The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An Immigration Scheme Steering Newcomers Into The Trucking Industry

-DLC-

The moving industry is another that needs to be looked at...workers brought over and then expected (forced) to work loooong hours, often without any regard for safety of them or others.

Maybe the robots are a good thing?  Until some start finding ways to steal their parts or do something to compromise that end of things too.  Greed in this world seems to ruin everything.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The moving industry is another that needs to be looked at...workers brought over and then expected (forced) to work loooong hours, often without any regard for safety of them or others.

Maybe the robots are a good thing?  Until some start finding ways to steal their parts or do something to compromise that end of things too.  Greed in this world seems to ruin everything.

I work in an industry where we deal with foreign truck drivers all the time. You are right, it is scary what has been going on! I have lots of stories of these types of drivers hitting the ditch and getting stuck on the side of the highway, happens several times each year. And a lot of them don't even know how to back up their own rig safely. We call them "forward" drivers because that's all they know what to do is drive the truck forward. When they get to sites where they have to back into a spot usually they need lots of help getting into the spot and sometimes someone else gets in the truck to back it up. I'm glad they are digging into this because truckers used to be the BEST drivers on the road. My dad drove trucks his entire life as well and he's ashamed at where things are now.

I'm in no way slagging foreign workers for trying to make a living in Canada, but the companies involved need to be cracked down on and hard before another Humbolt tragedy happens again :sadno:

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

It seems that every race, creed and color has no regard for their own kind and being new to a country you expect that your own people won't take advantage of you, but greed and money have made morals a thing of the past. This is very unfortunate and we have to start looking after and being a little more kind to everyone on this little blue planet 3rd from the sun.

I have worked with everyone from different races and from all over the world and have no problems with anybody, and respect people that work hard to do what is right for their families and society in general. It will make this world a much better place if we tax everyone accordingly to share the wealth to give everyone a chance at a good life for all.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Isn’t berry picking really bad too?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

We call them "forward" drivers because that's all they know what to do is drive the truck forward.

Yes! I witnessed this first hand while working temporarily in a warehouse. There was a driver of South Asian ethnicity who literally spent 30 minutes trying to back up into a loading bay. I was left scratching my head wondering how in the h*ll this guy got a CDL license. I guess now I know!

This is not only frightening but absolutely criminal.

When the rules regarding TFWs and visa work apps was changed back in 2012 a LOT of people were sounding the alarm over just these incidents, but it goes back so much farther than that.

How absolutely frightening

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

We've touched on this issue in the tragic Humboldt thread, however, it seems this is a real "thing" and the exploitation and loopholes in the TFW program need to be closed.

I worked in a company where I saw a bit of this exploitation but, at the time, didn't really understand it.  In hindsight, it not only takes advantage of people mostly just trying to make better lives for themselves, but puts others at risk.   People lining their pockets with no regard for rules, regulations, safety, etc.

Those who participate in this sort of thing really need to face very stiff consequences...especially when lives are lost because of it.

From The Globe & Mail

Wow what a story glad I'm out of the trucking industry 20 yrs ago but scary I live in the Cariboo and these guys are a majority of the trucks that run through my town.

Edited by Sbriggs

I've taken courses at the Justice Institute with a few folks from Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement. The maddening thing is the Province doesn't actually give them more staff and man more of the weigh scales, and do more enforcement.

The tip of the iceberg is the log books aren't usually completed. But the trucks and trailers have serious deficiencies, and they can't count how many times they had to pull trucks off the road. 

The sad part is the drivers are in such a rush they go many hours without breaks, or rest.

I often wonder if the majority of businesses aren't being safely run in many industries. All because the higher ups and the owners want to squeeze as much profit as they can.

If there's a problem, they just go bankrupt and start another company just as bad as the one that gets shut down.

5 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

We've touched on this issue in the tragic Humboldt thread, however, it seems this is a real "thing" and the exploitation and loopholes in the TFW program need to be closed.

I worked in a company where I saw a bit of this exploitation but, at the time, didn't really understand it.  In hindsight, it not only takes advantage of people mostly just trying to make better lives for themselves, but puts others at risk.   People lining their pockets with no regard for rules, regulations, safety, etc.

Those who participate in this sort of thing really need to face very stiff consequences...especially when lives are lost because of it.

you couldn't be more right Deb. This is simply lazy on Canada's part. We could easily regulate this. Companies would claim goods would cost too much but thats just not correct. 

I was driving from the north shore to burnaby earlier today and a guy very likely from one of these companies was doing about 120 km/hr in a dump truck through the tunnel just before Renfrew. If anything happened to slow traffic this idiot would have killed someone. 

I have an Indo Canadian buddy that drives part time BC -Alberta....  He told me all about this scam a few months ago..

Basically Trucking wages are so low now they can not get anyone to drive...  Welcome to BC.

Lowest paid teachers in our Country and now lowest paid truckers as well.

BC used to be such a great place to live....  Somehow we ruined it.   No wonder that kids today have had enough and are looking at their options. 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

Why are people complaining, if we go by what some of you have said in other threads in regards to immigration, this is exactly what you want. I’ve seen people in this very thread suggest deregulation so that immigrants can find jobs. Now though that you feel your own personal safety is in peril, you’ve become NIMBYs. Why was I called a racist when I said the same thing?

• Thanks 3

Doesn’t anyone know what drove the wages down, hmmm, about 25 years ago, in the first place? 

Disgusting. But say anything, bam, you’re a racist. 

The very group of people who drove wages into the dirt by installing toilets in the floors of their trucks, etc, etc are now whining about the effects of their having monopolized and rigged the game?

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I have an Indo Canadian buddy that drives part time BC -Alberta....  He told me all about this scam a few months ago..

Basically Trucking wages are so low now they can not get anyone to drive...  Welcome to BC.

Lowest paid teachers in our Country and now lowest paid truckers as well.

BC used to be such a great place to live....  Somehow we ruined it.   No wonder that kids today have had enough and are looking at their options. 

This is not news it has been going on in the trucking industry for at least 30 years now...there is a reason it is all east indian controlled.

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Doesn’t anyone know what drove the wages down, hmmm, about 25 years ago, in the first place? 

The very group of people who drove wages into the dirt by installing toilets in the floors of their trucks, etc, etc are now whining about the effects of their having monopolized and rigged the game?

Yup.

NAFTA.  More importantly.  Conservatives in Canada.  Most recently Jason Kenneys TFW bill hidden in the former conservative government's last Omnibus bill.  The irony is amusing when you think about it.  It's like the same people creating the issue are complaining the loudest about it.

This does not excuse any other government for not stopping it but I do enjoy the irony of it all

• Cheers 1

It's a big problem in the East Indian community as a whole. Business owners here are taking advantage of all the temporary and students coming here from overseas who don't know the rules/rely on work to stay afloat. The truck owner operators, the banquet halls, restaurants, trades, etc all are paying these people below standard wages. Need to bring in some accountability and rule changes/education so these people stop getting taken advantage of.

On 10/6/2019 at 2:26 AM, canuckster19 said:

Why are people complaining, if we go by what some of you have said in other threads in regards to immigration, this is exactly what you want. I’ve seen people in this very thread suggest deregulation so that immigrants can find jobs. Now though that you feel your own personal safety is in peril, you’ve become NIMBYs. Why was I called a racist when I said the same thing?

Pretty much why there is many on cdc that's its impossible to take serious.

21 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Bingo.

19 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Yup.

NAFTA.  More importantly.  Conservatives in Canada.  Most recently Jason Kenneys TFW bill hidden in the former conservative government's last Omnibus bill.  The irony is amusing when you think about it.  It's like the same people creating the issue are complaining the loudest about it.

This does not excuse any other government for not stopping it but I do enjoy the irony of it all

NAFTA? Was signed by Chretien. 

The amusing irony is exactly why I quoted the other two..

They're absolutely right!!

• Upvote 1

I am in the logistical game and I just laugh when we get weekly reports of damaged freight.  In one case we loaded top heavy goods, not only did it get damaged before it got to their own yard the driver clipped my truck and took out my side mirror exiting our facility.

• Cheers 1