The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Same thing as when AV got fired; I'm not gonna give (ex)GMMG crap.

We saw our best years as an organization with him at the helm, he was a part of that. He was a part of the crash too, but he helped piece together some great teams here.

Best of luck to you Mike Gillis.

The fact that every player had an off season is pretty key that there is a problem with the coach. I was really excited when he was first hired, not afraid to admit that I was wrong, just really disappointed.

I am now horrified at the thought of Torts and Jay Feaster together.

One of my biggest concerns is this. The owners want to sell tickets and next year was going to be an issue. Something had to be done in order to give fans an unknown, something to "see"...reason to buy in. So a reactionary thing is to stay onside with them and give them what they chant for...hey, they want this so let's keep the ticket buyers happy. People will be "excited" now....they'll want to see. They'll "believe" all over again.

Obviously, owners want the best for the team but running right alongside of that is their desire for people to keep showing up. So motives are split in that they obviously are scrambling to make sure those tickets are sold next year. We'll now get the "new and improved" campaign. I'll reserve judgement until I see what unfolds....

Sorry, I'm a bit of a party crasher that way.

totally agree with you firing AV and gillis have to be this organizations worst moves in their history. Now it's basically a guarantee we will suck for 5-10 years. Gillis was just starting to rebuild this team (kassian, horvat, shinkaruk, Maithas,) they fired him to early.

what the heck you talking about? Gillis fired AV to save his own arse. Why did he fire him then?

Why has this team drastically declined since 2011? Didn't improve or stay competitive after 2011 like Chi and Bos, only gotten worse every single year.

This could have a lot to do with Aquilini not trusting Gillis to make the Kesler deal in the offseason.

That could be one of the most important trades in the history of this franchise,

It could also have something to do with Gillis turning down what ANH offered at the trade deadline:

Etem or Pallmieri, OTT 1st, and ANH 1st 2015

Gillis said no,

Brian Murry was reportedly "Shocked" Maybe the Aquas were too.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Subject to change: we should learn more in next day or two regarding Linden as Canucks president and process to hire Gillis' successor.

Dregs still sticking to the script about Linden. Is he trying to save a better candidate for President to help save Nonis' butt?

I'll wait until I see something concrete that Linden's involved at all before I believe it.

No dude, it's the drastic decline in only 3 years, while teams like Chi and Bos keep improving. From SCF, out in 5, out in 4, no playoffs....That is a problem

What???

We won the presidents trophy again in 2012, and lost in the first round cause our best player was out from an incredibly dirty cheapshot.

Last year was the year where we took a step back, it was clearly time to reshift and refocus the organization.

That started this season, and it tooked to have some promise before massive injuries slowed this team in its tracks that left most of the players played remarkably bad in the 2nd half. But either way reshifting this organization wasn't going to happen overnight, they had to have some patience & atleast given him the 2nd year to follow through on what he started at the draft.

Forget everyone else, forget missing the playoffs, most of the bad stuff that has happened involving Gillis has been bad luck. And thats the truth not an excuse. Think about it.

In the middle of trading a valuable asset in Luongo a lockout happens, a new CBA is brought in and the CBA destroyed that asset's value which forced him into dealing Schneider. Thats the goalie situation.

Then you have this season where the team was going well, and they hit a massive amount of injuries that derailed the season and we couldn't come back from it. And so-on and so-forth.

I've not a fan of everything Gillis has done, but to me its the wrong time. This to me is the beginning of the downward spiral, it didn't start 3 year ago. Get ready to pick McDavid next year.

Archived