The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson, Rem Pitlick, Dillon Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd-round pick; Sharks acquire Mikael Granlund, Jan Rutta, Mike Hoffman, 2024 1st-round pick; Canadiens acquire Jeff Petry, Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare, 2025 2nd-round pick

17 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dubas controlling the X/Twitter account now?

Seems likely.  Why hire actual qualified people to do anything when you have a guy like Dubas who will just wing it and do it himself?

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, qwijibo said:

There's an actual dollar figure that comes with retaining that much for that long.  Try selling your owner on $20+ million  to get a bit better return in a trade 

IMO owners should all be willing to spend to the cap every year to try and build a winner. 

Hoffman makes $5 million this year so it would be around 17 million to fast track the rebuild and get to the playoffs sooner. At some point the owners HAVE to invest to make the playoffs to earn that revenue. 

But I do see your point. 

The interesting thing is exactly a year ago, this would have been considered a massive win for SJ to be able to get him off the books at all, let alone get an asset back as he was looking like the worst contract in the NHL. Lets see if he is finally healthy and back to what he's been or if it was a one off year and he regresses again. 

Going to predict SanJose will actually have a better season than last year (not by much) mainly because they will not have a stat pumping liability on the blue line. 
 Has there ever been a worse team with a Norris trophy winner scoring over a 100 points?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Going to predict SanJose will actually have a better season than last year (not by much) mainly because they will not have a stat pumping liability on the blue line. 
 Has there ever been a worse team with a Norris trophy winner scoring over a 100 points?

Lol.  How many guys from the D even scored that many points ... a small list.   And if you look at what his teammates managed, and consider their awful goaltending (worse in the league), it's not as bad as all of that.   EK did his best to do it all by himself.   I bet if it was Ovi or Crosby instead, next guy up scoring half the points almost, and also a minus magnet, nobody would be bringing this up.   He won the Norris deservingly.     If you want to pick on some Norris winners, how about the gift they gave Lidstrom?   Know he didn't have much competition back then (Phaneuf ... yikes who else?  Rafalski? Campbell?)  but it was just something the writers wanted so he could look like Harvey later in the record books.   Shore would have had 10 or so if it existed for all his career.     Perry.   Was his Hart trophy, as good as well, pretty much anyone else all-time?   Not all Norris trophies are the same.   Hope EK continues to show what a real offensive defenseman looks like.    Orr, Coffey,  Potvin than everyone else so far.     

Im going to predict, SJ simply sucks. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That was cool.   People need to respect EK a lot more than they do.   It wasn't his fault Cooke stomped on his ankle and severed his achilles tendon.   Prior to that, he was on the same trajectory as Ovi and Crosby are/were, as generational talent within a few years of each other.   Anyone who didn't watch what he did, against the Pens who went on to win the cup...The only guy i've watched play that position, that had that much impact on a series, since the 2000's, was Chris Pronger with EDM, or Scott Stevens. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

That was cool.   People need to respect EK a lot more than they do.   It wasn't his fault Cooke stomped on his ankle and severed his achilles tendon.   Prior to that, he was on the same trajectory as Ovi and Crosby are/were, as generational talent within a few years of each other.   Anyone who didn't watch what he did, against the Pens who went on to win the cup...The only guy i've watched play that position, that had that much impact on a series, since the 2000's, was Chris Pronger with EDM, or Scott Stevens. 

I agree he was pretty amazing during that run. Almost Gretzky like in controlling the games. Everything ran through him and he was on the ice constantly.

I have a sneaky feeling SJ won't be quite as bad as everyone thinks. We'll see though. It would certainly be good for them to finish at the bottom at least once more and probably twice or thrice.

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I could see Petry with retention or Ruuta being cheap targets for the Canucks now.

Beauvillier to Montreal for Petry with 50% rentention?

Montreal already has a glut of middle 6 forwards aavd with retention they'd essentially be paying over $7m for Beaulivier.  I don't really see a fit there from Montreal's perspective. If they're retaining they'll be looking for picks or prospects. Vancouver doesn't really have excess on either of those fronts.  

Plus.  It's been suggested (and I don't currently have a link to support this) that all 15 of the teams on Petry's no trade list or in the western conference.  He wants to stay close to his family.  

2 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Pit on paper has a solid lineup. Will come down to if the team can mesh (a lot of new bodies) and can they be average defensively. A lot of fire power.

They’re also counting on a Jarry bounce back year.

I'm excited about the Pens this year. Going be cheering for them to have a solid year. 

Yeah the core is old and they only have 2-3 years to take their shot, but that's great. It'll be exciting then once it is over they can turn straight into a massive rebuild and start trading off assets. 

Dubas is honestly in a pretty exciting position I'd say. Go for it now then you get to do a rebuild from the ground up leading the organization. 

• Upvote 1

I'd personally love to see Sid the kid lift the cup one more time, man watching the jr's that one Xmas time with my Grandad and aunts and uncles etc was magical. I'll never forget that tourney! Old enough to have a couple beers with my family was just an exciting tourney overall with a perfect ending.

• Cheers 1