The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Canucks vs. Blackhawks | January 2nd, 2020! | 7:00pm PT, SNP | Decade vs. Decade

Rate this topic

Roberts

Vancouver Canucks vs. Chicago Blackhawks  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the game?

• Vancouver Canucks
    • Chicago Blackhawks
  2. 2. How many goals will the Vancouver Canucks score?

• 0 goals
    • 1-2 goals
    • 3-4 goals
    • 5+ goals
  3. 3. How many goals will the Chicago Blackhawks score?

• 0 goals
    • 1-2 goals
    • 3-4 goals
    • 5+ goals

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/2020 at 03:00 AM

1 hour ago, ruegger said:

I remember that hit like it was yesterday. Willie practically destroyed Toews!

That hit is 100% ILLEGAL in today's NHL... probably for a good reason.

Why is it illegal? Honest question as i don't really know what's allowed and what's not. Looks like a blindside hit, is that why?

45 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Drinking El Jimador in Cozumel and I didn’t think that my day could get any better until I saw this.

Well done, good fellow well met, well done.

They have good Tequila there you know, you don’t have to drink that swill. In fact there’s actually a Cabo Wabo distillery right in Cozumel. El Jimador is like going to Italy and drinking Jackson Triggs wine in a box .

• Cheers 4

2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

They have good Tequila there you know, you don’t have to drink that swill. In fact there’s actually a Cabo Wabo distillery right in Cozumel. El Jimador is like going to Italy and drinking Jackson Triggs wine in a box .

Thanks man. I’m learning by denial and error. Silly me, I blew my travel budget scuba diving here. 
I’ll settle for drinking cheap tequila of that what it takes. :P

Edited by PistolPete13
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, ruegger said:

I remember that hit like it was yesterday. Willie practically destroyed Toews!

That hit is 100% ILLEGAL in today's NHL... probably for a good reason.

Shoulder to shoulder. I’m sure Mitchell felt bad after the hit but it was clean. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I find a lot of fans overlook how outstanding that team was.  So many players were in their prime and there was a terrific balance of skill, tenacity and physicality.  8 players with +40pt season and top points in the regular season.  They were so much fun to watch and at times, seem to win games without breaking a sweat.

The 2011 run was incredible when you think of those games on the way to the final match up.  Of course the Boston series was devastating for a variety of reasons and it had a crushing effect on the team and fans.  We all know the history, but it shouldn't take away from the fact that they truly were a great the team.

This current team is still in its formative years and has a ways to go to reach the pinnacle that the former team achieved. Reaching game 7 of the SC final; the most difficult championship to win, is a long journey that takes a tremendous effort by every player on the team.

It’s also easy to overlook just how close we are to that team!

7 players on this roster are currently on pace for 40+ points (if they stay healthy):

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Bo

Hughes

Pearson

Virtanen

On the bubble potential 40+ point players:

Leivo (out 2-3 months) 19 pts 36 games

Edler 18 pts 30 games

Gaudette 17 pts 30 games

Consistency is still an issue from night to night and more growing pains to come, but give this group (with a few upgrades here and there) a few years of seasoning with some young prospects coming in and it’ll probably look pretty close to that balanced and stacked team.

6 hours ago, NeilColville said:

Shoulder to shoulder. I’m sure Mitchell felt bad after the hit but it was clean. 

I’m sure Toews teammates who threw that suicide pass felt bad. Set him up for disaster on that play.

Laine got absolutely bodied on one of those a year or so ago.

I’m worried though, some of our guys have thrown Petey those passes this season.

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 1

11 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

That's fine.  Kind of like going to a hockey site to read about hockey and seeing a non hockey comment from a Toyota Corolla Basketball fan (why not the Supras ha ha).  Oh the irony and hypocrisy.  I reserve my snobbery to hockey trivia and like to do the exact same thing on here but on that subject (correct people ha ha)- no promises but will try and tone it down as a resolution as I'm sure it can be annoying.  

At least Canada WJ is on now ... waiting since last decade to see the Canucks continue their winning streak has made me grouchy, no hard feelings.   Tequila and wine - well they are alright too, carry on Toyota fan. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

12 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Drinking El Jimador in Cozumel and I didn’t think that my day could get any better until I saw this.

Well done, good fellow well met, well done.

Jimador is not Taquila. It is gasoline.

Go to Europa in town and look for Don Fulano. I know the owner. He has his distillery between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara.

It is pretty good. Gets away from the more traditional tastes and has a good modern taste.

• Cheers 1

On January 1, 2020 at 10:10 AM, Gawdzukes said:

For those youngsters that don't know how the Hawks rose to power, previous to their fall from grace.

Bill Wirtz was the owner/President of the Blackhawks for 41 years. He was an ahole and a rich one too. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer founder of America type guy. and the first guy that introduced home blackouts. According to Wilkipedia, "As Wirtz explained it, broadcasting regular-season home games was unfair to season-ticket holders.[5] 

Wirtz (via his stake in the Wirtz Corporation) was most notable as owner of the Chicago Blackhawks; Wirtz Realty, a large real estate owner in Chicago; and Judge & Dolph Ltd., a major liquor distributor selling over 33 percent of all liquor in Illinois. Wirtz Corp. also has interests in banking and insurance, and co-owned the United Center with Jerry Reinsdorf. Crain's Chicago Business in 2004 estimated the company's 2003 revenues as US$1.3 billion. Overall, it is estimated that Bill Wirtz's personal holdings (including stock in several companies, including Alberto-Culver and Firstar Bank) were worth about US$3 to $4 billion.

I'll let you draw the conclusions.,

As I remember it in the 90's the Hawks vs the wings was a spectacle to behold, Probert at his best, Joey tough guy Kocur ... trust me he's tough .... Stu Grimson (The Grim Reaper), and Mike Peluso were absolutely insane. Throw in Yzerman, Fedorov, Larmer, Roenick (Kesler on steroids) It was beautiful. Anyways ... on to the recorded history of the Blackhawks from hockey db

image.png.ac5737909666848f576fae69270b5d1a.png

Especially notice the sucking from 1995 - 2006 ... this was in a day where there were no loser points and only 22 teams as of 1991. They had a deadly team in the early 90's and then Wild Bill got weird and started hoarding his money starting with the Blackhawks, they tire-fired for the next 13 years until he died in 2007 from fcancer. 

"His son Peter Wirtz was named the new owner of the Blackhawks the following day; Peter Wirtz eventually passed responsibility to his brother Rocky  During a tribute and moment of silence for Bill Wirtz during the Blackhawks' home opener on October 6, 2007, the crowd booed the proceedings.[13][14] "Wikipedia""

So, after years and years of sucking they drafted Keith, Seabrook, Toews, Kane, Bufuglien, Burish, Brouwer, Jalmarsson, Crawford, Bolland, Bickell and won a couple cups. NOW THAT'S A TANK!!!!!!

Unfortunately for the tank/draft pick crowd that $&!# doesn't fly in Canada. There is no way we're going to purposely fail like the Hawks for 13 years. It was part of Wirth's philosophy, he tightened up the purse strings as he got older like any Billionaire would do.

Side note: I once had a staring contest with Doug Gilmour in the bowels of GM place. He was such a cool douche. 5'8, black leather jacket, and two 6 ft blonde models flanking his side. EDIT: This happened.

Yep, you guessed er. I'm drunk!

Go Canucks Go!!!  :canucks:

I wouldn't say the Hawks tanked...over the years that team like you pointed out was run down to the ground and they did a great job rebuilding. 

Those players you listed iirc Kane and Toews are the only first round picks...also the year patty Kane was first overall a lot of people didn't think he had the size , so I don't think they tanked , look at the leafs and s Buffalo....I don't remember them trading away players to lose games. 

Did they rebuild and now retool yes but I can't remember a time when they tanked...they sucked but all rebuilding teams suck. Tank is such an ugly word ha 

ive hated the Hawks well since our rivalry started but I've always respected them. 

Great story ha so did you try to pick up one of the blondes?

also your post got me thinking its to bad now that the Hawks didn't trade seabrook and their pick to us , now that seabrook will be out for awhile and might not even come back.....

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, J-23 said:

I’m sure Toews teammates who threw that suicide pass felt bad. Set him up for disaster on that play.

Laine got absolutely bodied on one of those a year or so ago.

I’m worried though, some of our guys have thrown Petey those passes this season.

Lucky for us there's only a handful of players that will make hits like that in today's nhl. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, NeilColville said:

I remember hearing from the announcers that he called Toews after to apologize for the concussion. I don't think there was any animosity. 

6 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

It’s also easy to overlook just how close we are to that team!

7 players on this roster are currently on pace for 40+ points (if they stay healthy):

Pettersson

Boeser

Miller

Bo

Hughes

Pearson

Virtanen

On the bubble potential 40+ point players:

Leivo (out 2-3 months) 19 pts 36 games

Edler 18 pts 30 games

Gaudette 17 pts 30 games

Consistency is still an issue from night to night and more growing pains to come, but give this group (with a few upgrades here and there) a few years of seasoning with some young prospects coming in and it’ll probably look pretty close to that balanced and stacked team.

That 2011 team had a Selke winner on it.  We don’t have anybody remotely close to winning that.......yet.  It’s also about preventing goals.  We can score goals.  It’s holding the lead that is still a work in process (can’t expect Marky to be channeling Johnny Bower every night)

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan