The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will be the first coach to be fired this season?

First head coach fired this season  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

San Jose Sharks head coach Peter DeBoer is the odds-on favourite to be the first head coach fired this season.

According to odds released by Bodog on Thursday, DeBoer is a 7/2 favourite to be the next head coach fired in the NHL. 

DeBoer is just a season removed from reaching the Stanley Cup Final with the Sharks. Last year, however, he saw his team fall in the first round of the playoffs to the Edmonton Oilers in April. 

Winnipeg Jets head coach Paul Maurice and Doug Weight of the New York Islanders are both listed at 4/1 odds.

Maurice missed in the playoffs in each the past two seasons, but received a multi-year contract extension from the club last month.

Weight replaced Jack Capuano behind the Islanders bench in January and posted a 24-12-4 record to close the year. He is 1-2-1 with the team this season.

Detroit Red Wings head coach Jeff Blashill (7/1) and Colorado Avalanche bench boss Jared Bednar (17/2) round out the top five.

Calgary Flames head coach Glen Gulutzan is listed with the sixth-highest odds at 12/1 - tied with Dave Hakstol of Philadelphia Flyers.

The full odds, as released by Bodog, are below.

Peter DeBoer (SJ)     7/2

Paul Maurice (WIN)     4/1

Doug Weight (NYI)     4/1 

Jeff Blashill (DET)     7/1 

Jared Bednar (COL)     17/2

Glen Gulutzan (CAL)     12/1 

Dave Hakstol (PHI)     12/1 

Jon Cooper (TB)     14/1

John Hynes (NJ)     14/1 

Barry Trotz (WAS)     14/1  

http://www.tsn.ca/sharks-deboer-favoured-to-be-first-coach-fired-1.882758

I hope Leafs lose 50 in a row and it's Babcock. I don't like him. POS benched Luongo in Sochi. If Backstrom wasn't forced to sit out or Sweden had Henrik healthy, Price would have been lit up for 20 goals. 

As for the choices... those are pretty terrible gambling odds. I wouldn't make any bets based on those. 

I don't think any of the top 4 will be fired this year.

Too much talent on the Jets roster and they haven't looked all that good through the early stages of the season. Goaltending needs work, but even if they get average goaltending they should be able to win games.

If the Jets continue down this road I think we'll see Maurice get axed sooner than later.

I don't think Maurice is in the mix. Strangely. They just signed him to a new contract so I guess they either see what they believe to be improvement, or they accept mediocrity.

And contrary to the article, I'm not even sure I think DeBoer is in that hot of a seat.  Considering they are a lesser team than in years past and the fact they made it to the finals in 15/16 and had a respectable record last year, I think it is far too early to say he is on his way out just because they've lost their first two games.  (I realize they lost in the first round, but let's face it... Edmonton has enough firepower to beat almost any team on any given night if they are operating on all cylinders)

This seems like an entirely made-up story to me; I actually see fewer than average coaches on the verge of being let go this season.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

I hope Leafs lose 50 in a row and it's Babcock. I don't like him. POS benched Luongo in Sochi. If Backstrom wasn't forced to sit out or Sweden had Henrik healthy, Price would have been lit up for 20 goals. 

As for the choices... those are pretty terrible gambling odds. I wouldn't make any bets based on those. 

I don't think any of the top 4 will be fired this year.

Rank Goaltender Minutes GA GAA SV% Saves SO
1 22px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Carey Price (CAN) 302:32 3 0.59 .972 103 2

I know I shouldn't be responding but those are video game type numbers. I doubt Luongo cared, he still walked out with a gold medal and no one will remember whether he started or was a backup.

22 minutes ago, Toews said:
Rank Goaltender Minutes GA GAA SV% Saves SO
1 22px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png Carey Price (CAN) 302:32 3 0.59 .972 103 2

I know I shouldn't be responding but those are video game type numbers. I doubt Luongo cared, he still walked out with a gold medal and no one will remember whether he started or was a backup.

Luongo would have won the gold too on that team. It was his team, his net. He earned his stripes after over a decade of service to team Canada and won the net in 2010. Even Brodeur said it should have been his net to lose. They just handed it to Price. 

That 2014 team was so stacked it would have won with Mike Smith.

The 2010 team wasn't though. It was %100 Luongo who got them the gold... and yet somehow some other punk got crowned as Canada's golden boy in 2010. 

I'm clearly a homer but I stand by what Brodeur said - I couldn't find the more recent one he said in 2014 but this is from late 2013. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/martin-brodeur-tabs-roberto-luongo-as-team-canadas-no-1-goalie/ 

another one 

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/canadas-no-1-goalie-despite-2010-gold-luongos-reputation-is-one-of-question-marks/article16760520/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

4 minutes ago, apollo said:

Luongo would have won the gold too on that team. It was his team, his net. He earned his stripes after over a decade of service to team Canada and won the net in 2010. Even Brodeur said it should have been his net to lose. They just handed it to Price. 

That 2014 team was so stacked it would have won with Mike Smith.

The 2010 team wasn't though. It was %100 Luongo who got them the gold... and yet somehow some other punk got crowned as Canada's golden boy in 2010. 

I'm clearly a homer but I stand by what Brodeur said - I couldn't find the more recent one he said in 2014 but this is from late 2013. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/martin-brodeur-tabs-roberto-luongo-as-team-canadas-no-1-goalie/ 

another one 

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/canadas-no-1-goalie-despite-2010-gold-luongos-reputation-is-one-of-question-marks/article16760520/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Price > Luo.

IMO Price was ready to take the reigns. Not that it matters anymore anyway.

Coach 

Maurice,

same problems continue to plague that team goaltending and discipline. Whatever he tries It doesn't seem to be effective. 

Gm 

Sakic

the teams won a few but he's made a mess and wonder if the owners have faith in him to trade star talent.

Paul Maurice is the guy that should be first to go, but given he just signed a new contract, I doubt it will happen this year. I voted for him forgetting about his contract.

Jeff Hakstol is probably the guy most at risk. Team underachieved last year, lucked themselves into the first overall pick, and should be a top 4-5 team in the east.

4 hours ago, apollo said:

To be honest, I was more ticked off at Crawford for not using Gretzky in the shootout @ Nagano.

Archived