The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Columbus wants to offer sheet Marner

10 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Marner has lead the Leaf's in scoring 2 years running.  So he is right.

The thing is, who is going to pay Marner more than Matthews?  What leverage does he have other than holding out?

The crap's going to hit the fan for Dubas soon enough

Definitely going to be a hold out. Like we both discussed no one will offer sheet him that 11 or 12M. We will see Nylander version 2.0 on this one. Mid season signing for sure. 

8 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Definitely going to be a hold out. Like we both discussed no one will offer sheet him that 11 or 12M. We will see Nylander version 2.0 on this one. Mid season signing for sure. 

Probably, or double down and move Nylander :lol:.

Then there's next year and they won't be able to afford Barrie regardless.

Dubas has been greedy and he's going to have to pay the piper.  Isn't Leafland fun?

Edited by Crabcakes
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Interesting.....so Marner would entertain an offer sheet only as a tool to get a contract done with the Leafs

My personal thought is that anybody who offer sheets a top player and forgo's 4 x 1st round picks is a fool.  I would't even do that for McDavid.

Just for fun here. 

Let’s use Boston as a guinea pig. 

Last 7 first round picks. 

Beecher

Vaakanainen

McAvoy

Frederic

For McDavid?

What about the next 3?

Zboril

Debrusk

Senyshyn

Pastrnak is the next one. 

• Cheers 1

IMHO if I was Marner I would be asking for Mathews money no question. Leading in points. Was their best player the last playoffs.. just because he’s a winger doesn’t mean he has less of an impact on the game. Just because you can win a face off doesn’t mean your more valuable then the better player beside you.. am I right or am I right? :frantic:

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Interesting.....so Marner would entertain an offer sheet only as a tool to get a contract done with the Leafs

My personal thought is that anybody who offer sheets a top player and forgo's 4 x 1st round picks is a fool.  I would't even do that for McDavid.

Washington is even worse.

McMichael

Alexeyev

Johansen

Samsonov

For McDavid? Yup. 

Vrana

Burakovsky

Forsberg

Wilson

for McDavid? Hmmmm. 

Edited by Losing With Pride

there was a topic on this, and someone on reddit, claims that he is somewhat close to the Marner family and Mitch does not give a crap about the hometown discount b.s.  He intends to sign for as much as whoever can pay him and is willing to sign the offer sheet wherever it is, even if its Columbus, with the intentions of moving teams if Toronto doesn't match.  

kinda makes us appreciate the players in the past taking pay cuts to stay in Vancouver. Bo Horvat too.  Toronto really f ed themselves over with the Tavares over payment and the Matthews McDavid like contracts.

55 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

there was a topic on this, and someone on reddit, claims that he is somewhat close to the Marner family and Mitch does not give a crap about the hometown discount b.s.  He intends to sign for as much as whoever can pay him and is willing to sign the offer sheet wherever it is, even if its Columbus, with the intentions of moving teams if Toronto doesn't match.  

kinda makes us appreciate the players in the past taking pay cuts to stay in Vancouver. Bo Horvat too.  Toronto really f ed themselves over with the Tavares over payment and the Matthews McDavid like contracts.

I think Marner figured everyone was going to take discounts, then Willy got paid and so did Mathews so why should Marner be the only guy to take a discount?

the reason it worked in van before is cause the top players wanted to win and we had a GM that knew what he was doing( when it came to contracts)....

once again the Oilers have xxxxed the whole league when they gave Mcdavid that contract now all young stars want that money.....

thats good to hear that Marner is willing to sign maybe the islanders will surprise everyone or the blue jackets I just hope for someone to do it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Columbus is actually a really nice city 

Columbus is awesome. Really nice place, clean, safe, good restaurants, big enough to have entertainment but not too big where it has horrible congestion. Some nice architecture as well. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I think Marner figured everyone was going to take discounts, then Willy got paid and so did Mathews so why should Marner be the only guy to take a discount?

the reason it worked in van before is cause the top players wanted to win and we had a GM that knew what he was doing( when it came to contracts)....

once again the Oilers have xxxxed the whole league when they gave Mcdavid that contract now all young stars want that money.....

thats good to hear that Marner is willing to sign maybe the islanders will surprise everyone or the blue jackets I just hope for someone to do it. 

The only guy I can think that took a hometown discount was Hammer. Everyone else was paid in relation to the Sedins. Which makes sense. They were our best players and they set the bar. I think most of those contracts only effect internal cap structures. Does Marner ask for 11-12 mil if Matthews is making 10? Does Nylander ask for 7 in that case? Boeser's contract will hopefully be structured around what Bo is making. I'd argue that overall Boeser is not better than Bo.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, grandmaster said:

He can’t though. No other team will pay him that extra mill AND give up 4 firsts. That would be the most stupid thing ever. Marner has to accept that.

I guess they can always cave in mid season like they did with Nylander and then hope that the cap goes up at the end of next year.

Without Marner the Leaf’s will struggle.  He’s their best player.  I’m hoping for a big dollar offer sheet, and the Loser Leafs let him go.  

19 hours ago, Xbox said:

CBJ barely made the playoffs and lost a lot of pieces. All Marner would do is replace Panarin. Four 1st's when you may not make the playoffs is such a steep price.

Imagine Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson and Hughes all gone as compensation to another team on top of their own 1st round selections. You're setting up another franchise for success at that point.

They wouldnt be early firsts most likely.  With Marner they wouldnt be a bottom team. 

• Cheers 1

Giving up 4 1st rounders is a big potential cost to any team. Plus the cap crunch that they will inevitably face if they get Marner at 11 mil or whatever.

Toronto is win now though, so future picks only help them as trade bait. Could Toronto take those 1sts and replace what Marner brings? Maybe, maybe not. Could they trade Marner for a better immediate return? Again, perhaps they could.

Letting Marner go after making such a big deal about him being the hometown hero, etc. will be hard for even the leafs homer sports commentators to smooth over PR wise.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

Just for fun here. 

Let’s use Boston as a guinea pig. 

Last 7 first round picks. 

Beecher

Vaakanainen

McAvoy

Frederic

For McDavid?

What about the next 3?

Zboril

Debrusk

Senyshyn

Pastrnak is the next one. 

As well as they've 'retooled' and kept themselves competitive, that 2015 draft probably spared us all the putrid sight of ratface lifting the Cup again.

Not just hindsighting here - literally could not believe the way they spent those three picks (13, 14, 15).

What an absolutely great draft in which to have three mid to high round picks in succession.

But not if you do what they did with them (no disrespect to DeBrusk, who I like, but he's not enough out of those three picks)....

16. Matthew Barzal

17. Kyle Connor

18. Thomas Chabot.

thank the hockey gods the Bruins were off their game there.

And the rest is history muahahaha....

13 minutes ago, oldnews said:

As well as they've 'retooled' and kept themselves competitive, that 2015 draft probably spared us all the putrid sight of ratface lifting the Cup again.

Not just hindsighting here - literally could not believe the way they spent those three picks (13, 14, 15).

What an absolutely great draft in which to have three mid to high round picks in succession.

But not if you do what they did with them (no disrespect to DeBrusk, who I like, but he's not enough out of those three picks)....

16. Matthew Barzal

17. Kyle Connor

18. Thomas Chabot.

thank the hockey gods the Bruins were off their game there.

And the rest is history muahahaha....

I know this would never happen but could you imagine if Boston offer sheeted Marner and he signed.......Leaf fans would lose their minds ha music to my ears ha. 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I don't feel sorry for them one ounce.