The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How long until Markstrom has proven himself?

Rate this topic

The_Rocket

On 2/10/2019 at 7:39 AM, kloubek said:

Well it seems I'm one of the few remaining nay sayers about Markstrom.  Even the panel "experts" are taking notice of him so I admit I may not know what I'm talking about.  

Again, not dismissing his recent play - he looks better and is winning games for us.  I just hope it lasts.

Keep in mind, he isn’t some fluky echl burrows type that may take too many “burrows do we really need him” threads to prove himself. He was a 31st overall pick, pretty close to a 1st rounder, in a draft where goalies didn’t have much stock. He was touted pretty highly by the same Swedish circles that touted EP I believe. He was projected to be another Luongo.

He was a blue chipper that never lived up to his potential. But now that he is somewhat there, not quite but somewhat, he can probably just go on instinct now since he was a genuine starter in every other professional league and age group all of his life until he hit the NHL.

Its up to our psychologists to keep him confident and he should be plenty serviceable as a starter until Demko or Diepietri take the reigns. 

• 1 month later...

Been seeing a lot of people wanting to JB to re-sign marky as soon as this summer after his MVP season. 

Looming back at this thread though, a lot of cautious posters who said 1 year isn’t a big enough sample size. 

Imo, Canucks are best to wait until at least part way through next season and make sure they know what they have before signing marky, even if it means paying more

• Cheers 1

On a team with a poor defense (Compounded by injury and playing AHL guys) Markstrom did well in the last half.  How anyone can say he didnt play like a starter during that period is beyond me.

I do, however, feel the sample size is too small to believe this is the goalie he now is and don't think term is a good idea yet.

....but it is promising....

On 4/9/2019 at 7:48 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

&^@#ing guy is 29. If he hasn't proven to be a starter it's because he's not. In which case you might as well move on. 

I’ve been wondering about Marky, Demko, and what’s best (when it comes to the two goalies) for our rebuild to be the best it can be.  If other teams, who are close to winning now think Marky is the guy they need, then what’s his worth in trade to a team like that!  Do we play Demko 50 games this coming season, and sign a UFA back-up to play 30?  What does the return for Marky need to be for us to take that risk that Demko can be an NHL number one?  

• 9 months later...

Revisiting this... it’s was only about 13 months ago that people were on the fence if Jacob markstrom is even a #1 goalie. Maybe the 6 million dollar price tag i see people floating around for his new contract is a bit too high for a guy who has been really good for only a season and a half. 

12 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

Revisiting this... it’s was only about 13 months ago that people were on the fence if Jacob markstrom is even a #1 goalie. Maybe the 6 million dollar price tag i see people floating around for his new contract is a bit too high for a guy who has been really good for only a season and a half. 

meh the team got better defensively from last years so has markstrom its only fair to say the better the team gets defensively and the less markstrom has to stand on his head night in and night out the "better" stat wise he will become... 

Edited by MoldyTaco

This team does not play a sound defensive game under Green and even though we have good defencemen, we do give up a lot of turnovers. Sure, less so in the last little while than before, but we're still getting shelled by shots and Marky is having to work hard. A lot of the "best" goalies in the league right now are playing behind solid defensive, relatively safe coaching tactics whereas Marky is exposed a lot and has to bail his team out.

He's easily a top-10 goalie in the league and his numbers don't do him justice.

I made a comment just a few posts up from April.

To me, there is now enough sample size to suggest Marky is exactly the goalie the supporters felt he was. I am finally convinced.

Obviously the market worth for a UFA player depends on what other teams are willing to pay, and how much of a discount (if any) the player is willing to give their current team.

We all know what Markstrom has done for this team. He has very few poor showings these days, and is our obvious #1 guy. With that said, if you look at his surface numbers, he isn't exactly showing as truly elite from a historical numbers perspective. Even this season, for goalies who have played 25 games or more, he is 9th in save % and I believe 14th in gaa. Don't get me wrong - that is quite good, but hardly stellar.

But once you factor in the quality of shots we give up, I think it could be argued he is better than these already decent numbers initially show. One could also suggest his father and friend dying likely took his numbers down a notch. His appearance at the ASG may also give him the edge when it comes to perceived worth.

In any case, IMO, he is clearly a top 10 goalie... possibly even top 5 this season all things considered.

It will be interesting to see what he will be asking for, and how much Benning is willing to (or even CAN) pay. If you look at a few of the inflated goalie contracts out there like Bobrovsky, I don't think it is unrealistic that a GM might offer him over 7 million a season. That may seem high, but I could see it.

CDC seems to think he is worth far less than that. But I say if we get him on a shorter (3 year?) term for around 6 million, we will have done well. Any less than that would be some serious magic by Benning imo.

Should be interesting.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, kloubek said:

I made a comment just a few posts up from April.

To me, there is now enough sample size to suggest Marky is exactly the goalie the supporters felt he was. I am finally convinced.

Obviously the market worth for a UFA player depends on what other teams are willing to pay, and how much of a discount (if any) the player is willing to give their current team.

We all know what Markstrom has done for this team. He has very few poor showings these days, and is our obvious #1 guy. With that said, if you look at his surface numbers, he isn't exactly showing as truly elite from a historical numbers perspective. Even this season, for goalies who have played 25 games or more, he is 9th in save % and I believe 14th in gaa. Don't get me wrong - that is quite good, but hardly stellar.

But once you factor in the quality of shots we give up, I think it could be argued he is better than these already decent numbers initially show. One could also suggest his father and friend dying likely took his numbers down a notch. His appearance at the ASG may also give him the edge when it comes to perceived worth.

In any case, IMO, he is clearly a top 10 goalie... possibly even top 5 this season all things considered.

It will be interesting to see what he will be asking for, and how much Benning is willing to (or even CAN) pay. If you look at a few of the inflated goalie contracts out there like Bobrovsky, I don't think it is unrealistic that a GM might offer him over 7 million a season. That may seem high, but I could see it.

CDC seems to think he is worth far less than that. But I say if we get him on a shorter (3 year?) term for around 6 million, we will have done well. Any less than that would be some serious magic by Benning imo.

Should be interesting.

I think even three years might be hard to swing...Markstroms camp might will want to get as much as possible given it could be his last deal - and definitely is his last money (and big one at that) deal.   Think they would compromise more on cap then term but a compromise can be made.  Hard to know for sure but I'm thinking 5-5.5x5 might be the deal that they end up agreeing on 

• Upvote 1

Take him any day as our Starter. !

Glad to have Marky. He’s only had a few clunkers this year but won more on his head then lost and has been consistent throughout each night to make sure we have a chance to win. He’s given this team confidence from the back end to just go play the game. 

When considering his personal loss to start the year, I could care less about his stats, it should be expected he wasn’t always totally able to play 100 % focused for a few months., he’s a top 5 tender in my books and you can really see recently just how good he’s going to be for the next 3-5 years. 

• Cheers 1

Easy answer:

Yes, he is a #1 goalie.

The harder question... What is Demko?

Because Demko determines what happens with Markstrom. While I don't agree that one of them HAS to go.. I do believe for good asset management, one of them SHOULD go, for a top 6 or 1st rounder. Gotta pay to play.

On 2/1/2020 at 8:38 PM, The_Rocket said:

The $6 million dollar figure doesn’t seem to be far off... but the term is basically the entire issue.  $6x2, sure..... $6x6 no way.

I see a lower cap hit with a medium term $5.25x 3 or 4 years, the using Demko at the draft as a trade piece.