The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brogan Rafferty | D

GoldenAlien

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see Raffery called up once the inevitable Tanev injury hits. I don't know exactly how well he's passing the eye test, but the dude is absolutely tearing the AHL apart stat-wise. Might be too good for that league. 

I could see him making Stetcher an expendable piece, and I imagine that there are a few teams around the league that would covet the opportunity to land a guy like Stetcher. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'd like to see Raffery called up once the inevitable Tanev injury hits. I don't know exactly how well he's passing the eye test, but the dude is absolutely tearing the AHL apart stat-wise. Might be too good for that league. 

I could see him making Stetcher an expendable piece, and I imagine that there are a few teams around the league that would covet the opportunity to land a guy like Stetcher. 

Toronto would for sure be interested

4 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Toronto would for sure be interested

I was scanning HFboards a while back (the general section, not the cancerous Canucks section that, even on HFboards, has a horrible reputation), and someone proposed the idea of moving Stetcher for Kapanen, and a few of the TO based posters seemed intrigued by the idea. Chances are we'd have to add a little, but it's something worth exploring imo. Would give Horvat a pretty legit and consistent linemate and would allow Rafferty the opportunity to step in on the bottom pairing. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I was scanning HFboards a while back (the general section, not the cancerous Canucks section that, even on HFboards, has a horrible reputation), and someone proposed the idea of moving Stetcher for Kapanen, and a few of the TO based posters seemed intrigued by the idea. Chances are we'd have to add a little, but it's something worth exploring imo. Would give Horvat a pretty legit and consistent linemate and would allow Rafferty the opportunity to step in on the bottom pairing. 

I like that a lot. I was thinking bracco and a pick (3rd round maybe?) but if Toronto is willing to part with Kapanen Canucks should be all over that. Maybe send motte back as well to even out the cap

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

How is he on defense? Is he physical? Who is his partner most of the time?

A like that he's scoring but how is he away from the puck?

This. 

I haven't caught any Comets games this year. Can anyone speak to his defensive side of the game? The scoring is nice, especially in his 1st year pro. But seeing Pouliot at the top, coupled with Rafferty's age, I'm cautiously optimistic.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Love Stetcher and his dedication to the team but that's a trade you have to make. Adds some much needed speed and another top 6 option. I don't think Stetcher alone gets it done though.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

This. 

I haven't caught any Comets games this year. Can anyone speak to his defensive side of the game? The scoring is nice, especially in his 1st year pro. But seeing Pouliot at the top, coupled with Rafferty's age, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Love Stetcher and his dedication to the team but that's a trade you have to make. Adds some much needed speed and another top 6 option. I don't think Stetcher alone gets it done though.

Rafferty is a team best +11 on the season.

Pouliot is only 1 point ahead of Rafferty and has the 2nd worst +/- for d-men on San Antonio at -4.

I have seen about 6-8 Comets games and Rafferty's defensive game has looked very good to me. He is very mobile, gets the puck out of the zone very well and seems to be fine from a physicality perspective although he could use a little more strength in handling the bigger forwards in front of the net. Obviously this is only my perspective but I have been quite impressed.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

3 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

2nd in AHL defense scoring behind only pouliot

Yes, with a big game tonight, Rafferty is making a run at being the top scoring D-man in the AHL. He is just one point behind Pouliot. And he is well ahead of some other significant names like Jake Bean and Evan Bouchard (although both those guys are a few years younger.) 

At age 24 Rafferty is still young enough that we could expect further development. He is a classic late bloomer. According to Dobber Prospects he was 5'6 in his draft year. He is now 6'2 and is listed at 198 lbs on the Utica website. Kind of like Chris Tanev (late bloomer) except he is heavier and stronger than Tanev. Many guys, like Horvat and Virtanen reach their full height by their draft year. On average, males gain about 1 inch from when they turn 18 to their full adult height.

With a plus/minus of +11 Rafferty leads the Comets and is tied for 9th among AHL D-men, despite playing on a team that is only slightly above average. 

Another interesting fact is that he rarely takes a penalty. His pim per game of 0.16 is 2nd lowest on the Comets among "regulars" (behind only Camper) and by far the lowest for the D-men.  

Still no guarantees, but he has been a very positive surprise. As a right shot he is a logical callup if Tanev gets hurt. But I am not ready to trade Stecher yet. Stecher never gets enough respect and Rafferty still has to prove he can defend as well as Stecher, but he has turned into to good prospect. At this point I have him ahead of OJ on the depth chart (and ahead of all the D's in Utica). Even though he is 24 that is impressive performance for an AHL rookie coming out of college. (Of course, the Canucks have another rookie pro coming out of the NCAA who is doing alright -- Quinn Hughes.)

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 1