The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With Petey falling off in scoring, do you think Binnington has a chance at winning the Calder? (Votes are cast pre-playoffs)

Rate this topic

iBlueGreen

Petterson, Dalhin or Binnington for Calder?  

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the race will be closer than everyone thought, but ultimately I think Petey still wins.

Yes Binnington has been a big contributor to St-Louis turn around...but i still think the team in general is playing better..  This is not the Hart trophy, it's the Calder, so ultimately I think Petey wins.

EDIT: Ultimately, it will depends on the Vezina also.  If Binnington is in the Vezina conversation, then he should also be in the Calder conversation.  But I think, in both voting, the number of games played will hurt him.

Edited by timberz21
  • Upvote 1

I'd be looking at Pettersson, Dahlin & Binnington.. aren't Heiskanen & Hart rookies too?  there's some good competition

probably Pettersson and Binnington have the best season, but Dahlin isn't far off either.. 

I don't reeeeaaally care that much, but it would be cool for Petey to win.. I'd certainly vote for him:)

3 hours ago, smokes said:

If Pettersson totally dried up then the Calder goes to Binnington but he is still producing assists so he hasn't exactly fallen off the map. If Petey doesn't get the Calder then the NHL is rigged against the Canucks.

Voting is conducted by the Professional Hockey Writers Association.

• Upvote 1

OP,

One thing missing from your question is how much EP40's transition to center will play into things.  

He went from being a RW in the SEL to a center in the NHL and setting team records along the way.  

IMO EP40 already has it, but 30g would seal the deal.  The season has definitely worn on him, but I suspect thetr is an undisclosed injury as Dr Jock itch has speculated on.  His $&!# disappeared....

Not a chance. Won't even play half a season.

Pettersson was at his peak in the first half of his season as well. But part of the award is making it through the rigors of a full season and continuing to produce, which Elias has, albeit at a reduced pace.

7 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Goalies can get hot. Remember Andrew Hammond? He dragged the Senators to a playoff spot a couple of years ago with a crazy 20-1-2 run. That was his rookie season. Ekblad won the Calder that year. 

Edit: the other finals were Gaudreau and Stone. So Hammond wasn't even a finalist

Ekblad: 12-27-39 in 81 GP 

Gaudreau: 24-40-64 in 80 GP

Stone: 26-38-64 in 80 GP

Pettersson this season: 27-38-65 in 68 GP

Dahlin this season: 8-33-41 in 80 GP

Heiskanin this season: 12-21-33 in 80 GP

Hammond's stats that season: 20-1-2. 1.79 GAA 0.941 SV% and 3 shutouts

Binnington's stats this season: 22-5-0 1.85 GAA 0.928 SV% and 5 shutouts

Similar but Hammond looks better

Umm Hammond wasn’t a rookie in 2014-15. That was his 26 year old season which made him told old to be in the rookie conversation. Chris Driedger was the only rookie goalie to play for the sens that year. So it’s doesn’t do you any good to compare the two.

Hammond did end up 7th in vezina voting and 15th in hart. Despite only playing 24 games. 

Edited by ForsbergTheGreat
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's amazing, but I don't see a goalie winning it unless they play 40+ games. I think EP wins in a landslide. Dahlin and Binnington will be lucky to get a few votes here and there for 1st. I think even Binnington might not beat out Tkachuk for 3rd.

I wouldn’t at all consider EP a sure bet in the race over a younger, 40+ point all-around Dman. 

40 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Umm Hammond wasn’t a rookie in 2014-15. That was his 26 year old season which made him told old to be in the rookie conversation. Chris Driedger was the only rookie goalie to play for the sens that year. So it’s doesn’t do you any good to compare the two.

Hammond did end up 7th in vezina voting and 15th in hart. Despite only playing 24 games. 

Based on what I've read, you have to be 26 or younger by September 15th of your rookie season and Hammond was still 26 on September 15 2014

I don't think Pettersson is a shoe-in, like he was before Christmas. He's struggled to get any points lately and can't seem to score. I think he'll still win it, due to his success during the first half, but it will be close. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't win it though either. Look at how good Heiskanen has been this year too. And Brady Tkachuk (on a worse team) has 21 goals (only 6 less than Petey). Pettersson took his foot off the gas, stopped shooting and here we are.

• Like 1

I kind of hope it is Binnington because A: he grabbed that team by the scruff and pulled them out of an all out tail spin to clinch not just a wild card but 3rd in the central. He won huge games for them down the stretch while Pete disappeared. B: If Pete wins you can tack a couple extra million onto his next contract. 

It's a bit of a blessing Brock didn't win last year punctuated by him being out scored this year by Bo who was given worse linemates and harder mins to play I think Brock on his honor will take a similar contract to Bo where as if he had won the Calder and had a bit hotter season this year I could see him getting 8m  or more. 

I am hoping that the kids are bonding. That Pete Bo Brock Hughes see that we are building a Stanley cup winning dynasty here (I had a dream B)). If they take the home team discount and bring the first cup to Vancouver they will make those millions back 10 fold in sponsorships and advertising for the rest of their lives. 

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

There is no chance on the god given earth that Binnington gets it. I doubt he would even garner a few first place votes. He played like 30 games

Dude...it's Binnington vs a Canuck.  No doubt Bettman will find a way to walk it towards Pettersson then say just kidding get up here Binnington we'd never give an award to a Vancouver player :bigblush:

Edited by Warhippy
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I don't think Pettersson is a shoe-in, like he was before Christmas. He's struggled to get any points lately and can't seem to score. I think he'll still win it, due to his success during the first half, but it will be close. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't win it though either. Look at how good Heiskanen has been this year too. And Brady Tkachuk (on a worse team) has 21 goals (only 6 less than Petey). Pettersson took his foot off the gas, stopped shooting and here we are.

I hope you aren't saying Brady is competing for the Calder, because Petey has 22 more points than him and only one more GP.