The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we give Bo the "C"? POLL

Gator

Who should wear the "C"   

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think league awards need to be the standard, but I think the standard needs to be higher than nothing.

just because the media has referred to him as "the next captain" since the day he was drafted doesn't mean he's really demonstrated any noteworthy leadership to this point.

don't get me wrong, I like bo as much as anyone and I think he'll be the next captain,  but I don't think he's done enough yet to step up and take the "c".

Based on a ridiculous standard tbh. Bo has done and shown enough on the ice to earn it. The main job of captain is speaking to officials by the way.

Some teams have 5+ leaders on the team without letters. The C and A are completely overated by fans. 

Will very surprised if it isn't given to Bo.

Have the qualities, and seems to have been groomed for it over the last couple of years...

Edler and Buddy to wear an A, as well as Sutter.

Boeser to get an A in a year or two.

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think Bo should get it next year because I think he's definitely ready for it. That said, if the team doesn't want to give it to Bo now, the next best option would be to have three "A"s throughout the year.

As for the "A"s, my votes go to Edler and Sutter. In the long run, Boeser should get one as he's definitely a leader type, but for now, he's very young and should get some more experience under his belt.

Edler is the most experienced defenseman on the team and Sutter is a veteran forward who works his tail off and is a very versatile guy. He's also a vocal guy. 

Tanev is a decent option, but he's a bit quiet. He'd be my third choice for the "A".

If we go the three "A"s, I'd like Horvat, Edler, and Sutter to be our three guys.

What about boeser?? Do you think he deserves any consideration?

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

What about boeser?? Does he deserve any consideration in your eyes?

At this point, I don't think he's quite there yet. As I mentioned I think he'll get a letter for sure at some point and if it weren't for Horvat, I think we'd all be pegging Boeser as the next captain of this team. In a few years, I think Boeser should definitely be an alternate, as he'd definitely be a better candidate than either Edler of Sutter once he has some experience under his belt. I honestly think the only thing keeping Boeser from becoming the captain of the Canucks is that Horvat is also on the team. We happen to have two of the best young leaders in the game on one team and unfortunately only one of them can be captain.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

At this point, I don't think he's quite there yet. As I mentioned I think he'll get a letter for sure at some point and if it weren't for Horvat, I think we'd all be pegging Boeser as the next captain of this team. In a few years, I think Boeser should definitely be an alternate, as he'd definitely be a better candidate than either Edler of Sutter once he has some experience under his belt. I honestly think the only thing keeping Boeser from becoming the captain of the Canucks is that Horvat is also on the team. We happen to have two of the best young leaders in the game on one team and unfortunately only one of them can be captain.

At this point I don't even want Boeser with a letter just keep doing what he's doing and focus on improving and scoring. 

The obvious answer is bring back Luongo and have him sporting it again, he's used to carrying blame even when the team sucks, so he was groomed for a time as this.

Jokes aside, Bo in the long haul, no question.

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

At this point I don't even wan Boeser with a letter just keep doing what he's doing and focus on improving and scoring. 

Agreed. A few years down the road, consider giving him an alternate maybe, but for now, just let him get used to the NHL game and focus on that.

If it were up to me I would have 6 alternates for this season. 3 home and 3 away games.

Home Alternates:

Horvat

Edler

Sutter

Away Alternates:

Del Zotto

Eriksson

Gudbranson

No permanent captain until the 2020 season.

I think Bo isn't ready yet. I think we should go a yr with out a captain. Also, I have noticed that the canucks themselves don't have a lot of faith in Bo as part of the leadership group. They didn't give him the A because he just signed a big contract, and didn't want to give him the added pressure of an A, and that's just an A on the jersey that they were worried about him having. 

Is there something the canucks know about his character that we may not know, hence the reason not having an A. Imagined the added pressure of a C, could he handle that this yr, when they feal last yr he might not have been even able to handle an A?

Also the sedins mentioned he (horvat) was quiet in the dressing room when they were discussing Henrik replacement for the C. I don't think they mentioned that by chance, I think they mentioned that because that could be a concern of theirs and maybe others in the organization.

I have always wanted and thought that Horvat was the go to replacement for Sedin for captain. But all the discussion by the sedins and canucks after they retired about potential replacement, and no one in management has been overly excited about Horvat being captain, has left me concerned about maybe Horvat doesn't have the right mental make-up to be captain.

Or I could be reading to much into all of this, lol

Tough to say as none of us are part of that dressing room (I know, it's summertime and we need something to discuss). Bo certainly looks and acts the part but if the coaching staff/management aren't quite convinced who their captain should be or even if they should name a new captain just yet, I'll defer to their judgement.

I replied other to the "C" because I'd rather they not give it out just yet and start the year with three A's and (Horvat, Sutter and either Edler or Tanev or just cut ties from the last core and do Gudbranson).   Horvat is the front runner right now by default, not that he wouldn't probably do a good job but going from no A to the C is quite the leap, and I'd like to see the new core emerge a little first. Just slapping it on the next Swede in line is wrong (and sarcasm), hard pass on Edler.  Sutter? Might be the best in between option on the team but really not a fan of that either.

Its Horvats to lose, but another year we might see other leadership possibilities emerge that warrant considering, maybe for A's.  If I had to pick one to start the year it would be Sutter, but just keeping it warm.

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Just to rotate alternates and all 4 are well respected among officials, main purpose of captains and alternates is speaking to officials. 

yah for sure.. just wondering why you picked Tan & Sut for home and Ed & Lou for away... like being fan favorites or having better away stats or whatever

and on and on this issue goes

bo does not need a C on his jersey to cement his value to the canucks

the canuck team will do just fine whether or not they have a formal captain or not

it will make zero difference to their on ice performance

this issue really is so much less important then so many on these boards realize

Bo should get the C by next year for sure. Linden 2.0

Rotating Guddy, Edler, Bo , Sutter this year sounds like the logical thing to do.

I can see Stecher supporting an A soon as our future leadership group as well. He may not have the size but he does have the heart!

Archived