The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

Just now, Alflives said:

I’m no expert, but don’t most women like having their own bathroom?  Guys are kind of pigs, right?  There is equality and then stupidity.  Women should have their own washrooms.  Men and women are different, and there’s nothing wrong with that.  

Yea women need their own space because men $hit and piss everywhere!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's interesting how divisive this charlatan is( +'s & -'s abound)..but at least the bully pulpit has finally been smashed. Progress for a day.

Cherry has always been polarizing but his love for hockey (especially juniors - one or his favorite pass times is catching a game with his son) and Canada is undeniable.   Yes he’s offended people on the way - but my guess is he’s offended people that don’t like people offending people a lot more then the actual targets off his rant including this one.  

Early he was mostly on the hot seat for calling out  Europeans - soft - whatever -  but his agenda was clear as day - he wanted the jobs to be given to Canadians, especially the third and fourth liners.   He loved Bure - who usually sought him out after games to say hi.  He’s also been very vocal about a lot of topics over the years that needed attention - from a small town Canadian story, to cancer, to equipment, dirty plays - head shots etc.  Cherry has done his best from his viewpoint and freedom of speech to help hockey and Canada in general.   People get offended sometimes but really - so what - it’s just a game and the way he wants to use his influence is coming from a place that’s genuine and caring.   He had a point too even if it was somewhat misdirected.

85 and still working.  I’m glad he’s retired , he’s a memorable character and hockey night in Canada won’t ever be the same.  Give the guy a little respect - he’s definitely earned it even if you don’t agree with him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

I don’t know about the first part, but the second part is pretty much true.  I think if women got to vote on having their own washrooms, they would vote yes.  

33 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Worked at a restaurant when I was 18/19, one of my pre open jobs was cleaning the bathroom. Women's bathroom was frequently way more disgusting than the men's. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

Yeah I mean we're all very damn comfortable.

Canada is a great country and I think everyone should participate in Remembrance Day.

That includes immigrants.

But, we're also free to not do so.

Cherry should not have been fired, our society is trending in the wrong direction if opinions are going to ruin careers.

Wrong opinion in the wrong format, if it were my employee he'd be fired on the spot whether I agree with him or not, I think you miss the point

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Even after WWII, France was unwilling to give up their colonies in Indochina.  A country that surrendered to Nazis in less than a month, still felt they were superior to Asians. 

OT - Often overlooked was that Ho Chi Minh quoted Thomas Jefferson in his declaration of independance of Vietnam.

Now after untold devastation 'both sides' routinely have shared defense exercises (not to mention ever closening ties).  What a terrible waste of lives (that police action).

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Cherry has always been polarizing but his love for hockey (especially juniors - one or his favorite pass times is catching a game with his son) and Canada is undeniable.   Yes he’s offended people on the way - but my guess is he’s offended people that don’t like people offending people a lot more then the actual targets off his rant including this one.  

Early he was mostly on the hot seat for calling out  Europeans - soft - whatever -  but his agenda was clear as day - he wanted the jobs to be given to Canadians, especially the third and fourth liners.   He loved Bure - who usually sought him out after games to say hi.  He’s also been very vocal about a lot of topics over the years that needed attention - from a small town Canadian story, to cancer, to equipment, dirty plays - head shots etc.  Cherry has done his best from his viewpoint and freedom of speech to help hockey and Canada in general.   People get offended sometimes but really - so what - it’s just a game and the way he wants to use his influence is coming from a place that’s genuine and caring.   He had a point too even if it was somewhat misdirected.

85 and still working.  I’m glad he’s retired , he’s a memorable character and hockey night in Canada won’t ever be the same.  Give the guy a little respect - he’s definitely earned it even if you don’t agree with him. 

Didn’t Don espouse openly his love for Kadri?  Kadri is a Muslim, yet Don was kissing him on TV.  Don loves hockey, and he loves Canada.  More of us need to do more than just wear a poppy a couple weeks of the year.  For those who are saying Cherry is a racist maybe they should go and take care of a deceased service man or woman’s grave?  

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

My views on him have changed a lot over the yrs. In my youth, it all passed as entertainment..somewhere along the way, many of his views became quite offensive. Stopped listening quite a few yrs back.

I'd imagine many in my demographic have a similar outlook on such kinds of personalities. But to each, their own.

One has to decide for themselves, who deserves respect/admiration, or scorn. That's a subjective, personal matter, linked to one's values, principles, etc...

Just now, Toyotasfan said:

I hope Ron Maclean is not part of Coaches corner going forward.

Brian Burke and Kevin Bieksa would be great.

Yes, agreed.  Ron seems like a turd.  Time for him to go as well...  clean house.   Bieksa would be great. 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

But if he singled out the typical honky he wouldn't have received the same treatment. It's the usual race based double standard. 

But he didn't single out honky's, and I think you miss the point, its not as much what he said as it is about where he said it, Rogers takes money from people Cherry offended, whether you think its offensive or not, and pays Cherry his salary. Cherry was not there to give his opinion on anything other then Hockey and when he chooses to go outside the box, like he does often, he opens the door to be diciplined if what he says is not acceptable by Rogers standards. Period.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t Don espouse openly his love for Kadri?  Kadri is a Muslim, yet Don was kissing him on TV.  Don loves hockey, and he loves Canada.  More of us need to do more than just wear a poppy a couple weeks of the year.  For those who are saying Cherry is a racist maybe they should go and take care of a deceased service man or woman’s grave?  

Was there a Laff player he didn’t like?  

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Many slacked jawed posters on here who do not measure up. Progressives have been out to get Cherry for years and have finally succeeded. Yup, Don was calling out only the immigrants of colour don't you know. The idea that immigrants, oh and other Canadians, since he called them out as well, might be better informed of the sacrifice that our forebearers made for this country is out of line. I think it was Alf who called it SJW BS and he was so right. 

Don Cherry is a Canadian patriot and calls out people in his own frank way. He was more often right than wrong. He was upset, as all Canadians should be upset by the fact that remembering the fallen is fading. Not gracefully by the posts of many on here. Shame on those who take glee.

What a sleeze Ron MacLean truly is. He could spend some of his self important credibility and possibly try and explain where Don Cherry was coming from. Instead he threw him under the bus and likely didn't look back. Anyone who has spent time with vets will likely have heard of some of what Cherry was saying. MacLean and his beer sponsors might have made an effort to inform or given Cherry the opportunity  to explain. I never liked MacLean when he tried to drive Alex Burrows from hockey. He was exposed then and now he has done the same thing to Don Cherry. A sad day for hockey, and November 11th. Canada has dropped another notch. I don't watch CBC and now add SNet.        

I think it was Brian Williams, back in the 80’s, who was going to be let go by CBC for saying something on air.  At the time Williams was fighting with Cherry about some topic of contention between the two as well.  Cherry told CBC that if Williams was fired, he was quitting.  He phoned Williams and let him know he’d do all he could to help him.  Ron McLean has no loyalty.  One would think he would have learned, at least that much, from working all those years with Cherry.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1