 was still here (if I got the tag right) because I loved having him around to talk about our brother team in expansion

Same, it's a shame he was run off by some folks

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I will be watching this kid in his career.  I made some pretty bold statements about  who he was and what  he would mean to this team vs how we had nobody to insulate him or help him elevate his game to the player everyone claimed he could be and as such would be a bad pick for us and a top or or bust kind of guy.

I love being proven wrong so let's hope this kid can do something with the shot he's been given.  Buffalo has the players this kid would need to help elevate his game and insulate him in to being what people claim he'll turn in to.  But time will tell.

Wish @SabreFan1 was still here (if I got the tag right) because I loved having him around to talk about our brother team in expansion

SabreFan was a beauty. I miss him around here. :(

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

4 hours ago, Devron said:

He did yes. He’s an interesting player. We’ll see how it goes. I just know from past experience not to get super high on a player like that 

Yeah that's what I was getting at. It's one thing to come in and control the whole ice against the same level peers as you're used to. It's a whole different ballgame when Gudas is stepping into at the blueline or along the boards.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Caboose said:

Can see this kid making PA+Rutherford, plus all the others that passed on him, look really stupid. 

He's gonna be some talent.

I can’t shake that gut feeling that we’re going to regret not drafting him.

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, rekker said:

Not me. Not a reflection on Benson, I just get a good vibe from Willander. Love how he switched to D only a few years ago and is trending upwards. His skating and vision are there, size. There's easily as much to get excited about as Benson. In the end if Benson is a top six forward and Willander is a top four righty, both regulars in the NHL, I'd take the righty D everytime. 

That's kind of it.  If we get a solid top 4 RHD the likes of which Willander can become.  Even if he hits his floor and is a 40 point middle of the road defenseman that is actually responsible, that's vastly more valuable and important to this team than a middle 6 player.  benson would need to be an all star scoring threat or bergeron type pivot for us to seriously regret taking Willander if they both hit their stride.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I am gonna be really annoyed if/when this kid starts putting up points for Buffalo. A team that drafted Owen Power and Dahlin so they're in a better position to insulate Benson. He wasn't gonna be a fit here. We drafted an undersized winger last year. We already have our Benson. In a sense. Lekkerimaki is a pure sniper and Benson is more of a playmaker, but you get what I mean. I honestly think if he was American or Swedish nobody would care. And honestly, yes I also was a little blinded by the fact he was a BC boy. I love having them.

But at the end of the day, Willander is practically a BC boy too, said he was a Canucks fan growing up. And he fills a much more dire need. I wish Benson all the luck, cause I don't have any ill will towards our expansion draft brothers and honestly at this point with Benson, Krebs and Cozens, I am pretty sure Buffalo is my 2nd fav team. Both teams got the player that fits their direction/need. We don't need to watch his career and cry if he becomes special. I think Willander and Benson will be great.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Caboose said:

Can see this kid making PA+Rutherford, plus all the others that passed on him, look really stupid. 

He's gonna be some talent.

Glad Alvin Picked Willander 18 -6'2 -RD - great skating - plays both ends upside is very good #2 D MAN--How hard is it to find RD men unless you draft and develop?

RD = Hronek - 1st and 2nd

Centre men also very hard to find unless you develop?Example Miller C/W - Cost 1st and 2nd

Wingers unless there elite there easy to trade for...

So happy with Willander and he is already in NA not staying in Sweden like so many players do for 2 years..

2023 draft - was hoping for -1. Danilson 6'1 C went #9 --- 2.Dvorsky C-6'2 went #10 --3. Willander 6'2 RD 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Not me. Not a reflection on Benson, I just get a good vibe from Willander. Love how he switched to D only a few years ago and is trending upwards. His skating and vision are there, size. There's easily as much to get excited about as Benson. In the end if Benson is a top six forward and Willander is a top four righty, both regulars in the NHL, I'd take the righty D everytime. 

If Willander turns into a great partner to Hughes in a "Brent Burns/Paul Martin" type pairing in the future, I'll be stoked. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

If Willander turns into a great partner to Hughes in a "Brent Burns/Paul Martin" type pairing in the future, I'll be stoked. 

Willander 18 -6'2-- will be a very solid #2 RD man - 24--26 MINS.. Has edge to his game, plays complete 200 foot game with elite skating..

Along with,   Pettersson-19 -  6'3 LD--#3 D MAN IN 2 YRS 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If he pans out, could be an interesting add to a Sabres team that is built on size, speed and skill. Having a lil guy zip around on their squad in a few years could be fun. Like others have mentioned we already have smallish forwards in Beau, Garland, Hogz. We needed D and Willander could be an absolute stud for us!

Too early to judge, but even if Benson becomes a legit top 6 pt-per-game player, I still think Willander is the right pick if he becomes our top pair D.

Points is an easy way to evaluate a player, but it shouldn't be all what we use to compare players especially when it's a forward vs defenseman.

Last 2 years Benson had 161 pts in 118 reg season WHL games and 40 pts in 30 playoff games.

Local kid.

He will be ready to play in the NHL in a year. 

Willander won't be ready for the NHL full time for 3 years.

Benson scale is Schroeder to top 6 point per game NHL'er.

Willander scale is Juolevi to Hughes partner.

Who is more likely to finish the highest on their scale? Hard to say.

Hoglander is tradeable and so is Garland in 2 years.  Having too many small wingers is not an issue. If Benson pans out the other guys can be moved.

Benson could positively affect the team for two years before Willander even shows up. 

Lots to consider here...

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I do think:

Benson-Miller-Mikehyev 

could have been great.

but I understand and love the Willander pick and I was on the weary side of ranking benson at the top 

kids talented though and local so I wish him success