The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

28 minutes ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

Reliving all those Burrows highlights made me curious to see how the prospects are doing that were involved in his trade.

Linus Karlsson (3rd pick from San Jose - traded to Van for Jonathan Dahlen)

Playing in the Allsvenskan league

Listed on elite prospects at 6’1” and 179lbs at 20 years old (pretty good size and it’s nice to have another centre prospect in the system).

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
2017-18 Karlskrona HK SweHL 13 0 1 1 2 -3 -- -- -- -- --
2018-19 Karlskrona HK Swe-1 52 5 13 18 59 7          
2019-20 Karlskrona HK Swe-1 27 6 9 15 14 -6        

I realize these are two different players, playing two different positions, but I wanted to check out Jonathan Dahlen as well:

2019-20 1.png Timrå IK “A”  Allsvenskan  26 14 21 35 8 7

35 points in 26 games as a 21 year old in the Allsvenskan

Age is so crucial at this stage in a young player's development.  Dahlen will be 22yrs old December 20th, while Karlsson just turned 20 November 16th. 

Dahlen is a sniper star in Sweden and might come back to the NHL one day.

I think Karlsson has a chance at becoming an NHL player in 2/3 yrs.  And a C to boot.

Here's an article on him from last Sept. 

https://www.fearthefin.com/2018/9/8/17833058/top-25-san-jose-sharks-under-25-linus-karlsson-prospect-report-karlskrona-allsvkenskan

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Alflives said:

Dhalen could score a million points in Sweden and it makes no difference.  He’s got no heart for North American hard nosed hockey.  

He is also still in the second tier swedish league.  If he is happy, good for him.  Looks like the Sens and nucks both lost that trade.  

• Cheers 1

If we keep recycling a lump..I'd imagine it usually just withers to dust.

But the gambler in me says keep trying, & one day the final product might be an astonishingly unearthed gem. As 50 contract rosters get deeper(yrs of top drafting), such lotto tix probably become just an amusing side-hobby...

• 1 month later...

From today's Canucks Army:

Vancouver Canucks prospect Linus Karlsson has a new home in the Allsvenskan.

The 20-year-old forward will join BIK Karlskoga and has already played in one game, scoring two assists.

Karlsson last played for Karlskrona HK in the Allsvenskan league, where he scored 42 points in 89 games. This year he had notched eight goals and 14 assists in 36 games.

The 6’1″, 179 lb. native of Eksjö, Sweden, was originally drafted by the San Jose Sharks, but the Canucks acquired his right in a Feb. 2019 deal for F Jonathan Dahlen.

Dahlen returned to Allsvenskan this season on a loan with Timra IK where he has scored 54 points in 37 games.

I like LK, he is an intriguing prospect.

I hope LK and T.Utunen come over to play AHL with Utica next season, get them used to NA hockey and Canuck systems.

Eliteprospects.com show he now has 4 assists in first 2 games for new team.

Edited by wexcar
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2019 at 3:01 PM, Phat Fingers said:

He is also still in the second tier swedish league.  If he is happy, good for him.  Looks like the Sens and nucks both lost that trade.  

Doesn’t look like a guy that relishes a challenge. He could have gone up and played in the top Swedish league, like Petterssen, and at the same time, but he stayed in the lower league. Came to Utica, found the going tough and left two different organizations to go back to a league where he could be a star.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Doesn’t look like a guy that relishes a challenge. He could have gone up and played in the top Swedish league, like Petterssen, and at the same time, but he stayed in the lower league. Came to Utica, found the going tough and left two different organizations to go back to a league where he could be a star.

Maybe if he relished a hot dog like Kessel then he would have more success in the league.

• Haha 2

12 points in 8 games for Karlsson with Bofors just proves he needed a change of scenery.

I definitely see Karlsson being a guy who the Canucks bring over to Utica this summer. It's a low key acquisition but he sort of seems like a Swedish Lukas Jasek. A swiss army knife of a player. Probably best for his development to come to the AHL. He'll be 21 next season.

If he can even get into a handful of NHL games in his career, it'll be a win of a trade. Definitely don't believe Dahlen will ever return to the North America. He just doesn't seem to have the drive to be an NHL player.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

We called him Kruton at the time cuz the last thing he ever did was opt for the salad.

In his day he was an absolute force of nature, a bull on the ice. To see him struggle so much that one year was at times maddening and then confusing. Such a shame.

• Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, zimmy said:

In his day he was an absolute force of nature, a bull on the ice. To see him struggle so much that one year was at times maddening and then confusing. Such a shame.

It was a shame, indeed. Under the orders of the Soviet military they could keep his appetites Under control, but without a discipline imposed from above he was a lost soul. After Makarov, he was supposed to be the best of the Russians, but sadly we could not make the remaining two thirds of the KLM line work. Of course, Larionov being here for Bure May have been what made that work at the start of that great career.

• Cheers 1