The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Oilers shopping 10th OA. Eyeing Ryan Ellis.

HKSR

https://www.tsn.ca/oilers-open-to-moving-no-10-overall-pick-1.1119343

The Edmonton Oilers are open for business when it comes to the 10th overall pick in Friday's NHL Draft.

Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli confirmed Thursday that he's willing to move the pick if he can get his desired return.

"We would look to move the pick if the right player is available... I've had some discussions with some teams," Chiarelli told reporters in Dallas.

TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie said Wednesday he believes the Oilers are looking for an offensive defenceman to add to their roster, preferably with a right-hand shot.

“No question about it," McKenzie said when asked if the Oilers are willing to trade their pick. "The problem they are running into is that as much as they’d be prepared for the right player to give up the 10th overall pick in the draft, they don’t see that player out there right now. Yeah, they’d like a right-shot offensive defenceman. Everyone wants one of those. And Edmonton desperately needs one, but if they had a really good left-shot offensive defenceman who became available, they’d certainly look at that too for that 10th pick or some other assets. That’s their number one priority, their number one goal is to try and get that.

"The guy they really want, I think, is not available. His name is Ryan Ellis of the Nashville Predators. A year left on his contract. David Poile’s number one priority is to extend him this summer. If he doesn’t get extended then he could perhaps become available, but not in time for this weekend.”

Chiarelli said if he keeps the pick, he will simply pick the best player available rather than try to fill an area of need for the franchise.

"There are some good defencemen in the top part of the draft, but we're going to take the best player available," Chiarelli said.

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button projected the Oilers to select London Knights defenceman Evan Bouchard with the 10th overall pick in this week's TSN Hockey Mock Draft.

Hey Chia, I got a good one for ya.  Seeing as you traded MVP Hall for Larrson, how bout we talk Stecher for your 10OA? 

Look at it this way, Ellis shoots right, so does Stecher!  Ellis is an offensive dman, so is Stecher (I think?)!  Ellis is 5'10", so is Stecher!  Now get this... Stecher is younger by 3 years! 

So?  Do we have a deal?

Right on!  I knew I could count on you!

Canucks acquire 10 OA from the Oilers for Stecher.

27 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hey Chia, I got a good one for ya.  Seeing as you traded MVP Hall for Larrson, how bout we talk Stecher for your 10OA? 

Look at it this way, Ellis shoots right, so does Stecher!  Ellis is an offensive dman, so is Stecher (I think?)!  Ellis is 5'10", so is Stecher!  Now get this... Stecher is younger by 3 years! 

So?  Do we have a deal?

Not happening...chia wants del zotto instead. He sees him as a rugged puck moving dman.

Just now, rekker said:

Interesting. That's the basis of a trade that makes sense for both teams. Certainly can't be Chia behind this common sense?!?! Must of been Poile's idea.

at first I thought the same but then I had to think. What’s in if for Nashville. What do they benefit. Really it makes no sense for them. 

13 minutes ago, rekker said:

Interesting. That's the basis of a trade that makes sense for both teams. Certainly can't be Chia behind this common sense?!?! Must of been Poile's idea.

Not Poile - he has no interest in breaking up his top-4Ds.  McKenzie: "The guy they really want, I think, is not available. His name is Ryan Ellis of the Nashville Predators. A year left on his contract. David Poile’s number one priority is to extend him this summer."

Ellis also wants to get the contract done this summer - says he loves it there and so does his fiancée.  

26 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Bob McKenzie said Wednesday he believes the Oilers are looking for an offensive defenceman to add to their roster, preferably with a right-hand shot.

that should finally put an end to the tanev proposals..... haha who am I kidding. 

the Oilers are still stuck in the 1980s.

7 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

Ellis won’t be available. 

Winnipeg is loaded with RHD. Too bad they wouldn’t be able to get Trouba. 

Trouba isn't signed yet. He'd fit in well with the physicality the Oilers push with Lucic and Kassian.

The Coil have a pair of 35-40 pt LHD - with no real viable RH partners....

And they're shopping for....an offensive D.

Nurse and Larsson.

Klefbom and.....?

Sekera and.......?

Chris Russell.  Matt Benning.

People can poopoo the Tanev proposals all they want, but Tanev would actually be one helluva partner for Klefbom.

Klefbom, when playing with Larsson, broke out and scored 38 pts two seasons ago.  Last year....Larsson was paired with Nurse, and Klefbom's production and effectiveness fell off.   Surprise.

Anyhow Deadmonton - keep on keeping on....do as you do.

Keep cycling through high end talent....as your true failures lie at the team building and coaching levels.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

So?  Do we have a deal?

that's kinda mean

at least throw in a 7th rounder too :P

Archived