The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey News says we just picked three first rounders.

IBatch

Before the anti-Benning sentiment gets too much traction, including by yours truly with my initial knee jerk reaction to passing on some good old Canadian boys for Pettersson, I think it's important to consider we just came out with three guys that have the pedigree and expert support to be considered guys that easily could have gone on in the first round.

Lind was considered no. 24 by international scouting services and ranked 27th by THN.   30 goals, 57 assists, 87 points in 70gp for Kelowna WHL.  Scouts say : " He's one of those guys you look at the scoresheet and he had a little more of an impact on the game than you thought he did.  When you think of a player who can move quickly and make plays at a high pace and tempo, that's him.  He's not a heavy guy, but he does have skill."

Not too shabby at all.

Gadjovich was ranked 31 by THN, which would put him as the last pick of the first round.  He has NHL size already 6 2 202 and knows how to score with 46 goals and 28 assists for 74 points in 60 games for Owen Sound of the OHL.  Some point out his meteoric rise has a lot to do with Suzuki as a line mate, others say they mutually benefited given Jonah's willingness to go into the dirty areas.

Scouts say " he gets to play with Suzuki because he does things other guys won't do. He's big enough and strong enough to do it." 

"He plays a really hard, heavy game.  He's not the greatest skater, but he knows his way around the net and shown the ability to play with top talent."

Some could say we just drafted an entire, complete scoring line, with an Uber skilled center, a complete RW in Lind and gritty guy who can play with top skill and make them better in Gadjovich.  

Benning according to some lists, just managed to select three first rounders with only one first round selection, and filled each forward position with same age guys to boot.  

Training camp is going to be exciting, I wouldnt at all be surprised with the additions of Dahlen and Goldobin plus these guys if our prospect pool just went up three or four spots from last year, which would put us in at around eight.  That's impressive considering only a few years ago we sat at 30.

Benning deserves two more years minimum based on this feat alone,  i can't think of any other GM that has managed to turn their prospect pool around that much in the same length of time.

If you were to mark his draft i would give him an A.  Thoughts?

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Before the anti-Benning sentiment gets too much traction, including by yours truly with my initial knee jerk reaction to passing on some good old Canadian boys for Pettersson, I think it's important to consider we just came out with three guys that have the pedigree and expert support to be considered guys that easily could have gone on in the first round.

Lind was considered no. 24 by international scouting services and ranked 27th by THN.   30 goals, 57 assists, 87 points in 70gp for Kelowna WHL.  Scouts say : " He's one of those guys you look at the scoresheet and he had a little more of an impact on the game than you thought he did.  When you think of a player who can move quickly and make plays at a high pace and tempo, that's him.  He's not a heavy guy, but he does have skill."

Not too shabby at all.

Gadjovich was ranked 31 by THN, which would put him as the last pick of the first round.  He has NHL size already 6 2 202 and knows how to score with 46 goals and 28 assists for 74 points in 60 games for Owen Sound of the OHL.  Some point out his meteoric rise has a lot to do with Suzuki as a line mate, others say they mutually benefited given Jonah's willingness to go into the dirty areas.

Scouts say " he gets to play with Suzuki because he does things other guys won't do. He's big enough and strong enough to do it." 

"He plays a really hard, heavy game.  He's not the greatest skater, but he knows his way around the net and shown the ability to play with top talent."

Some could say we just drafted an entire, complete scoring line, with an Uber skilled center, a complete RW in Lind and gritty guy who can play with top skill and make them better in Gadjovich.  

Benning according to some lists, just managed to select three first rounders with only one first round selection, and filled each forward position with same age guys to boot.  

Training camp is going to be exciting, I wouldnt at all be surprised with the additions of Dahlen and Goldobin plus these guys if our prospect pool just went up three or four spots from last year, which would put us in at around eight.  That's impressive considering only a few years ago we sat at 30.

Benning deserves two more years minimum based on this feat alone,  i can't think of any other GM that has managed to turn their prospect pool around that much in the same length of time.

If you were to mark his draft i would give him an A.  Thoughts?

gadojovich is described kind of like Lucic.  interesting.  very interesting.

Benning did well this draft especially in the first few rounds.  Took some interesting and what seems good risks on some overagers.

He needs a few more of these kinds of drafts to fully restock the cupboard.  Still missing a quality offensive defensemen, and still needing more depth in every position.

It's awful tiring listening and reading all the armchair GMs say what an absolute garbage job Benning is doing.

There wasn't much for moveable assets when he came and even less prospects.

Every player you'd want to trade to start a rebuild had a NTC which has to make negotiating a winning deal very hard.

I don't believe in the scorched earth rebuild, you shouldn't dump every veteran and let the kids get annihilated for the sake of draft picks, especially with our lottery luck.

Look at Edmonton before Mcdavid, is that what you want to have for the next 10 years?

Speaking of lottery luck, if we hadn't dropped from 3rd to 5th, and 2nd to 6th,

Our prospect pool would look quite different and there would likely be less hate. 

My opinion is Benning is accumulating prospects while trying to maintain a leadership presence to show them what it takes to be a pro, as well as protect them from difficult minutes and physical punishment. 

Overall probably not an A rating, but I'd give him a B and doubt many people could do much better with all that considered.

Disagree? What moves would you have made to have us in better shape?  ( remember the other team has to accept your trade )

On topic , good picks. I wanted Glass but am not upset with Petersson either.

I assume he knows better than me.

Really solid draft for Vancouver.  

Nice blend of player types with skill as the priority attribute.  

Im super happy with the First 4 picks, and optimistic that there'll be a gem between palmu and rathbone.  

Nice to add a physically punishing shut down D with Gunnarson in the late rounds as well.

All the interviews suggest that these kids are all ready quite bright with a good sense of humility.  Such key attributes when it comes to personal development.  It's really hard to work on your shortcomings if you can't admit them to yourself.  Bit of a 180 from virtanen and

mccann.

We get a playmaking high skill C, a 2 way winger, a gritty net front presence, an athletic goalie, and a mobile offensive dman....

Can't really ask for much more out of this draft honestly.  

Slow clap for benning and co.

46 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

Is there a link?

The references used come entirely from THN Draft Preview 2017, detailed bios on the top 60 prospective picks.  They had Pettersson at 9 BTW.  Vol 70 No. 15. 

They also had DiPietro at 61, which would put him as a late second rounder....and one of the only goalies in the top sixty as well. ...

" He's the best draft goalie in the OHL hands down." Scout.

1 hour ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

It's awful tiring listening and reading all the armchair GMs say what an absolute garbage job Benning is doing.

There wasn't much for moveable assets when he came and even less prospects.

Every player you'd want to trade to start a rebuild had a NTC which has to make negotiating a winning deal very hard.

I don't believe in the scorched earth rebuild, you shouldn't dump every veteran and let the kids get annihilated for the sake of draft picks, especially with our lottery luck.

It's just as tiring arguing against this strawman. 

Almost all rebuild advocates here agree that scorched earth isn't ideal but veteran support can also be found cheaper dipping in free agency rather than paying premiums and futures for them and signing them to long term boat anchor contracts. 

Back to topic.

Benning has bought himself some time and goodwill with this draft. The province reported this morning that other teams scouts thought this was our best draft since 2004, which makes it frustrating that we didn't go with our competitive advantage in drafting and stockpiled these picks years earlier.

Linden should have done more to insulate management from the ownership group and manage the club direction . But as for Benning, been very happy with him since the TDL!

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

Cool find. Thanks for posting. I'm optimistic about our picks this draft, but we'll see what we're all saying about 2017 3-4 years from now.

true, but its nice to have real reasons for optimism now :lol: its starting to get fun again watching the prospect pool build up, its been a very long time since we had even this much depth in the system. 

@Kosmo Kramer, I'll give Benning a "B" also. This draft...if the players fully develop to their potential, is definitely his best draft. Again, at FULL POTENTIAL, we picked:

1) a top line playmaking center

2) a top six playmaking two way winger

3) a top six goal scorer, with some definite grit in his game

4) a good to very good goalie

5) remainder are really good AHL players with call-up possibilities, with Parmu having the skill to play middle six in the NHL, just have to be wary of the size mismatches.

Not bad at all!

I've always been a supporter of both JB/TL and believe they've had a long-term plan in place from day one. 

I don't need THN,  who've been crapping on us in their rag for a long,  long time to tell me JB/TL have us on the right path. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

true, but its nice to have real reasons for optimism now :lol: its starting to get fun again watching the prospect pool build up, its been a very long time since we had even this much depth in the system. 

Yes indeedy. Even more exciting is when they begin trickling into the lineup. We almost enjoyed Rodin's (rookie) season last year, we should be enjoying Boeser's rookie season this year, and maybe Juolevi and one other next year.

Good stuff. I don't really care where we finish as long as we play hoxkey that's a bit more entertaining, and we keep drafting, and hopefully developing, well. 

Good draft overall. My one concern is that our defense, with the losses of Tryamkin and Sbisa, is looking pretty soft (and likely moreso in the future), and not spectacular. We could really use some highly talented, ideally big and mobile defensemen to counteract McDavid and the other stars in the league, if we want a chance at a cup within the next half-decade to decade range. A lotto win next year would be absolutely huge for this club.

Archived