The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

Demko has a golden opportunity.   Losing Markstrom is the absolute worst player we could of at this point....sucks sucks sucks.

Going to the next two games and was hoping for a couple Ws, can say the team plays more conservative with Demko in net for the most part..looking hard for a silver lining.   Also out myself with a knee injury (Mauy Thai) and can say they suck balls big time.   Hope it isn't too bad.  At least he's getting the best care too.   Again with the silver lining the next two anyways would have been good games to rest Markstrom.   Ugh.  JB ... must be sick to his stomach. 

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Also trying to look at the brightside here. We'll finally see what we have in demko. I dont expect him to be lights out like marky but if he cant handle the upcoming stretch then it may be for the best to leave him exposed. 

I say this as a huge demko supporter .

Yeah, this is absolutely a chance to see what we have and it will certainly affect Marky's negotiating powers one way or another depending on how the rest of this season plays out.

It would be totally unfair to expect anyone to give us what Marky has been giving us this season, but if he can elevate his game for us and our D can do the same (like what the 'Canes did for Ayres), we may have a chance to come out of this unscathed minimally scathed.

Markstrom was hurt when overextended on the Pastrnak goal I am sure.

That he didn't feel it right away is also very bad, torn ligaments hurt like hell, detached for about a minute or less. Also if if is an icl the knee keepss functioning and hurts later.

A menial meniscus tear will not always be painful either.

Benning said he flew to Montreal, woke up this morning and had a MRI after which they sent him back here to consult with the doctors. Again not a good sign, consultation means serious, try to rehab or operate or see if the operation can be postponed.

Quite a problem at this time of year, I wonder who they send down to the AHL to make room for him.

BUT

It could be nothing at all.

7 minutes ago, spur1 said:

The Sky is falling...the Sky is falling...take a pill..,shotgun a beer...puff on a fatty...the sky will still be here tomorrow. This won’t make any more than a game or two difference. We will still make the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Demko has a golden opportunity.   Losing Markstrom is the absolute worst player we could of at this point....sucks sucks sucks.

Going to the next two games and was hoping for a couple Ws, can say the team plays more conservative with Demko in net for the most part..looking hard for a silver lining.   Also out myself with a knee injury (Mauy Thai) and can say they suck balls big time.   Hope it isn't too bad.  At least he's getting the best care too.   Again with the silver lining the next two anyways would have been good games to rest Markstrom.   Ugh.  JB ... must be sick to his stomach. 

A possible side effect of this will be players trying to block more shots causing another injury.

Edited by Lazurus

27 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Among goalies with at least 20GP Demko is 40th in SV% and 45th in GAA...that's it...that's the post.

If the team didn't have that one complete meltdown in front of Demko against Pittsburgh in November and actually game him support you could argue he would have 3 goals less against, putting him right there with Marky.

Demko has work to do for sure, but the team needs to step up and create a situation where he can thrive.

This upcoming road trip is and easy week and a half, perfect for him to step in to

53 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Screw it, I'll be the asshole that gets dumped on by everyone. THIS is why bubble teams that rely heavily on their goaltending shouldn't be splurging on rentals.

Flame away.

Starting goalie getting hurt by almost any team will struggle. Luckily we have a decent backup and acquired some veteran support with decent numbers behind good NHL teams. This could be a good gauge towards negotiating with Marky or deciding to move on and ride the Demko train.

3 minutes ago, Wanless said:

If the team didn't have that one complete meltdown in front of Demko against Pittsburgh in November and actually game him support you could argue he would have 3 goals less against, putting him right there with Marky.

Demko has work to do for sure, but the team needs to step up and create a situation where he can thrive.

This upcoming road trip is and easy week and a half, perfect for him to step in to

Its 4 games in 6 days and 2 of the teams are fighting for their playoff lives, not what I would call easy. Domingue will likely have to start in TO or CBJ.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

A possible side effect of this will be players trying to block more shots causing another injury.

I don't think we will change the way we play with Demko in net. He hasn't looked out of place in his stints so far, so the team would have to lose confidence in Demko to overplay to cover for him. With that said, we will also give Domingue a look and maybe he has a nice streak of games to tide us over until Marky is back.

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

Its 4 games in 6 days and 2 of the teams are fighting for their playoff lives, not what I would call easy. Domingue will likely have to start in TO or CBJ.

Apparently it won't matter who we start in goal in Toronto. I'm sure Ayres is ready for another go.

• Haha 1

This isn’t good...but it will show what we really have. As a team we need to toughen up and tighten up defensively if we want to go anywhere in the playoffs. If starting a month early with Demko in net teaches us some better systems then so be it. I’ll be happy to watch Demko step up and show we have two viable starters while Marky gets the rest he needs. Really hoping he will be back for playoffs and in game shape though. MVP is tough to replace long term. 

1 minute ago, Amebushi said:

This isn’t good...but it will show what we really have. As a team we need to toughen up and tighten up defensively if we want to go anywhere in the playoffs. If starting a month early with Demko in net teaches us some better systems then so be it. I’ll be happy to watch Demko step up and show we have two viable starters while Marky gets the rest he needs. Really hoping he will be back for playoffs and in game shape though. MVP is tough to replace long term. 

This point holds true with or without Marky in net anyway. I think Demko is going to thrive knowing he's the guy now and can mentally prepare for games. He might have a couple of rough ones, but I don't think he will falter to the point where we are completely out of the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This point holds true with or without Marky in net anyway. I think Demko is going to thrive knowing he's the guy now and can mentally prepare for games. He might have a couple of rough ones, but I don't think he will falter to the point where we are completely out of the playoffs.

I completely agree, just hoping that putting Demko between the pipes will be a catalyst to start performing a little better as they can’t rely on Marky standing in his head every night

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Starting goalie getting hurt by almost any team will struggle. Luckily we have a decent backup and acquired some veteran support with decent numbers behind good NHL teams. This could be a good gauge towards negotiating with Marky or deciding to move on and ride the Demko train.

Marky ain't just a starting goalie though. He's been a damn revelation, and is probably the biggest single reason why we're in the hunt. As a team, we bleed high risk chances, and with anything other than outstanding goaltending we'd likely be well on the outside looking in. Maybe the team will learn on the fly to play a better structured defensive game, maybe Demko will find his NHL groove and truly become the goaltender of the future. These are big ifs though.

More than anything I'm just pissed about the Toffoli trade. Not a slight against the player, but it's just not the type of move that a bubble team that's heavily reliant on their goaltending should be making, and with our playoff chances severely hurt with Marky being out, that's less initiative for Toff to resign, and we essentially end up losing Madden and our 2nd for nothing. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Both those teams are struggling as of late with Columbus being 27 in the league for goals for though 3rd for goals against and Toronto is 28th for goals against and 2nd for goals for. 

With the Columbus game being the second of a back to back I could see Demko getting it and then heading home.

They are both fighting just to stay relevant especially if you consider they've both played more games. And if winning percentage is factored in all 4 teams are on the outside looking in

They have issues winning game to say the least.

At this point it would just be nice for the Canucks to make it into the playoffs after making so many improvements this year.  I think Demko will be able to provide good goaltending down the stretch.  Domingue is also capable of stretches of strong play.  IIRC, he had a couple good runs with the Coyotes when he first made the jump.

• Cheers 1