The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nhl network top 50 prospects includes 4 canucks

cuporbust

27 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'd imagine it was a toss-up between the two.

Svechnikov is a great prospect but it is hard to imagine a toss-up between a player who had the 38th best all time ppg for a player his age in a boys league and a player who had the 2nd best all time ppg for a player his age against men just ahead of Peter Forsberg.  

Of course, these numbers mean nothing but with just those numbers to go on Petersson would be the obvious choice.

42 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Don't sleep on Svechnikov.  I think he's going to be a marquee player in the NHL by the time his ELC is up in 3 years.

Sure, Svetch is great, but at this point I'm definitely not willing to put him ahead of Pettersson, who's coming off literally the greatest under 20 SHL season in history.

Would anyone trade Pettersson for Svetch right now? Svetch did amazing things in a boys league. Playing against 16 and 17 year old defensemen.

Pettersson did amazing things in a top ranked professional league playing against men.

I think you'd have to say Pettersson has the better chance of his game translating fully to the NHL.

This list is a joke.

EP should be 1 or 2 

Dahlen leads his team to promotion and win a mvp of a league doesn’t make it....

Miro Heskinin is so high up but OJ had almost the same numbers and impact and is 33..... 

Guaddette win Hobey baker and is lower then someone who he beat out for the award

Cale &$&@ing Makar better then Hughes shoot me now please

THIS LIST IS BUPCUS

Edit: OHHH and Demko!?!

24 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Would anyone trade Pettersson for Svetch right now? Svetch did amazing things in a boys league. Playing against 16 and 17 year old defensemen.

Pettersson did amazing things in a top ranked professional league playing against men.

I think you'd have to say Pettersson has the better chance of his game translating fully to the NHL.

Plus Pettersson still has the chance of developing as a centre which is far more valuable.

So no, I wouldn't make that trade.

2 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

I'd take Elias Pettersson at 2 & Quinn Hughes at 3 honestly. The only prospect I'd rather have would be Dahlin but other than that I honestly wouldn't take any other prospect they're listing ahead of Pettersson and Hughes (in that order). Heiskanen is severly overrated imo - I'd take Makar, mittlestadt & Tolvanen over him, and I'd rank Hughes over any of them, so to me it's Dahlin, Pettersson then Hughes. I can't say I've seen too many games on any of them but I've seen videos and from what I've seen, that's how I would rank them.

Come at me bro.

Heiskanen won the award for best D in the Finnish league.  His GM believes he's one of the best Ds in all of Europe with his IQ and skating. 

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not sure how they justify that.  Quinn out-performed him as a year younger player, and is already projected as a Hobey Baker candidate.

I think EP40 should be 1, Hughes should be above Makar easily and how is Zadina over Tolvanen?

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

Svechnikov is a great prospect but it is hard to imagine a toss-up between a player who had the 38th best all time ppg for a player his age in a boys league and a player who had the 2nd best all time ppg for a player his age against men just ahead of Peter Forsberg.  

Of course, these numbers mean nothing but with just those numbers to go on Petersson would be the obvious choice.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Sure, Svetch is great, but at this point I'm definitely not willing to put him ahead of Pettersson, who's coming off literally the greatest under 20 SHL season in history.

Time will tell.  They are both going to be stars in the league, but I think a lot of fans are sleeping on Svechnikov, CDC included. 

Of course, personally I'll be rooting for Pettersson since he plays for my #2 team.  On the flip side, I'll be feeling bad for Andrei because he's stuck in a city where he'll be playing to a lot of empty seats.

2 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

This list is a joke.

EP should be 1 or 2 

Dahlen leads his team to promotion and win a mvp of a league doesn’t make it....

Miro Heskinin is so high up but OJ had almost the same numbers and impact and is 33..... 

Guaddette win Hobey baker and is lower then someone who he beat out for the award

Cale &$&@ing Makar better then Hughes shoot me now please

THIS LIST IS BUPCUS

Edit: OHHH and Demko!?!

EP should be 2 IMO, but Dahlin looks like a franchise defenseman who could be one of the league's best some day. It's possible Pettersson ends up the better player, but I'd bet on Dahlin for now.

Dahlen did lead his team, but it was in a lower level league and he's already 20, so expectations are higher for him.

Heiskanen is a year younger than OJ

Gaudette is 21 and one of the older players on the list.

Not sure why Makar is over Hughes... I can agree with you on that one.

Demko should probably be on the list too, but it seems that age was a very big factor to them.

11 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Are people seriously arguing this list?

The NHL is finally giving recognition to some Canucks. 3rd for EP is perfectly fine, as is anywhere in the top 5.

Funnily enough, I was ready to come on here and comment on the hypocrisy of fans complaining when we get shafted and praising the NHL Network when they praise us, but I suppose it's still not enough, haha (admittedly I've complained a bit too).

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Are people seriously arguing this list?

The NHL is finally giving recognition to some Canucks. 3rd for EP is perfectly fine, as is anywhere in the top 5.

Yes, I am arguing the list. I am arguing the list because I believe that as of this moment, Pettersson is a better prospect than Svechnikov.

Do you take issue with that?

4 hours ago, mll said:

Heiskanen won the award for best D in the Finnish league.  His GM believes he's one of the best Ds in all of Europe with his IQ and skating. 

Very well aware of that. I still stand by my statement. If Hughes played in the finnish league last year I'd bet on him taking that's award over Heiskanen.

Well it's a list done by someone who probably has very little real live knowledge of the players. Mostly second or third hand reports.

On an emotional level, I want maybe 10/ 11/ 12 Canuck prospects on this list ! ..........so, the list sucks !

On a logical level, I have no problem with the list as I've 'seen' maybe a dozen names on the list play. I have zero real idea if the list is good or bad.

7 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

7 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Plus Pettersson still has the chance of developing as a centre which is far more valuable.

So no, I wouldn't make that trade.

I imagine the size speed and strength of Svech was considered. Combined with goal scoring acumen. Ovechkin like?

I don't think I agree? But I do agree it would be close. Svechnikov is also a great prospect...

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Top be fair, Heiskanen had 23 points in 30 games and was a +17, whereas Juolevi had 19 points in 38 games and was a +7.

I think Juolevi has what it takes to be a top 4 Dman, but if someone offers me Heiskanen for Juolevi I accept that offer every time.

Juolevi was also on a stronger team which made it harder for him to crack the top 2.  By the end of the playoffs he was playing as a top pairing dman.  

But yes, extremely salty, gaudette was a mvp in college, while dhalen was the mvp in a men’s league as a 20 year old.   Adding to that, another robbery that is glass is way up there Cody freaking glass, but kole Lind, who is everything at his caliber is not even in the top 50.

very salty.  

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Juolevi was also on a stronger team which made it harder for him to crack the top 2.  By the end of the playoffs he was playing as a top pairing dman.  

But yes, extremely salty, gaudette was a mvp in college, while dhalen was the mvp in a men’s league as a 20 year old.   Adding to that, another robbery that is glass is way up there Cody freaking glass, but kole Lind, who is everything at his caliber is not even in the top 50.

very salty.  

Lind plays better when he gets snubbed . I'm actually glad they underrated many of our prospects.  Adds fuel to their fire instead of pressure.  

Archived