The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonah Gadjovich | LW

saucypass

Jonah should play at least one year in Utica and they could use him.  I like what I've seen so far.  It looks like Utica could have a real decent team next year and hopefully go deeper in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Tuch's faster...but Gadjovich might just have better hands in close and might be a bit more truculent...just needs to work on his skating...

Ya the skating looked pretty clunky at the world juniors but he had a rough year for sicknesses, and injuries. Hopefully he can get his conditioning on point this summer. 

8 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I've been watching the Tampa Bay Lightning in the playoffs a lot, and Gadjovich honestly I've said it before looks like a carbon copy of Alex Killorn. Big bodied, can play in all situations, in front of the net on the powerplay, be trusted to kill penalties, uses his body to protect the puck, use his size to forecheck, and create offense.

Gadjovich might have an edge as he might be a tad grittier than Killorn, but I'd like to think Gadjovich can play the same significant heavy game that Killorn provides for the Lightning. 

I know people like to think Gadjovich is this punishing powerforward, but I really don't see him as that.  I see him as the new age hybrid that can use his body to lay the body, but he looks more interested in making plays, being smart with his stick, being a good two way presence, and creating havoc with his heavy shot.   Kinda like how Johan Franzen played. 

That's a really good comparison. If Gadjovich can improve his skating yo get to that level, it would be great.

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I've been watching the Tampa Bay Lightning in the playoffs a lot, and Gadjovich honestly I've said it before looks like a carbon copy of Alex Killorn. Big bodied, can play in all situations, in front of the net on the powerplay, be trusted to kill penalties, uses his body to protect the puck, use his size to forecheck, and create offense.

Gadjovich might have an edge as he might be a tad grittier than Killorn, but I'd like to think Gadjovich can play the same significant heavy game that Killorn provides for the Lightning. 

I know people like to think Gadjovich is this punishing powerforward, but I really don't see him as that.  I see him as the new age hybrid that can use his body to lay the body, but he looks more interested in making plays, being smart with his stick, being a good two way presence, and creating havoc with his heavy shot.   Kinda like how Johan Franzen played. 

My concern for Gadjovich is his skating and I question the physicality aspect. I admit I have not seen him play that much but his physical play was not a big part of the games I watched. Watched him at WJC and about 3 OHL games. What I did like was his reads on the play. Superior. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

My concern for Gadjovich is his skating and I question the physicality aspect. I admit I have not seen him play that much but his physical play was not a big part of the games I watched. Watched him at WJC and about 3 OHL games. What I did like was his reads on the play. Superior. 

If I am not mistaken, fighting carries an automatic suspension in the OHL?  Or something like that.  I've seen him fight and I don't think his toughness will be a problem. :)

• Upvote 1

The NHL, unlike junior and International hockey, is more of a straight line game.  Gadjovic has really good straight line speed (not as fast as Virtanen, but kind of like that) so he will be even better in the NHL.  

Definitely could use a jump in his skating to be far more effective to get into the harder areas of the ice.  I do think though the term "physicality" is loosely coined as "punishing the opposition" or "getting into fights/drama" but I honestly think physicality IMHO can be spun differently too.  I think Gadjovich uses his physicality differently compared to some other players.

I would say Patric Hornqvist and Milan Lucic are both very physical players, but both are physical in different senses.

Lucic is the prototypical powerforward we all have come accustomed to by being belligerent, using his physical stature to intimidate, and over power others.  He uses his physicality to bruise the opposition, running them through the boards, fighting and what not.  Fellow prospects like Max Jones or Givani Smith have those physical tools, and run around uninhibited because they have the physical tools, but don't necessarily know how to use it effectively.

Patric Hornqvist on the other hand uses his physicality differently, where he goes to the front of the much like Tomas Holmstrom did.  Isn't a punishing player, but uses his physcality to gain body position in front of the net, hounds the puck and uses his size and leverage to extract the puck from the opposition and creates plays from it.   IMO, this is the more cerebral way to be physical.  I think about players like Johan Franzen, Tomas Holmstrom, James Van Riemsdyk, 

I think Gadjovich is more inclined to be "physical" in a cerebral aspect of the game, rather than use it as an intimidating aspect.   I honestly believe this style of game is likely to trend more with powerforwards going forward, as they not only have the physical tools to handle the the rigors of the game to have longevity in the NHL, but also have the actual skills to play it.  You can already see how Lucic's style of game has caught up to him physically and is less inclined to continue that style later into his career and try to pick up a cerebral style game, but he struggles because he just isn't.  Gadj does need to improve his skating by a long shot if he hopes to prolong his career, but he already has the mental makeup, and IQ to play in this league. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

If I am not mistaken, fighting carries an automatic suspension in the OHL?  Or something like that.  I've seen him fight and I don't think his toughness will be a problem. :)

I think they did a rule change a year or two ago where players get two game suspensions after three fights and then suspended for each additional fight (unless they are goaded into fighting by an instigator). It used to be a 10 fight threshold before suspensions but they cracked down recently.

On 5/7/2018 at 1:11 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Definitely could use a jump in his skating to be far more effective to get into the harder areas of the ice.  I do think though the term "physicality" is loosely coined as "punishing the opposition" or "getting into fights/drama" but I honestly think physicality IMHO can be spun differently too.  I think Gadjovich uses his physicality differently compared to some other players.

I would say Patric Hornqvist and Milan Lucic are both very physical players, but both are physical in different senses.

Lucic is the prototypical powerforward we all have come accustomed to by being belligerent, using his physical stature to intimidate, and over power others.  He uses his physicality to bruise the opposition, running them through the boards, fighting and what not.  Fellow prospects like Max Jones or Givani Smith have those physical tools, and run around uninhibited because they have the physical tools, but don't necessarily know how to use it effectively.

Patric Hornqvist on the other hand uses his physicality differently, where he goes to the front of the much like Tomas Holmstrom did.  Isn't a punishing player, but uses his physcality to gain body position in front of the net, hounds the puck and uses his size and leverage to extract the puck from the opposition and creates plays from it.   IMO, this is the more cerebral way to be physical.  I think about players like Johan Franzen, Tomas Holmstrom, James Van Riemsdyk, 

I think Gadjovich is more inclined to be "physical" in a cerebral aspect of the game, rather than use it as an intimidating aspect.   I honestly believe this style of game is likely to trend more with powerforwards going forward, as they not only have the physical tools to handle the the rigors of the game to have longevity in the NHL, but also have the actual skills to play it.  You can already see how Lucic's style of game has caught up to him physically and is less inclined to continue that style later into his career and try to pick up a cerebral style game, but he struggles because he just isn't.  Gadj does need to improve his skating by a long shot if he hopes to prolong his career, but he already has the mental makeup, and IQ to play in this league. 

Fans who only see physicality as fighting really don't know the game. Puck battles or fighting for body position carried through a game is hugely physical. It can wear down an opposing team just as or more so than hitting.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 07/05/2018 at 1:32 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Please stop.  I've been hurt before

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, tas said:

14 points in 30 ncaa games in his +2 year put killorn in killorn territory. 

Lol, no kidding.

Why do some people try so hard to match our prospects to NHLers? Every player has their own path to the NHL.

Saying he can't reach a Killorn level this early on is kind of harsh. It's not like being a 50 point player is some unthinkable level to reach.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, tas said:

14 points in 30 ncaa games in his +2 year put killorn in killorn territory. 

With the way the NCAA is trending nowadays, 14 points in 30 games in a +2 season could possibly get you a pretty decent NHL player. We need to account for the leagues. 

I see Gadjo taking a Virtanen/Crouse development route, which is not bad at all considering where we took him. 

• 2 weeks later...

I actually think Gadjovich is the real dark horse to make the team this year.

The brass wants to have some protection for the kids playing, and it will take more than one guy.  Gadjovich on the 4th line has skill and some pugnacity, better to have him there than a guy like Gaunce.  Why wouldn't you put him in there for an opportunity rather than a guy like Archibald who isn't going to develop more.

I foresee a lineup of something like:

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser  (Baertschi could easily be traded, I would put the odds more than 50/50 that they try to extract some value from him and make space on the roster)
Dahlen-Petterson-Erikkson  (the preference for the team is to have Petterson start on the wing... but to do that we need another centre.  Erikkson mentors the two young Swedes)
Goldobin/Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen 
Gadjovich-Gaudette-Reaves
Leipsic/Goldobin-Gagner

• Upvote 1