The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) - Luke Schenn moving on?

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

At worst, if things did not work out, the Canucks could put him on waivers and, if he did not get picked up, send him to Utica. 

That was my thinking. Re-sign Schenn on the cheap and have him start the year either as a depth #7/8 or spare player stashed in Utica. Our team history tells us we’re going to have lots of injuries this year (and every year) on defense, so why not keep a guy who we know can fit in well with the team, both on the ice and in the room, and who we can retain for minimal cap and term. Keeping Schenn really shouldn’t have factored into our cap calculations, as far as leaving room for upgrading the defense. His contract would have likely been low enough to bury in the AHL, and if he made the lineup out of camp, he might even save us some cap room, compared to the average salary for 3rd pairing Ds.

Just when I thought this off season was going to be fun, it seems to be crumbling:

Luongo penalty ($3m less cap)

Hutton wanting too much

Boeser deal not close (apparently)

Schenn is probably leaving

Sutter and Eriksson still on the roster

Myers is going to want more than he's worth IMO

the Canucks need to get Horvat a RW, but can they afford to?  

Will this be the top 6 next season?

Baertschi - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - J.T. Miller

I sure hope Benning has a few things in the works to sort out this roster

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It’s all talk to get his price up a bit right now.. I’m sure there is a fair offer from any club interested in LS..  but sometimes the savings in tax payout tilts the scale.

We are taxed too much in this country..   would really like to see a flat tax for all up here to experiment with (including corporate).

I think if it started at 15-17 % we would still have our social infrastructure, and you and I would have more money in our pocket to stimulate the economy in a big way, and be healthier for it.

My co-worker was talking about our expensive west coast paradise.  His relative from California told him we need more hippies.  Hippies will demonstrate all day long and will never give up until things change.  B.C. residents will complain, then go back to watch their TV and forget about it.  The Liberal politicians know this.  Money always rules vs the people lives.  That's why they didn't do anything when the dirty money came into BC.  Fck the people.

Going out for food in California is cheap compared to going out in B.C.  Many businesses in BC that has been around for decades are now closing up because of the taxes.  We pay the most taxes on gas, ferry rides, property, income, etc.  People, we are being gouged.  We are all sheep.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It’s all talk to get his price up a bit right now.. I’m sure there is a fair offer from any club interested in LS..  but sometimes the savings in tax payout tilts the scale.

We are taxed too much in this country..   would really like to see a flat tax for all up here to experiment with (including corporate).

I think if it started at 15-17 % we would still have our social infrastructure, and you and I would have more money in our pocket to stimulate the economy in a big way, and be healthier for it.

Not to derail but interesting article on signing bonuses being taxed differently than income in Canada and ways for  athletes to lessen the tax hit in Canada. Doesn’t help regarding cap hit for Canadian teams though. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/sports/leafs/analysis/2019/06/29/for-marner-and-leonard-it-pays-to-know-a-few-contract-shortcuts.html

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just when I thought this off season was going to be fun, it seems to be crumbling:

Hutton wanting too much

Hey, look on the bright side.  The sun is shining and we are all above ground.

1 minute ago, Whale Tail said:

Not to derail but interesting article on signing bonuses being taxed differently than income in Canada and ways for  athletes to lessen the tax hit in Canada. Doesn’t help regarding cap hit for Canadian teams though. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thestar.com/amp/sports/leafs/analysis/2019/06/29/for-marner-and-leonard-it-pays-to-know-a-few-contract-shortcuts.html

Didn’t that loser who swiped the #11 “live” in Pt Roberts as a tax dodge?  (I refuse to mention his name :P)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Didn’t that loser who swiped the #11 “live” in Pt Roberts as a tax dodge?  (I refuse to mention his name :P)

I don’t remember that about him.  What a piece of crap that guy was. :sick:

Just now, b3. said:

Wonder what kind of term and salary he is looking for... 

Really shouldn’t be more than a 1 year deal.

Sure he wants a second year.  We (likely?) won’t give it to him.  I would go two years, as long as his salary wasn’t more than the amount we can fully bury in the minors.  

Luke seems like a great guy, but we need to view him in comparison to the league not our decimated d lineup last year. Upgrading Schenn to Myers is a home run imo if it can be done for 6 mil. 

We also don't have a dman signed past 2 seasons from now - Edler and Hughes are the two. Some veteran stability would be a good thing as Edler bows out and we bring in guys like Woo who could learn a lot from Myers. 

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hutton wanting too much

slight nitpick here re: Hutton. We have no idea what Hutton wants. What we know, is he is a RFA and based on his last contract, to just qualify him, our offer has to be in the 3.5-4M range, which JB thinks is too much to just qualify Hutton. He may very well want to play for 2M per year ( who knows), but to qualify an RFA, a formula has to be followed based on cap-increase, the % increase he is due and his last contract $$. No one has a choice on what amount to qualify an RFA on, really, when it comes to the minimum number. 

Hard not to like Schenn -  he was such a pro when he wound up in the AHL - refreshing attitude that along with working hard earned his way back into the NHL.

And aside from not being the most mobile guy, his game was solid and consistent (seems to have grown out of the Toronto-effect).

But it's hard to see him haven't a good enough opportunity here - if/when the Canucks do sign a 20ish minute RHD - it would leave Schenn 5th in the depth chart - which could mean opportunities in due course if there are injuries, but he can probably do better elsewhere than toiling in the AHL for most of the season.

Even if the Canucks signed no one - he'd still be a #4 imo behind Biega.

He would be nice to have around though - and if the team were to sign a veteran shutdown LHD with some size and grit, Schenn could make a good partner for that player on a '3rd" pairing shutdown unit.   I don't particularly like the idea of Hughes/Schenn, in spite of how game he was last year - I think Hughes could use a more mobile guy with him.

I hope Schenn does really well in free agency.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

Too bad but we still have Biega under contract for next year so a healthy right side (assuming we add) gets a little crowded.  Would be nice if we could have both of em though, especially if Tanev is with the club this year.