The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

THN Future Watch 2019 - Four Canucks In Top 100

GoldenAlien

The Hockey News released its Future Watch top 100 prospects list and the Canucks have four:

#2 Quinn Hughes

#35 Thatcher Demko

#66 Olli Juolevi 

#70 Tyler Madden 

Full list here, though it’s subscription only:

https://thehockeynews.com/all-access/article/future-watch-top-100-prospects

Biech had his own write up:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-the-hockey-news/c-306699334

Hughes is only behind Makar, who’s at #1. Unfortunately Juolevi dropped 45 spots (#21 last year) because of his knee injury.  Demko rose 3 spots and is the third ranked goalie behind Luukonen (#21) and Samsonov (#29). 

I'm happy to see Canucks' assets on the list, but somewhat concerned that several guys aren't on the list.  One might have hoped there would be a couple other guys mentioned (Lind, Gajo, DiP, ect....).  Of course there's still a LOT of time for these unmentioned guys to develop further. 

Recently there was an article placing Canucks prospect pool in the top 3 in the entire NHL:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-top-prospects-best-worst-farm-system-draft-history-sabres-flyers-canucks-penguins/1bho4124nwrog1xk1q95ibejgj

But if you look at that exact list of players and take out the ones that don't qualify as 'prospects' anymore, our franchise is nowhere near as deep as some people think it is.  EP and Gaudette don't qualify as a prospect anymore (according to their criteria) and Dahlen is gone. Furthermore, QH43 and Demko won't qualify soon either (no more than 25games played in the NHL) so there goes 5 of the top 6 guys off the list with only OJ left as a 'prospect' according to their article.  Yes, I know other teams have players graduate off their prospect pool to the NHL also - all I'm saying is that there is still a lot of work for JB and his staff to do yet, and I believe they understand that - do some of us though? 

Edited by Fanuck

31 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I'm happy to see Canucks' assets on the list, but somewhat concerned that several guys aren't on the list.  One might have hoped there would be a couple other guys mentioned (Lind, Gajo, DiP, ect....).  Of course there's still a LOT of time for these unmentioned guys to develop further. 

Recently there was an article placing Canucks prospect pool in the top 3 in the entire NHL:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/nhl-top-prospects-best-worst-farm-system-draft-history-sabres-flyers-canucks-penguins/1bho4124nwrog1xk1q95ibejgj

But if you look at that exact list of players and take out the ones that don't qualify as 'prospects' anymore, our franchise is nowhere near as deep as some people think it is.  EP and Gaudette don't qualify as a prospect anymore (according to their criteria) and Dahlen is gone. Furthermore, QH43 and Demko won't qualify soon either (no more than 25games played in the NHL) so there goes 5 of the top 6 guys off the list with only OJ left as a 'prospect' according to their article.  Yes, I know other teams have players graduate off their prospect pool to the NHL also - all I'm saying is that there is still a lot of work for JB and his staff to do yet, and I believe they understand that - do some of us though? 

Woo

Lockwood

DiPietro

McEneny

McEwen

All looks like potential players.  THN never delves deeper than the flash and sizzle unless a later pick has made some serious noise, won a championship or award.  There is still a lot of work to do.  2 or 3 solid drafts with 1-3 sure fire players or even guaranteed depth is precisely what this team needs

Finally see the direction we're heading though and it looks good

• Upvote 1

I mean if you look at our top 10 prospects that have played 10 NHL games or less its still pretty damn good. Next time there are draft rankings other players may be stepping up. Like Lind, Madden, DiPietro, Woo and Rathbone.

Player                  Potential

Hughes               Top pair 

Demko                #1 goalie

Juolevi                Top 4 defensemen

Woo                    Top 4 defensemen

MacEwen           Middle 6 winger

Madden              Middle 6 centre

Rathbone           Top 4 defensemen 

DiPietro              #1 goalie

Lind                    Middle 6 winger

Jasek                 Middle 6 winger

Other good prospects

Gadjovich           Middle 6 winger

Karlsson             Middle 6 centre

Lockwood          Middle 6 winger

Brisebois            Bottom 3 defensemen

Utunen               Bottom pair defensemen

Teves

Rafferty

Chatfield

Palmu

Kielly

Thiessen

So we are missing some elite talent, but elite talent is expensive and solid middle six wingers are desperately needed for any team. 

Going forward the Canucks need another top RD prospect and an elite top 6 winger for Horvat. Soon Pettersson will have the Crosby effect making his line mates better, a Gadj, Virtanen could really excel in that role in the future.

RD options   -Draft, Soderstrom or Seider

-Free agent signing, Kaski or Priskie

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

using these criteria makes evaluating "prospect pools" arbitrary and pointless. if a team's "prospect pool" is considered worse because players are good enough to graduate, or because the nhl roster is weak enough that it forces under-ripe kids into the lineup, that seems silly.

it's far more sensible to evaluate "players under 23" or something similar than it is to evaluate players not currently on the nhl roster. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, tas said:

it's far more sensible to evaluate "players under 23" or something similar than it is to evaluate players not currently on the nhl roster. 

This was the criteria used:

In the following rankings, the zone of consideration for all 310 prospects is Calder Trophy (NHL rookie of the year) eligibility - between 18-26 years old and no more than 25 combined NHL regular season games played. Teams with multiple prospects who possess superior talent (i.e. star potential) received favorable grades, as did teams with a significant amount of post-draft prospects with impressive numbers (regardless of sample size) against adult-age competition in either the National Hockey League or the American Hockey League. The reason is simple: It's a lot easier to light up a junior hockey league than to do the same against men in the NHL or AHL.

From what I can tell from the players on the various teams' lists, they evaluated ANY player drafted by any NHL team. 

On 4/16/2019 at 9:59 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Before we used to complain that our draft picks never made it to the big club.

Now we complain that too many of our draft picks are making the jump to the big club. 

And who says Canadian markets are a hard place to play/coach/manage in? 

The horror...basically all of out top picks and even a few depth ones have already translated to the NHL...:lol:

And people act like we aren't going to continue to draft moving forward. We're bound to have a few more 10-20 picks (including one this June) moving forward. Not to mention the additional 2nd's, 3rd's etc.

We're also finally getting to the point where Benning actually has sale-able assets to move for additional picks (or prospects).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

One more year we need another pick for the first round. 8 to 14 range time to make a splash our draft

This is likely the last time JB gets to draft in the top ten for a long time so he best hit a home run. If as is suggested the maturity of our best prospects comes into effect we may end up in the worse situation any team could be, mediocrity, middle of the pack. Certainly, Vcr needs likely a couple more high-end talented players to go beyond mediocrity and 2019 is that moment when it either withers or pushes ahead IMO 

On 4/17/2019 at 10:06 AM, aGENT said:

The horror...basically all of out top picks and even a few depth ones have already translated to the NHL...:lol:

And people act like we aren't going to continue to draft moving forward. We're bound to have a few more 10-20 picks (including one this June) moving forward. Not to mention the additional 2nd's, 3rd's etc.

We're also finally getting to the point where Benning actually has sale-able assets to move for additional picks (or prospects).

additionally, JB is getting to the point where he has liquidated most of the older players with NTC/NMC and has the depth to start replacing aging players with younger players........we'll likely see him move more older players for picks in the coming years.........it's like setting up a perpetual harvest!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/16/2019 at 9:51 AM, Fanuck said:

31 teams in the league so on average every team should have 3 prospects ranked 15th, 46th, and 77th. 

We are way above average, but I do agree that JB has a lot of work to do. We need to have one prospect enter that list from this draft.