The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Gudbranson butterfly effect

Rate this topic

Kosmo Kramer

The way that I see it is that we paid a steep price at the time for a young, big, supposedly physical D that we sorely needed.  He did not pan out, it happens.  We then flipped him for a player that is producing at a similar level of the guy we gave up.  We took a risk that backfired, but ended up in a similar spot that we would have been if we had done nothing.  I'm good with that.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

McCann's advanced stats were also good here. Really good ES player at the NHL level relative to deployment. Loved when we picked him, always thought he was better than Jake.

I’ll take Jake over Jarred anytime. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Are you referring to the " it is what it is" comment or is there more to the story?

I don't think Pittsburgh fans are saying he had poor character. 

Kind of voided your own comment here.

Here is the article that includes the comments from Pedan, Bartkowski's Mom and Daniel Sedin:

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jared-mccann-acted-like-lonely-star-says-andrey-pedan-1.2266811

The Canucks would have been better off keeping McCann and the pick. However, Pearson finding his game in Vancouver again definitely takes the sting out of that. 

So from an objective standpoint, things could be better for the Canucks but I'm not complaining with how it turned out.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Here is the article that includes the comments from Pedan, Bartkowski's Mom and Daniel Sedin:

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/jared-mccann-acted-like-lonely-star-says-andrey-pedan-1.2266811

The headline says it all:

Jared McCann acted like 'lonely star', says Andrey Pedan

(or, why trading a 19-year-old because of character issues is pretty silly)

Honestly I don't really care about Pedan's character evaluation.  When Jake and Jared were on the team they were probably the youngest by about 4 or 5 years, only other player around thier would've been Bo who probably was pretty grounded and probably kept a low profile when on the road.  We can argue about Tyrion Pearson's role with the team but giving up on McCann that early was pretty foolish imo.  What's done is done.

• Upvote 1

To me Ryan Kesler was the epitome of an American Prima Dona.

It was always about him not what was best for the team.He was a warrior ,no doubt,but still a prima dona.

I'm very glad that Mr. Benning knows how to draft,even when we have gotten shafted an unprecedented four years in a row, we still have come away with some good young players,because for years our drafting was,in a nutshell TRAGIC.

We can always go what if etc.on some of our choices,and with a bit of luck this is what can build Championship Teams.

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

The headline says it all:

Jared McCann acted like 'lonely star', says Andrey Pedan

(or, why trading a 19-year-old because of character issues is pretty silly)

Honestly I don't really care about Pedan's character evaluation.  When Jake and Jared were on the team they were probably the youngest by about 4 or 5 years, only other player around thier would've been Bo who probably was pretty grounded and probably kept a low profile when on the road.  We can argue about Tyrion Pearson's role with the team but giving up on McCann that early was pretty foolish imo.  What's done is done.

Well it wasn't just Pedan that commented.  Daniel Sedin uncharacteristically commented as well.  Without knowing the details surrounding the comments it's difficult to understand the actual issues or who/what may have been the problem.  Sometimes the ultimate decision and actions taken reflect the cause or issue.  Maybe they didn't give up on McCann but rather decided it best to move on based on the circumstances.

Anyways it could be worse than Pearson as a result - so far.

Edited by Borvat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Well it wasn't just Pedan that commented.  Daniel Sedin uncharacteristically commented as well.  Without knowing the details surrounding the comments it's difficult to understand the actual issues or who/what may have been the problem.  Sometimes the ultimate decision and actions taken reflect the cause or issue.    

Anyways it could be worse than Pearson as a result - so far.

One of the mothers commented about McCann’s attitude too.  It’s a team game.  McCann was (could still be) a me first guy.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I’d rather imagine we had MT and Ehlers, but sure. 

Me too.  But then again, if we had those 2 players...would we still have Pete and Quinn?

As the much maligned Jared McCaan would say, "It's what it is".

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Seemed like a decent analysis at first. 

What makes you say Rasmus Asplund wont make the NHL? 75 games 10 goals, 41 points in the AHL last year as a 21 years old. If Juolevi had those stats people on here would hype through the roof. 

Juolevi is a Dman not a center so hard to compare the stat line.

I really don't know anything about Asplund, so just sheer lack of knowledge. 

Looked at the stat lines to provide information and he didn't jump out at me as a big scorer.  Learned he is a hard working bottom 6 projected type player.

7 hours ago, Lancaster said:

To be fair, he was 18 years old at the time.  

A young guy suddenly becoming a celebrity in a Canadian city via being an NHL player, with loads of cash, and probably young ladies flocking to be around him.  

Seems more like, he just needs time to mature rather than him being a cancer to a locker room.  

To be fair I think the real problem is McCann & JV should have been sent back to Jr (I think they were too young to go the AHL) ... they weren't ready for the NHL & both of their developments suffered ... the best choice would have been to send them to the AHL but I don't think that was an option.