The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

Well it’s no secret that the same posters are defending the move tooth and nail.

Personally, I’m going to reserve on my concerns to wait and see what player the lightning end up drafting with our 1st round pick. That’ll give us a better idea on whether this was a mistake or not. 

Edited by guntrix
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

That can also put up 50 points in the regular season? Good luck.

And Miller was not the only one to struggle offensively in the post season FYI. The whole team did, hence the 4 game sweep. Players making alot more than him too.

I agree

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Well free agents don't have contracts.  That's what makes them free agents.  So it'd be pretty hard for me to find free agents on a reasonable contract.  

Also, where did I say he's bad???  I said he's not worth at all what we gave up.  

You said he's a player available every free agency. I'm saying show me. Use past examples. I won't wait..

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Cheers 1

Just now, CanadianRugby said:

Just like Toronto planned on their 1sts for Kessel being late

Just like Ottawa planned on their 1st for Duchene being late

Alright.  Hey, if you’re right then Benning will be long gone.  There’s that bright side to look forward to!

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That can also put up 50 points in the regular season? Good luck.

And Miller was not the only one to struggle offensively in the post season FYI. The whole team did, hence the 4 game sweep. Players making alot more than him too.

But they had to give up someone, and they got maximum value doing. Plus they pulled it off right before him NTC kicked it. Excellent move. 

They've made alot of picks over the years so they have young players coming up. Cirelli, Joseph, Raddysh, Katchouk, exc.

I find it amusing that people are on here complaining about this trade and talking about how we need the draft pick etc - we rank top 5 in all of the prospect rankings I have seen. Giving up a 1st rounder and a 3rd to get a 26 yr old power forward who addresses a major need for this team - top 6 player is a risk I am more than comfortable having Benning take.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

With Miller what does Benning do with all the crappy forwards?

going to overpay a D man in FA, have 0 room to sign any F we need to dump a few or waive a bunch at camp. Cant even add one as a throw in to a deal had to be a 3rd rounder.

Oh well, not JB 1st or last move that I am skeptical on. Hope that mini swede we took can be a Zuccarello type for us, sure wanted us to take Korzak from the Rockets who went next pick

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

With Miller what does Benning do with all the crappy forwards?

We have a bunch of RFA's who won't be qualified. They have no value. Then they will sign with other teams as depth.

2 minutes ago, KeslerWho? said:

Benning upgraded the wrong position.. We just drafted our top 6 winger.

Way too much for something we don't really need 

Podkolzin is 2 years away, 1 at the very earliest... Miller can also play C Podkolzin won't...

Edited by canuck73_3

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Overreact much? Keep in mind the 1st is conditional. If it turns out to be a high end pick, we have bigger issues at that point.

People here are going all doom and gloom, yet we actually got a player we need on our roster. There's word that other teams like Calgary wanted Miller so we clearly had to beat out at least one other team on this.

Uh yeah if it turns out to be a high pick it means we're a garbage team with no draft picks.  I'd say that's an issue.  Though not one Benning would have to worry about so he don't care. 

We do need a Miller on our roster but he's not a gamechanger.  If you're a meh team like the Canucks are, you shouldn't trade your 1st & 3rd unless it's a player that will change the franchise, IMO.  

• Upvote 2