The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sabres trade Evander Kane to Sharks for Dan O'Reagan, 2019 conditional 1st-round pick, 2020 4th-round pick

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I am not sold that the Sharks are a very long term option to win, Big Joe is just old, Burns is what 33.  I see them really a lot like we were coming off our finals visit, they have had their shot and missed and are on downward trend. 

Sharks are my front runner for landing tavares. One JT out another JT in. 

Sharks have plenty of cap to do it and they could still have some left over to land kane if they move some pieces around. Now that would be scary. 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

I am not sold that the Sharks are a very long term option to win, Big Joe is just old, Burns is what 33.  I see them really a lot like we were coming off our finals visit, they have had their shot and missed and are on downward trend.  From a lifestyle factor, not sure what Vancouver is offering over the Bay area.  Certainly the fact that Canada is a much nicer place to live than the US is somewhat mitigated by the fact that he is rich.  Money, Vancouver could probably offer the most but really shouldn't, it will just cripple the cap that will be spending a lot at the least important position for winning, the wing.

I think he is something we could use.  It would help us be more competitive and give a big nasty winger to ride shotgun with EP.  I don't think he would be the kind of mistake that Lucic and Loui were though if things go the wrong way signing him could blow up big time.

He is big, young, fast and nasty at times and scores.  He is everything you want in a player on the ice, everything you hoped to see from Jake and from Guddy and haven't got yet.  

You have some good points. Many people have said that wingers don't influence the game quite as much as a centre, but Ovechkin and to a lesser extent Boeser has proven that they can. Eriksson is not a plug. Prior to signing Vancouver, he has had three 30 goal seasons. Is he worth the 6 mill? Probably not; however, we haven't had the type of talent that could play with his style (Sedins worked well with Eriksson on the international stage, but that never translated to the same extent in the NHL).  Eriksson's a hard worker though.

Kane could still help Vancouver, but I think Tavares would be a better fit for the team. That being said, he probably won't sign with us. There are more attractive teams out there that want his services.

I would agree with that Dazzle and absolutely I will take JT over him as would anyone.  Well Eriksson is not a plug, he has struggled in the past with transitions to new teams and systems and is just getting older.  While he was brought in as the final third Sedin it just never meshed.  The issue is still though that he represent $6M in cap spent on the wing and Boesser will soon be 8+.  To add another lets be conservative and say $7M winger in Kane would be tough.  Ovechkin is a generational winger and has done some mazing things but win in the playoffs is not one of them.  Who was the last Stanley cup winner that was carried by a winger, maybe Patrick Kane though can't separate him from  the significance contributions Toews and Keith.

Just don't see us being contender for JT though he just happens to fit a gaping hole in the organization.  And hey as per Forsberg, if the Sharks land JT then sure I would look at them differently.

On 5/10/2018 at 9:23 AM, DrJockitch said:

I would agree with that Dazzle and absolutely I will take JT over him as would anyone.  Well Eriksson is not a plug, he has struggled in the past with transitions to new teams and systems and is just getting older.  While he was brought in as the final third Sedin it just never meshed.  The issue is still though that he represent $6M in cap spent on the wing and Boesser will soon be 8+.  To add another lets be conservative and say $7M winger in Kane would be tough.  Ovechkin is a generational winger and has done some mazing things but win in the playoffs is not one of them.  Who was the last Stanley cup winner that was carried by a winger, maybe Patrick Kane though can't separate him from  the significance contributions Toews and Keith.

Just don't see us being contender for JT though he just happens to fit a gaping hole in the organization.  And hey as per Forsberg, if the Sharks land JT then sure I would look at them differently.

OV's team is 7 wins from hoisting the Stanley Cup.

On 2018-05-10 at 6:34 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sharks are my front runner for landing tavares. One JT out another JT in. 

Sharks have plenty of cap to do it and they could still have some left over to land kane if they move some pieces around. Now that would be scary. 

No it wouldn't. They will overpay Kane and he will disappear again.

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  Any team, hopefully it’s the Sharks, that signs Evander is making a mistake.  

I don't know that you can call a likely 20+ goal scorer a "mistake" but it sounds like SJS liked what they saw:

“He’s difference-maker,” Sharks GM Doug Wilson said. “He had a clean slate. He wants to be a great player, we did our research, he came in here and he’s judged by his actions and his experiences here. He played through a couple of injuries. I think he fit in very well with this group, not only as a player but as a person.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/evander-kane-ufa-priorities-money-chance-win-lifestyle/

I envision Kane playing on a line with Pettersson and Eriksson.  Kane will provide the protection and physicality for Pettersson and hopefully Eriksson can get some new life in his legs playing with his young Swedish countryman.  That could be a great second line in behind the Baertschi, Horvat and Boeser line.  

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:42 AM, Frankie Sinatra said:

I envision Kane playing on a line with Pettersson and Eriksson.  Kane will provide the protection and physicality for Pettersson and hopefully Eriksson can get some new life in his legs playing with his young Swedish countryman.  That could be a great second line in behind the Baertschi, Horvat and Boeser line.  

@aGENT

TSN already has Kane in their projected line up for us this fall...  https://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-vancouver-canucks-1.1084921

Bottom of the page...

Archived