The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

I don't think there should be any issue with burning one year off the ELC.  Then it just means he has 1 less year of bargaining to go into RFA with.  

3 years of strong play will mean he can command more in his next contract than if he has only 2 years of strong play.  

The Benning comments don't fill me with confidence that Rathbone is going to sign this year.  He didn't even say they are in active communication to try to sign him.  He said "if he and his family decide to sign, we will have discussion about that".  Benning should have a pretty good sense from constant communication whether they are close to signing him or not.

Seemed like a letting us down gently and lowering expectations kind of comment.

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

I mean that was from three years ago when he was drafted. I don’t know how much of an ongoing relationship they would have had after that.

Sounds like Ryan Johnson and Chris Higgins had regular contact with him since then.

23 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

@Nuxfanabroad @spook007

Agreed.. the rule is a joke and should have been dealt in this new CBA. 

But honestly I dont blame the kid...

I'M from Vancouver. Family home is approx half hour from Canucks rink..

If I had a little brother with special needs who needed me in his life I wouldn't even think twice. 100% id go ufa and sign with home town team. Live at home with my little brother who is autistic and play for my fav team..

BTW if he has to play for Bruins AHL team the Providence Bruins for a year or two it's only a 45 min drive from his house 

TD Garden NHL  30mins drive

Providence AHL  45 mins drive

Vancouver other end of North America in a different country.

What would you do.. if I'm his adviser and knowing his family situation I tell him sign with Bruins. 

All true WHL.... but still believe the ties towards the team that drafted him are strong. 
I do get the part though about his brother with special needs and the long distances, but I hope the family sees sense and advises him accordingly... Bruins did not show an interest, Canucks did... 

But yes, you’re right. It’s by no means a fore gone conclusion. Lets just hope he doesn’t bend us over... and then please, please, please change that ridiculous rule... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Rathbone to Boston for Vaakanainen? Rathbone with his style of play could be a future Krug replacement, and Boston feels comfortable making this move because they would be pretty darn confident that Rathbone would sign there.

.....for Vancouver... Second pairing pp, second pairing left D behind Hughes for many years.  Krug type... Yes please!channel 9 mafs GIF by Married At First Sight Australia

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Rathbone to Boston for Vaakanainen? Rathbone with his style of play could be a future Krug replacement, and Boston feels comfortable making this move because they would be pretty darn confident that Rathbone would sign there.

If he really wants to stay around Boston they could also just wait till he reaches free agency.  

4 hours ago, mll said:

If he really wants to stay around Boston they could also just wait till he reaches free agency.  

True but FA also allows other teams into the mix, for instance NYR and reunite with his partner Fox

14 hours ago, Provost said:

The Benning comments don't fill me with confidence that Rathbone is going to sign this year.  He didn't even say they are in active communication to try to sign him.  He said "if he and his family decide to sign, we will have discussion about that".  Benning should have a pretty good sense from constant communication whether they are close to signing him or not.

Seemed like a letting us down gently and lowering expectations kind of comment.

The decision has always hinged on where he's playing next year.

There's still no indication there will be an AHL season, he's unlikely to start in the NHL and as far as I know, there's still some question on whether a college season might happen (or not) in December/January.

He's simply trying to figure out where will be best for him to play (or where he can play at all). From there he'll either sign or he won't.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Oh man I sure hope so!

6 hours ago, mll said:

Sure. But nevertheless, I made this proposal because I have an older brother with autism, and along with others like him, this COVID thing is so beyond them and many (especially the young-ins) think that them not being allowed to do anything is a punishment. I think at the end of the day Rathbone signs here, but if he wanted to stay in or close to Massachusetts, I get it. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

23 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I think we will sign Rathbone today at 4pm EST and then focus on Tryamkin. It will be a couple days of omg we are going to lose him and then he will sign 

We can hope... the fact it didn’t happen right when the window opened is reasonable cause for some level of hand wringing.  Rathbone has all the info about his options in the table, and has since Harvard cancelled fall athletics last week.

KHL camps open tomorrow too, so it is getting to the wire for a Tryamkin signing, and more likely that his camp is also playing an NHL possibility to leverage a better deal in Russia... the same as they are using the KHL option to push for a better deal from the Canucks.

Edited by Provost