The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Rick Dhaliwal ‏@DhaliwalSports  8m8 minutes ago

Sources says Alexandre Burrows and his agent will meet in Montreal this week to discuss his future. #Canucks

Montreal would be a good trade for Burrows, if done now he would have a few days to find a place to stay if he needs one.

Burrows did his best to jump start the Sedins, but their total lack of defense sabotaged his attempt.

One after another give away or bad pass by the Sedins... two goals allowed while their line was on.  Yeah, they scored once... but the rest of the time not so good.

I watched Burrows retrieve the puck, get it out of danger several times, then pass it to a Sedin who gives it away within seconds.

WD's reaction... shorten the bench... play the Sedins more!

WD plays Labate more than any of the rest of the newbies... he takes a stupid cheapshot penalty... then loses a fight... which inspires San Jose to take over the game... WD plays him more!!

Grenier showed more offensive flair in his few moments than Labate, but he's the one who is benched.  Grenier has twice the touch on the puck than Megna, Gaunce, or Labate.

As long as this team is being run by WD there is no chance of making the playoffs.... but maybe that's the plan?

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It would be tough to see Burrows in another uniform but if it gave him a crack at a CUP I would cheer him on. Few players in the history of this org have done more to bring a winner to Vancouver. His desire to win is surpassed by no other. His ability to make big plays and score big goals when needed is legendary. When he first came up from the Moose the Canucks were a pretty docile bunch who had become accepting of defeat. Burrows and Kesler took a lot of flack over their approach to the game but I suggest it was absolutely needed. The history of the Canucks will give the Sedins most of the credit for 2011 but I would put crunch players like Bieksa, Kesler and BURROWS right up there.

I think the Sedins do and will get all the credit for the two President's Trophies.  I think the 2011 playoff run will be remembered - by those who watched it - as a Burrows / Kesler accomplishment at least as much as the Sedins.

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think the Sedins do and will get all the credit for the two President's Trophies.  I think the 2011 playoff run will be remembered - by those who watched it - as a Burrows / Kesler accomplishment at least as much as the Sedins.

I don't think the sedins will have a playoff legacy.... they didn't have the extra gear when it mattered. That's not meant to be a knock, They played their best every game. But players like Burr and Kes were competitors, they wanted it so bad that they dialled it up. 

• Upvote 1

It will be hard to see Burr move on especially if we are forced to hang on to other vets because of what have turned out to be bad contracts I.e. Edler, Eriksson.    For a team re-building, burr and Hansen display the attitude and work ethic our young kids need. Our Swedish leaders do not IMO provide the on-ice leadership I want our kids to learn. 

Back to Burr....If we can move him and sign him back at a discount, that would be awesome.  If he can't be traded, bring him back on a one year see deal at a discount. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Luongo, Hamhuis, Salo, and Bieksa equally kicked ass.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

It will be hard to see Burr move on especially if we are forced to hang on to other vets because of what have turned out to be bad contracts I.e. Edler, Eriksson.    For a team re-building, burr and Hansen display the attitude and work ethic our young kids need. Our Swedish leaders do not IMO provide the on-ice leadership I want our kids to learn. 

Back to Burr....If we can move him and sign him back at a discount, that would be awesome.  If he can't be traded, bring him back on a one year see deal at a discount. 

+1

I was not only hoping to see the Canucks win a Stanley Cup in my lifetime, but to see Alex Burrows raise the Cup for Vancouver when we do.

sigh. But I do wish Alex the best and will be cheering for whatever team he may be traded to at the TD to win it all just to see his face when he lifts the Cup. It will be an honour for him and his hard work, but also a big 'suck it' to Auger, Maclean, and Bettman the refs and the whole league disciplinary committee.

• Upvote 3

I really love the attitude Burrows has displayed over the years. The tremendous steps he took over his career to get to where he is today. I can't deny it, I often found myself getting angry at him for plays he made or penalties he took over the years. He kinda grew on me. I wasn't that big of a fan to start with, but I've been a fan for a long time now. He still holds to date my absolute favourite hockey moment of all time and best goal ever scored by the Canucks when we "slayed the dragon". 

If he has to be moved, I really, really hope JB can work out a deal with the Canadiens to move him there before the deadline. That would be in my mind just about the only fitting place for him right now.

• Upvote 2