Mackcanuck

[Article] Bettman and Nenshi give Flames owners good reason to sell the team

Rate this topic

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/francis-150-million-more-reasons-for-flames-owners-to-sell/wcm/bee3f8a6-a64b-40c2-8173-cff4316c9138

"Forget about the nuances of what each side last offered to chip in for the project before the Flames walked away from what they saw as a futile endeavor.

The bottom line is, who wants it more?

The answer is Houston, which is where my money says the Flames will be within the next three years.

As sad as that is for Canadian hockey fans to hear."

Oh man...no more battle of Alberta would be a huge rivalry loss. I guess Houston could have one with Dallas :P

2 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Oh man...no more battle of Alberta would be a huge rivalry loss. I guess Houston could have one with Dallas :P

The battle of who shows up to games?

• Upvote 1

I would laugh and laugh and laugh at that $&!#hole Calgary if they lost their team.....but then who would I hate?  Hopefully they get this $&!# figured out. 

• Upvote 1

Both sides have egos at play here, 3 if you want to include the City of Calgary with ownership and the league. That's bull Gary. Sit on it Edwards. Get it together Nenshi, you lose the Flames and the city will never forgive you.I don't know exactly what it is about Calgary that I find endearing as I certainly didn't care this much about the Oilers leaving Edmonton. I think it's because I never believed it would actually happen [to Edmonton], but I think there's a small chance the Flames leave Calgary and if they do I'm done as a fan of the NHL. Cold turkey.

All sides are just negotiating through the media, as per the usual in situations like this when the pressure mounts.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't mind if they left Calgary for Houston, Portland even. Not as big as this whole we need as many teams in Canada as possible narrative. 

18 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/francis-150-million-more-reasons-for-flames-owners-to-sell/wcm/bee3f8a6-a64b-40c2-8173-cff4316c9138

"Forget about the nuances of what each side last offered to chip in for the project before the Flames walked away from what they saw as a futile endeavor.

The bottom line is, who wants it more?

The answer is Houston, which is where my money says the Flames will be within the next three years.

As sad as that is for Canadian hockey fans to hear."

No way this happens. It's just a negotiating tactic.

• Upvote 3

Considering that the F'lames owners bought them originally for $16 million, a US$650,000,000 minimum payout is a nice profit. Not a lot of folks would turn that down, and if their other businesses are hurting... 

Nenshi is in a tough spot, he obviously doesn't want to be the mayor when the F'lames depart, but he also can't just spend whatever the owners and Bettman tell him to, he's accountable to all Calgary taxpayers. Nenshi does have one out though, he could take it to a referendum and let the people decide, thats what I'd do. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 2

I hope this isn't  true cant loose any more Canadian teams the flames mean to much to this league but bottom line here is its all about the cash so sad

Haven't heard the total in awhile, but last I had heard the Canadian teams were bringing in roughly 1/3 of league revenue. For the league to not fight to keep the Flames in Calgary, yet do everything in their power to keep the Coyotes in Arizona would be atrocious. I realize this is all posturing, but it still gets me irritated to hear of a "potential" move while all these teams down south are constantly have relocation talk shot down by Bettman.

Grew up a Flames fan, and converted to the Canucks. Still have a soft spot for the Flames. Love the battles these two teams have. Would be a sad day to lose another Canadian team.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

It would be nuts if the Flames lost their team. They have a lot of history and clearly a hockey-crazy city. I'd be very irritated if Houston got a team instead of Calgary. It'd be the North Stars all over again.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

No way this happens. It's just a negotiating tactic.

That's what they said in Quebec I am sure.