The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Bettman and Nenshi give Flames owners good reason to sell the team

Mackcanuck

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/francis-150-million-more-reasons-for-flames-owners-to-sell/wcm/bee3f8a6-a64b-40c2-8173-cff4316c9138

"Forget about the nuances of what each side last offered to chip in for the project before the Flames walked away from what they saw as a futile endeavor.

The bottom line is, who wants it more?

The answer is Houston, which is where my money says the Flames will be within the next three years.

As sad as that is for Canadian hockey fans to hear."

Both sides have egos at play here, 3 if you want to include the City of Calgary with ownership and the league. That's bull Gary. Sit on it Edwards. Get it together Nenshi, you lose the Flames and the city will never forgive you.I don't know exactly what it is about Calgary that I find endearing as I certainly didn't care this much about the Oilers leaving Edmonton. I think it's because I never believed it would actually happen [to Edmonton], but I think there's a small chance the Flames leave Calgary and if they do I'm done as a fan of the NHL. Cold turkey.

All sides are just negotiating through the media, as per the usual in situations like this when the pressure mounts.

18 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/francis-150-million-more-reasons-for-flames-owners-to-sell/wcm/bee3f8a6-a64b-40c2-8173-cff4316c9138

"Forget about the nuances of what each side last offered to chip in for the project before the Flames walked away from what they saw as a futile endeavor.

The bottom line is, who wants it more?

The answer is Houston, which is where my money says the Flames will be within the next three years.

As sad as that is for Canadian hockey fans to hear."

No way this happens. It's just a negotiating tactic.

7 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

The Saddledome isn't that bad of an arena ffs.

It's passable for hockey but poor when it comes to hosting concerts and other events, partly because of the small lower bowl and partly because the acoustics are terrible since someone thought "Hey, let's build an arena shaped like a saddle because we're Calgary!".

What ownership really should do is build it with their own damn money. We all know that will never happen, so here we are. FWIW, I still don't think the team will move, but the ending won't look good on the Flames, the city, or the league.

Considering that the F'lames owners bought them originally for $16 million, a US$650,000,000 minimum payout is a nice profit. Not a lot of folks would turn that down, and if their other businesses are hurting... 

Nenshi is in a tough spot, he obviously doesn't want to be the mayor when the F'lames depart, but he also can't just spend whatever the owners and Bettman tell him to, he's accountable to all Calgary taxpayers. Nenshi does have one out though, he could take it to a referendum and let the people decide, thats what I'd do. 

This is an utterly ridiculous, and biased article. There is no way the flames will move from a profitable market like Calgary. It would make more sense to move teams like the hurricanes and coyotes before the 15th most profitable team in the NHL.

It's simply a negotiating tactic, meant to rile up Calgarians and put pressure on Nenshi to give into the entitled demands of the flames owners.

Haven't heard the total in awhile, but last I had heard the Canadian teams were bringing in roughly 1/3 of league revenue. For the league to not fight to keep the Flames in Calgary, yet do everything in their power to keep the Coyotes in Arizona would be atrocious. I realize this is all posturing, but it still gets me irritated to hear of a "potential" move while all these teams down south are constantly have relocation talk shot down by Bettman.

Grew up a Flames fan, and converted to the Canucks. Still have a soft spot for the Flames. Love the battles these two teams have. Would be a sad day to lose another Canadian team.

It would be nuts if the Flames lost their team. They have a lot of history and clearly a hockey-crazy city. I'd be very irritated if Houston got a team instead of Calgary. It'd be the North Stars all over again.

Archived