Sign in to follow this  
The_Rocket

How long until Markstrom has proven himself?

Rate this topic

On 2/10/2019 at 7:39 AM, kloubek said:

Well it seems I'm one of the few remaining nay sayers about Markstrom.  Even the panel "experts" are taking notice of him so I admit I may not know what I'm talking about.  

Again, not dismissing his recent play - he looks better and is winning games for us.  I just hope it lasts.

Keep in mind, he isn’t some fluky echl burrows type that may take too many “burrows do we really need him” threads to prove himself. He was a 31st overall pick, pretty close to a 1st rounder, in a draft where goalies didn’t have much stock. He was touted pretty highly by the same Swedish circles that touted EP I believe. He was projected to be another Luongo.

He was a blue chipper that never lived up to his potential. But now that he is somewhat there, not quite but somewhat, he can probably just go on instinct now since he was a genuine starter in every other professional league and age group all of his life until he hit the NHL.

Its up to our psychologists to keep him confident and he should be plenty serviceable as a starter until Demko or Diepietri take the reigns. 

Been seeing a lot of people wanting to JB to re-sign marky as soon as this summer after his MVP season. 

Looming back at this thread though, a lot of cautious posters who said 1 year isn’t a big enough sample size. 

Imo, Canucks are best to wait until at least part way through next season and make sure they know what they have before signing marky, even if it means paying more

• Hydration 1

???

reality meets ideology/what you want reality to be.

reality is that he is already a top player.  How can you argue otherwise?   Sooner you sign him the less you pay.... so do it soon for a reasonable amount

&^@#ing guy is 29. If he hasn't proven to be a starter it's because he's not. In which case you might as well move on. 

• Confused 2

On a team with a poor defense (Compounded by injury and playing AHL guys) Markstrom did well in the last half.  How anyone can say he didnt play like a starter during that period is beyond me.

I do, however, feel the sample size is too small to believe this is the goalie he now is and don't think term is a good idea yet.

....but it is promising....

On 4/9/2019 at 8:48 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

&^@#ing guy is 29. If he hasn't proven to be a starter it's because he's not. In which case you might as well move on. 

Ok Torts

On 4/9/2019 at 7:48 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

I’ve been wondering about Marky, Demko, and what’s best (when it comes to the two goalies) for our rebuild to be the best it can be.  If other teams, who are close to winning now think Marky is the guy they need, then what’s his worth in trade to a team like that!  Do we play Demko 50 games this coming season, and sign a UFA back-up to play 30?  What does the return for Marky need to be for us to take that risk that Demko can be an NHL number one?