The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Article: The Score's Mock Expansion Draft Protection Lists for teams in Pacific Div.

Beary Sweet

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Interesting question is, why did we give Eriksson a NMC when we are already paying him top dollar and long term deal. If we thought ahead and planned for the expansion draft, we could now expose Eriksson and be home free. We even have talk of Benning being coined as our best GM ever... 

is it not possible to ask Loui to waive?

11 minutes ago, Glug Datt said:

is it not possible to ask Loui to waive?

Why would he?  I could see one of the twins waiving for the good of the team, as no way either of them gets selected........pretty good chance LE gets plucked.

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Joulevi needs to produce Erik Karlsson like numbers to justify saying Vancouver made the right pick. Tkachuk in his rookie year looks like is on pace for 50 to 55 points, if he can do that in his rookie year imagine what happens when he reaches his prime. 

I'll give Tkatchuk another 2-3 years of consistently putting up 50+ points, just like I will give Juolevi a couple of years in the NHL before I start counting him out. Some rookies have hot starts to their careers and then their numbers drop after a couple of solid seasons. Gabriel Landeskog, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Dion Phaneuf and Tyler Myers are great recent examples of that. And if you expect Olli to put up Erik Karlsson numbers, you will be sorely disappointed.

Zero chance the Canucks dont protect Gudbranson and Sutter.

Sutter aint an offensive juggernaut, but hes miles ahead of Brendan Gaunce.  I could see the argument around Sbisa and Gudbranson, but when looking at the right and left depth chart, the Canucks have less depth on the right side.  Also consider that Sbisa is 2 full years older than Gudbranson, and has JUST started to figure out positional play.  Both started as teenagers, and both play similar styles, but Gudbranson is bigger and meaner while he should hit his stride in a year or two.  Its not uncommon for Dmen to become smarter players in their late 20s.  Gudbranson is a month removed from being 24.  Still all the potential in the world to be a solid mean and physical shutdown defender.  Hell prove his value, but like Sbisa you may not see the fruit for another year or two.

Sbisa and Gaunce will be exposed.  While Sbisa would be the better player currently, there may be enough other defenders available via other teams.  I think Gaunce gets selected.  Hes young and ready for a full time bottom 6 defensive/PK role.  Should look good beside Richardson on a 4th line in Vegas.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's with the Gudbranson hate? The guy is injured, probably played injured for the bulk of the time he was playing. 

Might as well hate Rodin while you're at it? 

CDC with the memory of a goldfish? 

Man, by all accounts he had that fight with a messed up wrist, too.  Guys got a pair.

We're rebuilding and I'd love to have Gudbrandson's toughness shaping the new core.  It's the exact kind of leadership this fan base has been clamouring for.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What's with the Gudbranson hate? The guy is injured, probably played injured for the bulk of the time he was playing. 

Might as well hate Rodin while you're at it? 

CDC with the memory of a goldfish? 

The Gudbranson hate on here is symptomatic of fans buying wholeheartedly into analytics BS as the whole of the truth regarding a player's worth to a team. It's stupid, to say the least.

Benning knows what he's doing and knew that the Canucks clearly needed a player of Gudbranson's ability.

The Canucks used to be the most skilled team in the entire league, a team that could skate around most teams. However, that same team was also easily managed once any team imposed it's physical will on them. The 2011 Finals, and the two subsequent first round exits more than prove this. The team had a serious issue of mental fragility that allowed for teams to beat them psychologically, as much as physically and on the scoreboard.  

Gudbranson is staying.

38 minutes ago, J.R. said:

The amount of ignorance in this thread is hard to read.

It began with an article out of Toronto, from a guy who knows nothing about the Canucks... so kind of what you'd expect to grow in that garden.

Anyone that thinks Benning would expose Guddy or Sutter knows nothing about this team. Benning will probably try to do a draft day deal for Sbisa, maybe Edler depending on the location (wouldn't count on it tho) but Sbisa is the easiest to move, and replace. Even if McPhee for some reason doesn't pick Sbisa (which would be really dumb on his part imo) Jim can still trade a D man post-draft once all the smoke clears from expansion.

22 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks are going to protect Sbisa over Gudbranson? Is the Score really that out to lunch that they think Benning would walk from Gudbranson after an injury marred season?

And Gaunce is going to be protected over Sutter.....Huh?

No one east of Calgary knows any of these names, other than maybe Guddy. The guy was at the end of his article and wrote the 1st crap that came into his head.

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

It began with an article out of Toronto, from a guy who knows nothing about the Canucks... so kind of what you'd expect to grow in that garden.

Anyone that thinks Benning would expose Guddy or Sutter knows nothing about this team. Benning will probably try to do a draft day deal for Sbisa, maybe Edler depending on the location (wouldn't count on it tho) but Sbisa is the easiest to move, and replace. Even if McPhee for some reason doesn't pick Sbisa (which would be really dumb on his part imo) Jim can still trade a D man post-draft once all the smoke clears from expansion.

I wouldn't be so sure on Sbisa and it would have to be before the NHL draft (unless you're referring to the Expansion Draft?). Sbisa would arguably be hardest to move of the three guys we might move (Edler, Tanev and Sbisa).

Teams will be trying to better position themselves for the ED which means they'll be looking for guys who would be upgrades on their 3rd D that they would otherwise be protecting. You don't trade for a #4/5 D only to have to expose and likely lose him in a few days. You might however trade for a guy who's better than your present #3D and protect that new guy instead.

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I wouldn't be so sure on Sbisa and it would have to be before the NHL draft (unless you're referring to the Expansion Draft?). Sbisa would arguably be hardest to move of the three guys we might move (Edler, Tanev and Sbisa).

Teams will be trying to better position themselves for the ED which means they'll be looking for guys who would be upgrades on their 3rd D that they would otherwise be protecting. You don't trade for a #4/5 D only to have to expose and likely lose him in a few days. You might however trade for a guy who's better than your present #3D and protect that new guy instead.

Sbisa is the "easiest" for these reasons: Edler has the say if he stays or goes - edit: for a TRADE not exposing and I think JB values him as a mentor for Stecher vs Sbisa. Guddy was traded for a 1st rounder, and is hurt. He's not going anywhere. Tanev is likely headed for surgery too, I bet you a coke on that. So its Sbisa.... now whats the likelihood? Probably low, but if some other team does a deal with Vegas, then that team is free to grab up a guy like Sbisa.

The most likely scenario, and its not a bad one really, is Sbisa is exposed. He presents really good value for Vegas. He'd solidify the likely D group, add some hitting, and his highish salary is good for Vegas to meet the floor. For us, we need the cap space for extending Bo, Guddy and Tryamkin, and maybe have to sign a goalie, and roster space if OJ is going to be given a chance to make the team.

So for me the ideal situation is Sbisa being picked by Vegas, barring a low likelihood trade for him.

Archived