The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canadiens trade Jeff Petry to Red Wings for Gustav Lindstrom, conditional 2025 4th-round pick

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Woo will almost certainly get claimed. 

Will he though? I hope Woo can become an NHLer, but at this point he's doing okay in the AHL and hasn't even made his debut for the big club. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine there will be that long a queue for him until he's proven at this level.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chiarot             Seider

Maatta              Petry

Gostisbehere    Holl

McIsaac            Walman

Is this the worst defence in the NHL?

Also, Sebastian Cossa looks like a bust.  Yzerman passed on Jesper Wallstedt who could be the next Henrik Lundqvist.

Yzerplan looks even worse than the Shanaplan.  They did play together so most likely compared notes...

Sieder and Maata are decent. Definitely not the worst defence overall.

However, Chiarot, Ghostbear, Holl and Walman have a combined cap hit of over $15M! That’s some Benning-level of overspending on marginal talent.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I see Petry being shipped off for a better return after being given a better shot for minutes in Detroit.

He'll recoup them a 3rd or even a 2nd at the tdl this or next year.  If det can retain that's almost a guarantee

GMs love depth for picks at the tdl

Only 2 teams can retain on a players contract.  Pittsburgh and Montreal are both already retaining on Petry so that's it.  Detroit can't retain anything if the try to move him 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

Given the scarcity of RHD, I can’t see him making it past rebuilding teams like Anaheim.

That being said, I’ve been surprised more than once by who clears waivers.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Will he though? I hope Woo can become an NHLer, but at this point he's doing okay in the AHL and hasn't even made his debut for the big club. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't imagine there will be that long a queue for him until he's proven at this level.

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I sort of expected Montreal to get paid more two years of 50% retention. But I think I might see more value in Petry at $2.3M AAV than some others do.

It’s not a bad deal for the Habs. Gustav Lindstrom is a 24 year old RHD with 128 NHL games under his belt and a former 2nd round pick. He had a down year last season but had been tracking fairly well the previous two.

And it’s always nice to add picks, although a conditional 2025 4th rounder doesn’t tend to hold much trade value (GMs tend to throw these around like they’re nothing). Not knocking it. I just think maybe the retention should have been worth a higher pick.

For Detroit, they get a veteran RHD who can give them 22+ minutes/game, 30+ points, and 100+ hits and blocks a season, for just a $2.3M AAV price tag. I have little doubt that Petry will outperform that kind of cap hit, even at his age, and provide significant surplus value for the Red Wings.

Agreed, I figured the Habs would get more than they got. Not a bad move by Detroit either, if it turns out they're out of it they could theoretically just flip him. 

As the acquiring team wouldn't Detroit be able to decide whether to honor his clauses or not?

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Sieder and Maata are decent. Definitely not the worst defence overall.

However, Chiarot, Ghostbear, Holl and Walman have a combined cap hit of over $15M! That’s some Benning-level of overspending on marginal talent.

Chiarot is a bad contract.

The others, it’s hard to say. Used correctly and matched with the right pairings, Gostisbehere, Holl, and Walman can all be effective top-4’s playing 20+ minutes per game.

(Well, Walman still needs to prove that last season was a coming out party and not a one year fluke.)

But if they provide top-4 quality results, then $3-4M (each) is a bargain.

There’s definitely potential for that group to struggle, especially if they’re used and paired in ways that really highlight their weaknesses. But if played to their strengths, and balanced with complimentary partners, I can actually see each of those guys surpassing the value of their contracts.

Except for Chiarot, of course. That’s just a bad contract (recently ranked top-10 by The Athletic for worst contracts in the NHL). He’s only been positive value when deployed as a third pairing and paid under $1.5M. As soon as he’s paid big bucks and gets big minutes, his results are atrocious (his analytics have been consistently negative value the last 4 seasons). I know he’s paid for his size and physicality, but he just doesn’t seem to hockey very well when he’s used as a top-4.

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, I figured the Habs would get more than they got. Not a bad move by Detroit either, if it turns out they're out of it they could theoretically just flip him. 

As the acquiring team wouldn't Detroit be able to decide whether to honor his clauses or not?

No.  His NTC goes with him.  

• elephant 1

I think this move makes sense if the plan is to try and compete for a playoff spot next season, knowing Buffalo and Ottawa will also be making a push. Adding Petry gives them a big RD that can still skate well and play an all around solid game. I don't see it as being odd but rather a move to give them more depth, a veteran presence with loads of experience. I'd take Petry at 2.6 over Myers at 6 every day of the week.

Edited by KirkSave

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Ummm, Vancouver changed management once during that 4-year timeframe and changed coaches twice, kind of makes a difference don't you think?

Cossa played 3 games in the AHL last season.  He was so bad that they had to send him to the ECHL.  When exactly did Ullmark play in the ECHL?  Also, you are comparing a goalie, Ullmark, who was a 6th round draft pick, to a goalie, Cossa, who was a top 15 pick in his draft.

Jepser Wallstedt, who was picked 5 spots later by Minnesota, played the entire year in the AHL last season, with a 2.68 GAA and .908 SV%.  Cossa was at 5.57 GAA and .783 SV% in 3 games before they invoked the mercy rule and sent him to the ECHL..

Detroit's defence this season will be one of the worst in the entire NHL.  Petry, Ghost and Chiarot are castoffs from other teams, nobody wanted them.  Holl wasn't even wanted by Toronto anymore.  Walman is still unproven.  Have no idea who McIsaac is.  The only legit NHL Dmen they have are Seider and Maatta.  

Ya no dawg.

You're reaching here in a big way.

Cossa had 3 whole games on an absolutely dog crap detroit farm team and got lit up.  he then went on to the echl and literally improved his GAA by almost 100% going 26-16-4 for a 2.56 GAA and a.916 save % at age 19/20.  To say he's a bust is a gd joke mate because by that token so is Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki and just about 90% of our entire prospect depth.

Detroits defence vs vancouvers is comparable - the Hughes factor.  Seider is great, Maata would immediately be in our top 4 and Ghost (Gostisbehere) would also slide in to our top 4 as well.

You're reaching here with some Heffy level aplomb so good on ya mate.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Better prospects than Woo have slipped through the waivers. But then again, we have Gadjovich get claimed. So i'd say no one knows, it's 50/50 lol... 

8 hours ago, Pears said:

Inb4 Price and Sekeres whine and moan about how the Canucks should be making deals like this. 

stopped listening to them long time ago. I am surprised they have been able to succeed doing their own podcast on their own. Guess Canuck fans still soak up any and all Canuck talk.

I can NOT stand Sekeres, so do not listen to their show...sorry to Blake Price for being collateral damage!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neutral said:

stopped listening to them long time ago. I am surprised they have been able to succeed doing their own podcast on their own. Guess Canuck fans still soak up any and all Canuck talk.

I can NOT stand Sekeres, so do not listen to their show...sorry to Blake Price for being collateral damage!!!

It's bad, but old white dudes love listening to old white dudes complain so they'll stay somewhat relevant. I can't imagine many millenials are listening to them. 

5 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Given the scarcity of RHD, I can’t see him making it past rebuilding teams like Anaheim.

That being said, I’ve been surprised more than once by who clears waivers.

Not to mention Toronto, Edmonton, and Chicago.  All of those teams will have AHL trash in their top 4 starting the season.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Not to mention Toronto, Edmonton, and Chicago.  All of those teams will have AHL trash in their top 4 starting the season.

Yeah, while I don’t want to rush him, I’d rather get him into a sheltered role than risk losing him for nothing

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Ya no dawg.

You're reaching here in a big way.

Cossa had 3 whole games on an absolutely dog crap detroit farm team and got lit up.  he then went on to the echl and literally improved his GAA by almost 100% going 26-16-4 for a 2.56 GAA and a.916 save % at age 19/20.  To say he's a bust is a gd joke mate because by that token so is Podkolzin, Lekkerimaki and just about 90% of our entire prospect depth.

Detroits defence vs vancouvers is comparable - the Hughes factor.  Seider is great, Maata would immediately be in our top 4 and Ghost (Gostisbehere) would also slide in to our top 4 as well.

You're reaching here with some Heffy level aplomb so good on ya mate.

Okay my friend, we are going to need to bring out the stats.  So, let's break this down shall we?

Cossa played for a dog crap AHL team so that is why his numbers are horrible?

All the goalies who played with the Grand Rapids Griffins last season:

Ryan Bednard - 5 games - 1.67 - .946

Magnus Hellberg - 4 games - 2.50 - .932

Alex Nedeljkovic - 26 games - 2.71 - .912

Jussi Olkinoura - 15 games - 3.75 - .868

Victor Brattstrom - 18 games - 3.71 - .885

John Lethemon - 9 games - 3.88 - .878

Sebastian Cossa - 3 games - 5.57 - .783

One of these goalies is not like the other.  Cossa was so bad compared to the rest of his teammates that Grand Rapids had to invoke the mercy rule and he was sent to the ECHL.  The team may have been dog crap, but Cossa's dog crap smelled substantially worse than the rest of his goalie teammates.

As for his ECHL numbers, you do realize that the worst of the worst goalies play in the ECHL right?  The next lower league after the ECHL is basically the beer league at 8 rinks.

Let's compare now what Wallstedt did with the Iowa Wild:

Jesper Wallstedt - 38 games - 2.68 - .908

Zane McIntyre - 34 games - 2.87 - .899

So Wallstedt, who is 20 years old, outperformed his 30-year-old teammate, Zane McIntyre, a career AHL'er with really good numbers in the AHL over the last 3 seasons, by quite a margin.  

In fact, Wallstedt, at 20 years old, outperformed many of his peers in the AHL last season:

AHL Goalie Stats 2022-2023 (quanthockey.com)

Jesper Wallstedt - 38 games - 2.68 - .908

Akira Schmid - 23 games - 2.62 - .905

Akira Schmid was so good last year that New Jersey brought him up to play in the NHL.  He had a 2.13 GAA and .922 SV% in 18 games in the NHL.  He also starred for New Jersey in the playoffs.  He is 23 years old.  Jesper Wallstedt, who is only 20 years old, had almost identical numbers to Akira Schmid in the AHL.  So, Jesper Wallstedt is on a similar projectory to Akira Schmid to play and star in the NHL.  Meanwhile, Sebastian Cossa is hanging out in the ECHL.

As for the Detroit defence, Chiarot is worse than Myers, Holl can't hold Soucy's jockstrap.  Hronek is at the same level as Seider whether you want to believe it or not, Seider still has alot to prove and Hronek was better than him last year.  Hughes is a phenom, Detroit doesn't have a comparable to him and they are still crying they passed on him and took Zadina instead.  Cole is better than Maatta, Cole played in Tampa's top 4 last year and is severely underrated.  I guess Ghost is matched up with Hughes.  Oh boy, that's like comparing Paul Coffey to Tyson Barrie.  I guess Petry is matched up with Juulsen.  I'll give the edge to Petry.  Overall, Canucks defence > Detroit's defence.

• Cheers 2