The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall goalie Thatcher Demko

JV77

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It seems JB used assets to develop hi goaltending and D first. (Probably because they take longer to mature than the fowards). He used assets to find place holders in several forward positions. (Baer, Granlund, Dorsett) He took the power forward in his first draft (JV) because those guys take longer to mature into their role - much like the defencemen.  I think in the coming drafts he takes forwards with elite skill who have very high ceilings (Herchier for example) and who will be in our lineup when the young D are hitting their primes.  I would LOVE to see JB trade Edler or Tanev, or both for young elite skilled forwards.  

+10

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

He OKd a deal he knew was cheating the spirit of the cap. Who would you like to blame then? Does Bettman strike you as a guy that would take something like that lying down? It was a dumb move by G+G that has potentially disastrous consequences to the next core. 

Excellent post.  Gary Betman probably warned the GMs about Cap circumvention.  Wasn't Gillis known for his arrogance?

Great for Demko and Garteig!

Thatcher earned it, but don't feel bad for the Comets.  I liked the Garteig signing by the Canucks.  Solid College career and while he lacks some of the International experience of Demko, Demko never won the Doyle Cup and Royal Bank Cup!    Garteig had a great season with the Penticton Vees with defensive help from none other than Troy Stecher.  They - Demko and Garteig - could both man the pipes in Vancouver some day!

54 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I have been posting for years about Vancouver being the "goalie graveyard" and one possible reason, as you stated dehydration.

Dehydration caused by flying.

The air in an airplane is dehydrated to prevent moisture build up and the cabins are pressurized to 8000 feet. This affects goalies more causing them the need for longer time to recover. 

Even if cramps don't occur dehydration cause motor and brain functions to slow.

Smaller older people would be affected more and faster.

Boxer's that sweat down to make weight immediately drown themselves to rehydrate as fast as possible, but being on a plane delays rehydration and indeed reverses that from happening.

In the SCF, Vancouver had already flown 5 times the hours as Boston and both Vancouver goalies ended up suffering from prolonged air travel, for Schnides, he got severe cramping, for Luongo, being aired out twice.

Maybe management is going to showcase Demko so they can trade him.

Wow. Never thought of that I remember watching Schneider hit his water bottle every stoppage.  Maybe IV of fluids?

2 minutes ago, UTICANUCK said:

Great for Demko and Garteig!

Thatcher earned it, but don't feel bad for the Comets.  I liked the Garteig signing by the Canucks.  Solid College career and while he lacks some of the International experience of Demko, Demko never won the Doyle Cup and Royal Bank Cup!    Garteig had a great season with the Penticton Vees with defensive help from none other than Troy Stecher.  They - Demko and Garteig - could both man the pipes in Vancouver some day!

That's great news, UTI.  What with Marks playing well, it looks like Garteig and possibly Demko will have plenty of time to develop in Utica.  Goaltending is all set for Canucks and Comets for  years, that's for sure.

23 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

He OKd a deal he knew was cheating the spirit of the cap. Who would you like to blame then? Does Bettman strike you as a guy that would take something like that lying down? It was a dumb move by G+G that has potentially disastrous consequences to the next core. 

What about Holland then, he said flat out that he wasn't concerned with the contracts given out to his players, he even said the player would just retire and that would end the contract, at the time that was the rule.

Look into how many teams were already doing contracts just like Luongo's, Detroit, Pittsburg, Boston, Tampa, Chicago,

Look at Hossa's that was signed one year earlier, 12 years 63 mil, compared to Luo's 12 years 64 mil, both have similar cap hits.

This contract was nothing new, just one of many commonly done.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

What about Holland then, he said flat out that he wasn't concerned with the contracts given out to his players, he even said the player would just retire and that would end the contract, at the time that was the rule.

Look into how many teams were already doing contracts just like Luongo's, Detroit, Pittsburg, Boston, Tampa, Chicago,

Look at Hossa's that was signed one year earlier, 12 years 63 mil, compared to Luo's 12 years 64 mil, both have similar cap hits.

One of about 20 that everyone knew the league would have to put a stop to. And Hossa's might be the only one that works out! 

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Early retirement is what will trigger the penalty.  

Some of these teams went deep in the playoffs and even won Cups by using these contracts as they were operating so close to the cap.  Their roster would have not been the same without these type of contracts.  

Teams were offered an out with the compliance buyout window.  Rangers used it on Brad Richards, Buffalo on Ehrhoff.  The Kings hesitated but decided to keep Mike Richards - they now have his recapture penalty on their books.  

17 hours ago, samurai said:

I am sure you are joking but he is a long way from being NHL ready.  He is getting better for sure.

Price was NHL ready at 18... whys there a misconception that every player has to develop in jrs/minors/college???? The truly elite can play in the NHL at 18, ones that will be good in the league may be ready a year or two later... if he's gone 7-1 in the ahl, he's proving that he may be ready to go the next jump and get a game or two taste. 

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

True, but still... It would be nothing but outrageous if Luongo hangs up his gloves in 2020 or 2021... Guess in that case they would just buy him back and put him LTIR.. IF he agrees to it...

Luongo whining about his contract was nothing short of sickening...

I loved Lui and defended him many times but I agree. Boo hoo I'm a millionaire. 

7 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

He hasn't had one yet is a bit of a stretch.  He isn't 20, and he has played almost 100 games.  That's quite a lot for a goalie.  That's three full seasons as a backup.  He seems to be mentally a lot stronger now as he would choke badly every time he got called up to the NHL, but you can't deny that his numbers are well below average still.  I hope he gets better, but how long are we supposed to wait?

He was almost ruined by Florida. Handed the starting position after proving nothing while playing behind a glorified AHL Panthers team, then left blaming himself after they bring in Tim Thomas as a desperation move.

Since coming to Van, it's been a clear, smooth transition. He spent his time in Utica and ripped $&!# up. What do you mean "how long do we have to wait?". The wait is literally over, he's an NHL netminder.

I treat it like his 'career' began in Vancouver, because it kinda did...

11 minutes ago, nergish said:

He was almost ruined by Florida. Handed the starting position after proving nothing while playing behind a glorified AHL Panthers team, then left blaming himself after they bring in Tim Thomas as a desperation move.

Since coming to Van, it's been a clear, smooth transition. He spent his time in Utica and ripped $&!# up. What do you mean "how long do we have to wait?". The wait is literally over, he's an NHL netminder.

I treat it like his 'career' began in Vancouver, because it kinda did...

Sure but his numbers in Vancouver are nothing to brag about.  He is the reason why we are a bottom 10 in save percentage this season.

6 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Price was NHL ready at 18... whys there a misconception that every player has to develop in jrs/minors/college???? The truly elite can play in the NHL at 18, ones that will be good in the league may be ready a year or two later... if he's gone 7-1 in the ahl, he's proving that he may be ready to go the next jump and get a game or two taste. 

so price played 2 extra years of junior, what, for fun?

On 12/10/2016 at 10:08 AM, ILL BILL NECRO said:

I normally don't agree with many fruits around here let alone juice, however this is clearly what is happing.... Anyone who fallows this team knows they do this and I agree with it.

Juice are the better version of the original fruits. 

But even then, we know Demko is part of our future. It's not going to hurt to have him up here and start getting the feel of some NHL experience so he can then adapt much quicker when he does become an NHL regular

Archived