The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

On 2/11/2019 at 8:50 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

I have been watching Gudbranson very closely for the last number of games.

Like I said in tonight's GDT, I LOVE the IDEA of Guddy. A big mean D man who can punish the other team. 

But unfortunately I have come to realize he does not do this in real life, or rarely. His skating is so poor for the NHL level that his slow skating does not allow him to close on fore checkers fast enough to hit them hard without getting a late hit penalty. Watch Motte. He weighs 50 pounds less than Guddy and doles out more punishment.

His passing is below average. 

I finally have come to the conclusion he needs to go. JB needs to search for another big mean D man that can play a #6 D position while doling out some pain. Guddy is not that guy. Trade him if possible. 

I've been trying to avoid watching him for the last few weeks because I was afraid of what I'd see.. I was always on the Gud bandwagon because of what he brings to the team.. 

however.. since Ed went down, I can't help noticing his weaknesses.. 

sigh.. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/11/2019 at 9:41 PM, Seinfeld said:

Am I the only that would do a Brenden Dillon for Gudbranson swap in a heartbeat?

Makes half of his salary too, yeesh.

The problem is the Sharks would laugh.  I was at the Canuck's and Sharks game.  Dillon is way better with the puck than Gudbranson and he played way more aggressive. 

Dillon was noticeable in a good way.  If they could leverage Gudbranson + + to get Huberdeau I am on that wagon.  

Heres the thing: Gudbranson is the best defensive Dman nucks have. In front of the own net i cant think of anyone other then edler to match his capacity there. Thats why he is there. I only wish there was some Offensively minded Dman to be by his side. Someone that goes up and down like a squirrel on Coffeine. I think that would work out well. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

3 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Heres the thing: Gudbranson is the best defensive Dman nucks have. In front of the own net i cant think of anyone other then edler to match his capacity there. Thats why he is there. I only wish there was some Offensively minded Dman to be by his side. Someone that goes up and down like a squirrel on Coffeine. I think that would work out well. 

What about Tanev? Only Edler rivals his shot blocking prowess and Tanev's stick work in passing lanes is extraordinary. Gudbranson has his moments, but can easily get turned around by quick passing or skating.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tanev is definetly one of the better we have, but he doesnt have that gritty physical side that guddy has. Come playoff time i would stil prefer guddy at the backend, while tanev is definetly more allround type of player, the most crucial point in front of the own net needs some physique unless ur extremely well positioned as well as amazing stickhandling. i know its kinda difficult, but with edler out, i say we need that kind of physical prowess there. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Gudbranson is probably the 5th best defensive d-man on this squad. He's not good in front of his net, he's bad with his stick and for a guy with his size he doesn't do a good enough job boxing out.  He ranks 1st in toughness, and 1st in intimidation and those have their value but other than that he's just all around pretty bad.  If he made 2-3 million it would be much easier to swallow

I’m okay with your valuation of Guddy.  I see a huge uptick in his play when Quinn Hughes gets here.  Guddy needs to simplify his game to where he handles bodies to free up pucks.  Quinn is perfect for collecting those pucks and moving up the ice.  His great skills will force other teams to back off their forecheck, so they don’t get outnumbered on the counter.  

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

So many people here have some weird fetish for the guy lol. He’s just not a very good player on a equally bad contract . 

.. but EG is the perfect offset type of D man if we had legit #1 and #2 Dmen.

We have never had a true #1.. and don’t count on any prospect being one for 3 years.

We have to get a legit/proven #1

.. I’m tired of the regurgitated country club fan faving of Edler and Tanev.

Keep Edler if we must.. But move Tanev and add a prospect and or pick to somehow get an EK type Dman.

We only get half seasons of play out of each, and we treat them like they’re #1’s.

Again.. This team deserves a #1, proven, Dman ..   and no team has ever won a Stanley Cup without a legit #1.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Crack is legal?

That is what you would have to smoke to think Guddy is a better defensive D man than Tanev.

Guddy is one of the best in the league at why can do, which intimidate, fight, and be physically imposing.  Tanev is better at playing harder minutes in a shutdown role.  They are completely different players.  At this time in our rebuild, we need Guddy’s skills more than Tanev’s.  

On 2/13/2019 at 10:19 PM, Alflives said:

I’m okay with your valuation of Guddy.  I see a huge uptick in his play when Quinn Hughes gets here.  Guddy needs to simplify his game to where he handles bodies to free up pucks.  Quinn is perfect for collecting those pucks and moving up the ice.  His great skills will force other teams to back off their forecheck, so they don’t get outnumbered on the counter.  

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

.. but EG is the perfect offset type of D man if we had legit #1 and #2 Dmen.

We have never had a true #1.. and don’t count on any prospect being one for 3 years.

We have to get a legit/proven #1

.. I’m tired of the regurgitated country club fan faving of Edler and Tanev.

Keep Edler if we must.. But move Tanev and add a prospect and or pick to somehow get an EK type Dman.

We only get half seasons of play out of each, and we treat them like they’re #1’s.

Again.. This team deserves a #1, proven, Dman ..   and no team has ever won a Stanley Cup without a legit #1.

Gotta agree with these posts.  Guddy can't carry a pair on his own, but could still be a good complementary piece.  Either Hughes or Juolevi could bring him around.  The issue with our defense isn't just lack of talent.  It's also incredibly badly constructed:  the whole less than the sum of the parts on nearly every pairing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know who I want to drive to the airport first. Pouliot or Guddy. Both drive me up the bloody wall and I feel my blood pressure will go back to normal the second they get the hell off this team. Hell, I'm gonna rent a bus so I can drive them, Eriksson, Granlund, Sutter and Schaller to YVR. One way ticket to Siberia. Adios muchachos!

• Haha 1