The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Backes rejects 3 years $5.5mil AAV contract from Blues

The St. Louis Blues have a decision to make regarding David Backes, but dealing him doesn't appear to be in the cards.

A pending unrestricted free agent, Backes is making $4.5 million in the final year of his contract while collecting only 28 points in 51 games, but the team doesn't plan on trading him before the trade deadline.

Related: 3 players underwhelming in contract years

"The least likely scenario would be to trade him because we're trying to win," general manager Doug Armstrong told Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The Blues reportedly opened contract talks with Backes in training camp and held a serious round of negotiations. They offered him a three-year deal with an average annual value of about $5.5 million, which the 31-year-old captain turned down, multiple sources told Rutherford.

Despite a lack of progress since then and the deadline inching closer, Armstrong isn't considering getting something in return for Backes prior to Feb. 29.

"A first-round pick does us no good when we're going to this year's playoffs," the GM said.

"I think we're going to be a good team and he's a big part of being a good team. He's our captain, he's our leader. We've had the most points in the NHL over the last five or six years. I mean, he's doing something right. If we didn't want to keep him, we wouldn't have talked to him in the first place. We've got now until March to find out where we're at."

Backes won't become a free agent until July 1, but in not moving him, the Blues risk losing him for nothing or paying a premium to outbid other suitors in free agency this summer. The center doesn't seem fazed that he and his club haven't hammered out a new deal, though.

"That's OK, but I think both sides are optimistic and believe something is going to get done," Backes said.

"I wish I had a magic 8-ball and I could tell you, but I just can’t. The business side needs to make sense on all fronts. I try to keep the team stuff in the front of my mind. The contract, all that stuff, will all take care of itself.”

Armstrong is also optimistic.

"I've been led to believe that he'd love to stay here,” he said. "From my perspective, there's no question that we want him. Now we've just got to see if the business side works. It's not a personal thing, there's no outlining factors of what we need to see or what he needs. I don't want to speak for him, but this is a business decision."

Backes will suit up for his 700th career game Sunday night against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Sounds like a classic bargaining move. I don't know why people get their panties in such a bunch about this. You start low, they counter with a high one, you arrive at one in the middle, it's just normal bargaining.

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

That Kesler contract really screwed things up for alot of teams I think.

Now 50-60 point guys are going to use him as a comparable for what they should be making.

This is pretty much the case. Personally I like the way Backes plays but he will likely end up with a contract between 6.5 - 7 million a year which is to much especially given the uncertainty with the cap in the future.

If I'm St. Louis, I would trade him. He was never an elite level player at any point in his career but will be asking for minimum of 6.5 million with terms (5 years?). At 31 (soon to be 32), he isn't getting any better and >= 6.5 million dollars salary is going to be a big burden down the road. 

And it has been proven over and over again that he cannot lead his team deep in the playoffs. It will be the same this year as they will have to play Chicago at some point and he is much inferior player to Toewes so they just won't win. Time to take a different route.

Low ball now before the playoffs. If Backes performs well, his camp can counter with a higher offer. If he doesn't perform well, a higher counter by Backes' agent will be rejected by the Blues. They spoke last year and the year before about how they needed to get faster/more skilled to succeed in the playoffs. Backes doesn't step his game up.

18 minutes ago, khay said:

If I'm St. Louis, I would trade him. He was never an elite level player at any point in his career but will be asking for minimum of 6.5 million with terms (5 years?). At 31 (soon to be 32), he isn't getting any better and >= 6.5 million dollars salary is going to be a big burden down the road. 

And it has been proven over and over again that he cannot lead his team deep in the playoffs. It will be the same this year as they will have to play Chicago at some point and he is much inferior player to Toewes so they just won't win. Time to take a different route.

He is on a similar pace to what Kes finished last year. 1 year older. You are bang on at 5 years, 6.5 million (Kes 6 years 6.875 million)

Kes is on pace for 18 goals, 37 points, and is getting PAID $7.875 this year. 

Backes is a 2nd line C, I wouldnt want him on my team at anything over 5.5m per myself, he has played alot of tough minutes, Will be 32 as a ufa and is having a down year.

He would be an ideal fit for Edm. If they moved Draisaitl to wing and traded RNH for a good D man

issue here is term.  he should easily squeak out 5-6 years on the open market.

5.5 is very close to his appropriate number.  this is why they started with 3 years.  its a bargaining chip.  if he wants more, theyll want to drive the $ aav down.

personally i think backes is overrated.  not that creative offensively, not great defensively, and average on the draw.  hes a grinder that can pot 50-60 points.  he got value for sure, but I wouldnt want to break the bank on him.  

for a guy who seems like he should be the prototypical playoff performer, hes got a whopping 5 goals and 13 points in 29 career games and has led his team to the 2nd round once in 9 seasons.  I hope they overpay for him.

Archived