The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Should we cut kesler some slack?

Mike Ross

18 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Be worse if he walked after a contract running out.

Pieces eventually turned into Sutter, Gudbranson & Sbisa.

It wasn't textbook-transition, but at this point all parties should quietly accept, & move on.

Part of this reaction is as a fan base we were emotionally invested in Kesler and what he did for us and the team.  Not easy to watch our elite second line and elite goaltending  disappear when they had so many more miles left in them.  Kesler is still killing it in ANA and got yet another selke nomination last year. That said I couldnt help but smile watching Ties kid Ko him...That is until I saw Bieksa help him off the ice and then felt a little bad for smiling. 

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

He was a jerk while here and a true a..... when he decided to waive his no trade to only two teams- of which only one had any interest/ability to trade for him. I would have either made him completely open the no trade clause to include every team or paid him to sit at home, and by sit at home I mean exactly that. No paid vacations, come into practice after the team has left, and let him know he better be ready in case I decide to let him play. No free rides.

Lost respect for him when he asked to be traded. Unfortunately, not everyone is Kevin Bieksa and willing to go down with the ship.

Just now, canucklehead80 said:

Lost respect for him when he asked to be traded. Unfortunately, not everyone is Kevin Bieksa and willing to go down with the ship.

I didn't like the asking to be traded, but do understand that things can change; however  he was the one wanting to break the contract, thus he should have been the one paying the price. Wide open for trades or to heck with him, sit him and let him rot.

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Nothing against him  He saw how badly Gillis had destroyed the team and realized that it was impossible to fix the damage within his prime years.

eh?  Gillis took his shot & came within one game of winning the ultimate prize (we just ran out of healthy D).

That's what you get for mortgaging some of the future to 'go for it' (eg., dealing picks).  I would've disliked Gillis even more for not 'almost going all in' when he had core pieces (that he inherited to be sure) in their prime.  He paid the price for failing to win the Cup - he got fired.

Absolutely, Kesler gave it 110% day in and day out until his last day, the guy was a competitor and wanted to win. He did everything he could to win a cup with us and he saw the window closing. I hope he wins a cup because he was a big time favourite here and to turn our backs on him and forget what he did just speaks volum about the "fans" we have

I have nothing against Kesler. He used to be my favourite player. Quite frankly, we're missing a guy like him in our line-up. Yes, the way he left was pretty bad but this guy is one of the best offensive-defensive centers in the entire league. 

No question Kesler gave it his all during his time here. At the end of the day, business is business.

13 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Get over it, just part of the business. Much like Bure before him or Luongo, they have a short career and want to make the most of it.

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

I hope he wins a cup because he was a big time favourite here and to turn our backs on him and forget what he did just speaks volum about the "fans" we have

Quid pro quo (I hope I'm using the right term).  

He turned his back on the team with that one team list.  **** him  (heh I haven't forgotten him accepting that offer sheet from Booby Clarke as well)

59 minutes ago, xereau said:

Kesler is cancer.  Remember the game where the Islanders scored 5 in the 3rd period?

Kesler, on TV, hysterically screeching "Why me, why me?" as he walked to the dressing room.

His actions speak much louder than my words ever could.

And lets not forget the trade list.  Of one team.  One.  What a freaking douche bag.

I will never forget.  And never forgive.

Well losing like that was absolutely unnacceptable 

We love Kesler and we love to hate Kesler.

It is what it is.

When he's playing against the Canucks or Team Canada - suck it Kesler.

Othewise, always a Canuck and all that stuff.   Wouldn't mind seeing him and Bieksa win something in Anaheim - as long as they don't have to go through us in the process.

He turned from a late 1st into an elite two way forward for the team - and then he turned into a great return that continues to grow for the club.  All in all, brought a lot of value and left a lot of value, plus the value of trash-talking him when he comes back to town.

Winners just want to win........

Can't begrudge him for that.   He held all the cards and played them well to get where he wanted.  Thats just smart business.

We got back some pretty solid pieces so the deal worked out well for both clubs. 

Looks like the team this year is channeling some inner "Kes" in terms of how hard the guys are battling....

Kes  ( and his compete legacy )  lives on for our franchise forever........   I for one am very glad we had Kes on our club for all those years....

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

The only bitterness I have towards Keeper is how he handcuffed management into sending him to the Ducks.  The fact we got any return at all is astonishing.

I get that he wanted to move on.  It sucked and was selfish in itself, but he wanted a chance to win the cup and I cant blame him for that.  But to want it so much as to screw over your former team.... I just find that unacceptable.  And for that and that alone, I am happy to hear him get booed on our ice.

i agree with this

and add that kesler is a caustic personality

who when he is on your team and rowing well with his teammates

he has an elite competition level

he did harm the team as a result of the handcuffing maner in which he arranged his departure

i simply take some consolation in the fact that i think the ducks

are overpaying him in his present contract

for work he actually did as a canuck

he was a very good player for us and we got better than full value from him

good luck kesler

i think you will find your new team is in fact diminishing and will shortly be worse than the canucks

If the trade at the time had have been Kesler for Gudbranson, Sbisa and Sutter, the fans would have been doing back flips. On paper, that sounds like a damn good trade.

It's not like Lou left on great terms either, yet there's a sickening love fest whenever he comes back to town. People loved Kesler when he was our douchebag. Now he's just a douchebag.

6 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Kesler is a big boy and should be able to handle some boos. Even Bure had detractors for the way he left. Why should Kesler be immune?

Getting Jovocop in the Bure trade helped lessen some of the hurt.  Plus didn't Bure have some legitimate beef with management (re: the way his contracts were often handled)?  Kesler was always well paid by the organization.

Archived