The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Need DiPietro due to expansion draft.

Not necessarily. We can re sign Markstrom, see how he and Demko play next year then make a decision which goalie to expose. If Marky gets a NMC then that decision is already made unless be pay Seattle not to take Demko.

I am be in the minority but I say we sell highish on Dipietro now or in the summer. Personally don't think his size will translate into a #1G in the NHL

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This cap situation is coming home to roost. Offering Juolevi to get out from under Baertschi... not even Sutter or Eriksson... Baertschi. Our 3rd worst contract (Myers aside).

There is no point to give up OJ to move 1 more year of Sven's contract imo. I sure hope we don't flip a former #5 overall pick as a throw in for saving us 3ish M for 1 season

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Not necessarily. We can re sign Markstrom, see how he and Demko play next year then make a decision which goalie to expose. If Marky gets a NMC then that decision is already made unless be pay Seattle not to take Demko.

I am be in the minority but I say we sell highish on Dipietro now or in the summer. Personally don't think his size will translate into a #1G in the NHL

You are 100% correct on DiPietro, or we are just the only two that think that.  I also suggest we sell high, and use some form of sweetener for Seattle to ensure they don’t take a goalie. 

44 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This cap situation is coming home to roost. Offering Juolevi to get out from under Baertschi... not even Sutter or Eriksson... Baertschi. Our 3rd worst contract (Myers aside).

Don’t assume that even happened. 

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

You are 100% correct on DiPietro, or we are just the only two that think that.  I also suggest we sell high, and use some form of sweetener for Seattle to ensure they don’t take a goalie. 

You won't get nothing for Dipetro. Maybe Tim Schaller.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

I may be wrong of course but i can't see how they could sell high on him at all without significant NHL time.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

To be fair, just because you offer a sweetener to Seattle, doesn’t mean they accept it. In fact I don’t know that they would, depending on what goalies are available.

8 hours ago, riffraff said:

This is what happens when you don’t address team toughness properly.

even with Wayne this team is inadequate imo relative to playoff toughness. 

They’re pretty tough. They’ve been showing it.

And we have a GM that went to work when it was time to do so and got a replacement for a key role to a run by replacing Boeser with Cup winning Toffoli. I do hope that this is understood; a Cup winner on the front line.

Adding Simmonds would be like having Ferland return. But without worry of head injury........ on our side....

When this team is healthy, I believe it is a very good playoff team with as much chance of going all the way as any other team in this new NHL of parity amongst fellow organizations.

Add a Boeser return and even a Tryamkin return and the sky’s the limit for this team.

Juolevi may be good one day. But I think his status as an untested 5OA16 is currently much higher than his current value to the Canucks as his chances of making this team is now measured by the arrival of Hughes.

In New Jersey, on a rebuilding team, go for it kid. Juolevi was supposed to be part of Vancouver’s T4D but with the Myers, Benn and Fantenberg signings, the depth chart is as good as any, which still feature Tanev and Edler. 

I want one of those three first picks.

VAN

Simmonds

1st ‘20 (VAN)

NJD

Juolevi

Baërtschi

3rd ‘20 (VAN)

It’s easier to recoup a second and a third round at the draft than a 1st.

As for the 1st, it’s a second chance for Benning at redeeming an early lost pick and turn it into another Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin type of player.

Edited by Me_

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

They’re pretty tough. They’ve been showing it.

And we have a GM that went to work when it was time to do so and got a replacement for a key role to a run by replacing Boeser with Cup winning Toffoli. I do hope that this is understood; a Cup winner on the front line.

Adding Simmonds would be like having Ferland return. But without worry of head injury........ on our side....

When this team is healthy, I believe it is a very good playoff team with as much chance of going all the way as any other team in this new NHL of parity amongst fellow organizations.

Add a Boeser return and even a Tryamkin return and the sky’s the limit for this team.

Juolevi may be good one day. But I think his status as an untested 5OA16 is currently much higher than his current value to the Canucks as his chances of making this team is now measured by the arrival of Hughes.

In New Jersey, on a rebuilding team, go for it kid. Juolevi was supposed to be part of Vancouver’s T4D but with the Myers, Benn and Fantenberg signings, the depth chart is as good as any, which still feature Tanev and Edler. 

I want one of those three first picks.

VAN

Simmonds

1st ‘20 (VAN)

NJD

Juolevi

Baërtschi

3rd ‘20 (VAN)

It’s easier to recoup a second and a third round at the draft than a 1st.

As for the 1st, it’s a second chance for Benning at redeeming an early lost pick and turn it into another Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin type of player.

Why does NJD trade a potential lotto pick?

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Why does NJD trade a potential lotto pick?

I believe he's suggesting we'd get back our (late) pick (from Miller trade) that TBL sent to NJD in their recent trade.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Since when are we attacking Myers now?

Can we stop that?

Thanks.

14 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

His size? Lol he is 6'0 not 5'3. Yes average NHL goalie is 6'2" but c'mon...Halak and Khudobin are both 5'11" and in the top 5 in GGA right now. 

Also, last year's cup winning goalie...6'1. 

Nice! You are correct...don't get me started on goalie size! DiPietro is turning into a great 1A/1B goalie and that's his current projection right now...he could be even better than that. His mental approach to the game and the heart he shows wins his team mates over. I'd have him challenging my starting goalie on my roster any day. The kid gets it. I hope we keep him around.

If you look at past stanley cup winning teams. Most of the starting goalies going all the way back to the 90's are 6'2" and under. Matt Murray is the excecption at 6'4"...but he won those cups with Fleury (6'2")... Fleury has been to the finals since he left Pitts, but Murray has not been able to push his team further. Look this year, Tristan Jarry's emergence for them...Jarry...6'2"...and has 20 wins and 8 losses, basically pushing Murray out of the net.

I had a bet last year with a buddy, he asked me who I wanted to win the cup...I wasn't sure...so I asked him which team has the smallest starting goalie. He checked, said Rask was 6'3" and Binnington was 6'1"...so I said, Blues will win it. Small goalies win cups...lol

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Nice! You are correct...don't get me started on goalie size! DiPietro is turning into a great 1A/1B goalie and that's his current projection right now...he could be even better than that. His mental approach to the game and the heart he shows wins his team mates over. I'd have him challenging my starting goalie on my roster any day. The kid gets it. I hope we keep him around.

If you look at past stanley cup winning teams. Most of the starting goalies going all the way back to the 90's are 6'2" and under. Matt Murray is the excecption at 6'4"...but he won those cups with Fleury (6'2")... Fleury has been to the finals since he left Pitts, but Murray has not been able to push his team further. Look this year, Tristan Jarry's emergence for them...Jarry...6'2"...and has 20 wins and 8 losses, basically pushing Murray out of the net.

I had a bet last year with a buddy, he asked me who I wanted to win the cup...I wasn't sure...so I asked him which team has the smallest starting goalie. He checked, said Rask was 6'3" and Binnington was 6'1"...so I said, Blues will win it. Small goalies win cups...lol

Maybe we should not sign Markstrom then. Demko is the shorter goalie between the two. 

:bigblush:

54 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

I wouldn't mind trading Juolevi to get our first back from NJ as this is supposedly to be a strong draft year.  As for Simmonds, who is in the declining years of his career, and if we still want him, I would wait until he is a free agent this summer. 

I can’t imagine Juolevi has anywhere near that kind of value at this point