The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Artyom Manukyan | RW

thejazz97

The guy obviously has a ton of skill, ripping apart that league he was in.

139lbs is something to be concerned about, though. 160lbs, 175, or whatever Pettersson and Gaudreau are, sure. They're fine at that weight. It's very doable in the NHL with a ton of skill. Patrick Kane is light, too.

139 is a low number though. I'm 5'7" and I'm like 180lbs. Although I'm probably 10lbs overweight for my build. 139lbs just sounds super low.

I don't know. I'm not holding any judgement until I see this kid in action. He's a super skilled Russian and it's been awhile since the Canucks have had one at the forward position. Who was the last promising one, like Shirokov?

Funny thing is he doesn't look that small on the ice in the videos shown.  Feisty too, throwing checks on a lot bigger players.

Man that guy has some mad skills though.

I like that JB has a unifying theme in his prospects, speed and skill.

I don't think it is worth complaining about the size of guys that are 5'10, 5'11 especially when they are skilled players. 

Bo is not very tall either.  Petrus is tiny but built like a tank.  You can have toughness and be smaller, Madden has a reputation for it.

I think weight is probably the most over-rated aspect here.  Yes having a big guy like Buff or Ovi can be of great benefit but being able to change speeds and cut quickly is much more important now.  Keith Primeau would have been a fourth line plug the way the game is played now.

Smaller guys can be just as tough.

He fits  the bill for what they are looking for being highly skilled and fast and he's such a long shot just based on his draft position alone so what the hell. It's more interesting than drafting a bunch of hopeful plugs. 

I'm totally cheering for this guy. I love the underdog. One of the toughest guys I ever knew was half my size. Some people are just tough as nails no matter what size they are. 

Edited by thrago
  • Upvote 1

Wonder if we actually drafted the other Artyom Manukyan?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/480746/artyom-manukyan

6’2” Dman, 19 years old, playing in the Belarusian High League (Belarus2).

Naw, I still prefer the undersized puck wizard who’s 140lbs soaking wet and as feisty as an angry Chihuahua. Just laughed when I saw there was another guy with the same name (and a Dman with decent size—although that Belarusian league he plays in looks pretty crap). :lol:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Well maybe JB met his parents and figures there is still a decent growth spurt in there.

I gained 4 inches and about 50 pounds between when I graduated high school and the end of 1st year university.  There are stories about late bloomers who were drafted late and suddenly then got a lot bigger.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well maybe JB met his parents and figures there is still a decent growth spurt in there.

I gained 4 inches and about 50 pounds between when I graduated high school and the end of 1st year university.  There are stories about late bloomers who were drafted late and suddenly then got a lot bigger.

He won't get taller imo. He's 20 already, hes an overager. He will most likely add a few pounds for sure, but at 20 he will most likely be done growing upwards haha. 

2 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

The guy obviously has a ton of skill, ripping apart that league he was in.

139lbs is something to be concerned about, though. 160lbs, 175, or whatever Pettersson and Gaudreau are, sure. They're fine at that weight. It's very doable in the NHL with a ton of skill. Patrick Kane is light, too.

139 is a low number though. I'm 5'7" and I'm like 180lbs. Although I'm probably 10lbs overweight for my build. 139lbs just sounds super low.

I don't know. I'm not holding any judgement until I see this kid in action. He's a super skilled Russian and it's been awhile since the Canucks have had one at the forward position. Who was the last promising one, like Shirokov?

I thought Zhukenov was going to be special... lol. 

5 minutes ago, cyoung said:

He won't get taller imo. He's 20 already, hes an overager. He will most likely add a few pounds for sure, but at 20 he will most likely be done growing upwards haha. 

Oh, didn't realize he was older.  18 still has room to get taller... 20 not so much.

22 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

From interview with the Director of Amateur Scouting Judd Brackett

Love the way these guys are drafting. I've said it before and I will say it again, I don't ever remember the Canucks having anywhere near this kind of depth or quality of prospects. And I have been watching the draft since before they picked Linden 2nd overall. So much talent in the organization now. 

By the way, for all of you who are complaining that we didn't draft "size", just remember all the busts we've had when we went the size route. Size in the later rounds gets you picks like Brett McKenzie, MacKenze Stewart, Sawyer Hannay, Wesley Myron, Tate Olson, Rodrigo Abols, and Kyle Petit -- players with low ceilings and even lower chances at having an NHL impact. I'd rather draft a smaller player with a higher potential, but with higher risk, then go the "safe" route. You can always sign size/grit players as undrafted FAs later on (Zack MacEwen, Jalen Chatfield, etc)... Manukyan will either be the next Ondrej Palat, Nikita Gusev (KHL superstar drafted in the seventh round in 2012), Ondrej Kase or he won't. Rather take the risk then watch another team take the same risk and reap the rewards like we've seen over the years.

Happy with this pick, not happy with the size complaints.

SPEED AND SKILL!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2