The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Detroit Red Wings at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 15, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

I always watch 30 mins behind to avoid the commercials or I record every Canucks game. I’ve done this for years now. This was the first time where I didn’t fast forward to the next goal anticipating/fearing a blowout loss since about the 2011 cup run. I knew we could come back against the Red Wings and because I’ve seen the fight in our team to come back when down I almost expected us to come back. It feels like no lead is insurmountable, that every game is winnable and I can’t wait for the rest of this season. Win or lose, this is a different team and us fans are to benefit regardless of the scoresheet.

GCG!

P.S. Let’s beat St Louis and make it 4 in a row. I’ll be watching and cheering! :towel:

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, spliced said:

I was nervous with how the game started but the Nucks settled in and played a really strong game.

Enjoyed Motte's return to the line up.

I'm still not really sure why that game got so testy, it just sort of sprang up out of nowhere.

It started because Manthers line got hemmed in and got frustrated.

• Like 1

def feel nux have much improved grit and size, not just on paper.   4th line was a difference.   Back end is solid.  Myers and Benn all add some grit.  Edler is playing like a beast.  Wait when Ferland gets his mojo back, and then Rousell returns.  

Blues will be a good test vs a heavy team.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, lmm said:

I am not here to defend Detroit. they played one good shift and then lost the rest of the game, but Schaller, clean or not, took a run at their best player. and Detroit reacted exactly like we wanted last year and the year before and the year before that. And for a change our team stood up for themselves. Good on them.

Just because the game got a little testy does not mean we need to cry wolf.

good night.

Wings didn’t want any part of taking on the much bigger, and tougher Canucks.  

Really solid game.  

I think the amazing thing about Miller and Quinn are the little plays they make at the blue line to keep the puck in and keep possession.  A lot of these plays don't earn points but just make the plays and get more chances.

Pettey is such a good player that when he looks off he still puts up three points.  In the first period he looked way off with issues that have been there every game.  He just looks imprecise.  His passes are in the feet and shots going high or wide.  I wonder if the change in skate blade profile has him a little off balance.  You can see the vision and the smarts but he doesn't have the precision that marked his game last year.  He will get it, he is just too good and too smart a player and just seems to slow the game down in his head.  Love to see a guy get three points in a win and be upset with himself.  That is a constant drive to improve and will continue to rub off on the team.

The D looks so much better balanced this year.  Quinn is just so slick and smart.  Not blindingly fast but greasy and again so smart.

Good start to the year, hopefully we don't fade once the grind gets going and teams settle into their systems.

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It started because Manthers line got hemmed in and got frustrated.

I thought it was because they couldn't convert on the 5 on 3 and then twice Sutter made solid defensive plays to finish out their PP and yes Mantha likely was frustrated. Likely Sutter chirped him too to get the reaction and then things boiled over from there.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Having Myers has really let Edler play the way he did with Ehrhoff back in 2011. Killer on the PP, plays physical, argument for top-10 defenceman in the league right now the way he's playing at both ends.

Pettersson quietly racking up the points and Miller obviously having a huge impact, not to mention the 3rd and 4th lines chipping in.

This is how you play a full team game from top to bottom. PP and stars score, gritty guys do their job, D chips in, PK steps up and Demko plays well. Green must be particularly happy, this was a well coached well executed game.

Leivo....can’t...finish.   Could have had two or three goals - at some point maybe it’s time to move on from this experiment.  His line got scored on and didn’t add any offense - aside from that I really like way TG is managing the lines.   AG or not, Sutters line seems to be engaged and producing ... that is huge for us.  We’ve benched LE enough and demoted other fringe/suspect guys - when Roussel comes back who’s out?  Management basically said there is a trade in the works - the only way this makes sense to me  is if they are trying to raise someone’s stock.   Still one too many forwards.  Nice to have guys that played on the first and second line last year as our depth call-ups.

Other then this, what a great game - and Horvat is 3-0 since becoming the Captain...felt we should have won the first game - McDavid beat us - Calgary was a close game, goalie beat us.   Really aside from Levio’s questionable useage - things are going great.  Miller is starting to look like the stick that’s stirs the drink on the PP - love how he predicts when to move to take a pass then right back infront screening the goalie, he might be the second best passer on the team ... and given how he’s been used - the guy that’s stirring the drink for the entire offense.   63% chance a first rounder plays 200 games...safe odds JB made a great decision.

Again, I'm not going to read all 16 pages, but my first impression is that we saw a Canucks team that controlled the game from the outset. Not something we're used to and it feels pretty good.

Bernier was just okay, but it's hard to fault him on any of the goals....meanwhile, Demko looked really good. Terrific job of finding the puck through traffic, or just making himself big when he couldn't. Much better at keeping his balance after the first shot and being ready for the rebound than I recall from last season. It's only one game, but it's encouraging...

From the crease out, it's hard to find anything to be critical about. I know Leivo will have his usual detractors, but I doubt it will matter how he plays for the time being....until he scores, he's going to suck in the eyes of some fans.

As for the Wings, Anthony Mantha looks really good. I also kind of wish we had that guy with the Greek last name. (not going to attempt that spelling) Kid can fly...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rychicken said:

I watched the game backwards - can't believe we lost the shutout in the final minute....

Yeah....you could see that the Canucks were so upset, they pulled their entire team off the ice afterward.....

.....but for some reason, both teams skated around in circles in their own ends for ten minutes first...:huh:

• Haha 2