The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

8 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Lebrun said the Canucks had heavy interest in Simmonds last summer but he chose NJ instead (probs the money) and wondered if Simmonds wished he had Vancouver instead. sounded like he was our target last Summer and Ferland was the backup plan. 

Rick Dhaliwal actually reported the opposite. He said Jim made a call to Simmonds' agent, but no offer was made. He went onto say they were interested in both Simmonds and Ferland but went with Ferland because he was cheaper and younger. He also said Benning has been a big Simmonds fan since his days im Boston when his Bruins would play the Flyers. 

I'd take Rick's word over Lebrun, especially in this market.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Rick Dhaliwal actually reported the opposite. He said Jim made a call to Simmonds' agent, but no offer was made. He went onto say they were interested in both Simmonds and Ferland but went with Ferland because he was cheaper and younger. He also said Benning has been a big Simmonds fan since his days im Boston when his Bruins would play the Flyers. 

I'd take Rick's word over Lebrun, especially in this market.

And Furley can still skate really good.  Simmons isn’t the skater he used to be.  Still, if Furley is done fir this year, JB should get Simmons. 

• Cheers 2

On 2/7/2020 at 12:16 PM, Me_ said:

We don’t need to overhaul the team.

Tryamkin is probably coming back in April. Check on trading for a D.

Ferland is coming back soon. This is the type of player team would trade for at that time. Yet another forward we don’t have to trade for.

Goaltending is ace. 

So really, it would have to be a deal that makes our team much better. The Canucks don’t need a deal just to make a deal. There is no pressure on this GM who is about to deliver on the sudden summertime demands of making the playoffs this year.

Thanks. Was a pretty lighthearted(or headed?), apparently uninspired idea, as I was heading out yest. I don't see enough youth at play(no college, jr games) only hiltes/giffs. Probably will mostly stick with pros in future proposals

2 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Where did you get that? Dude was born in Ontario. 

Family definitely spent some time in BC as per his brother.  Absolutely love the way he plays though; would be pumped if we made a hockey trade with a forward prospect and got him.

Edited by King Heffy

We have to stop getting these half tough guys (Roussel; Ferland; Benn etc), Simonds is even worse at like 185 pounds..wth.....just go get a legit one like Reeves or Deslauriers and the rest of our team can be softies like they are.  New NHL or the old NHL, these half tough guys half decent players thing is not working.   

Edited by Dogcrazy
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pears said:

How much more would they get for Simmonds? Realistically. 

Realistically they’d be better off letting him walk for free than taking on 2 more seasons of Ericksson at $6m. So it’s not a question of how much more they’d get. It’s how much more would the Canucks give to dump that contract. 

Only way i see this happening is if Sutter is going the other way, with a Lockwood type prospect and a pick. Way too many forwards for not enough spots. 

Miller - Pete - Boeser

Pearson - Bo - Leivo

Roussel - Gauds - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Simmonds

Ex. Loui "empty net" Eriksson, Schaller

I still dont think that line up is good enough to win more than a round. Missing one more game breaking forward and a rock steady dman, who is defensively responsible. 

• Wat 3

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think the assumptions of his rapid decline might be over-stated.

Obviously he's not a big guy (not a heavy guy at 185lbs) but we've all known guys whose weight means little, that are  pound for pound as strong and tough as anyoner regardless - he's one of those guys.

My only concern about him would be the amount of hard miles he's logged - but for me the thing that stands out the most for Simmonds this season is a shooting percentage of 5.1% - whereas he's a career 12.7%.  - and before leaving Philly, was 10.8% or better for a decade straight....Put him in the right situation and you might find he has a Pearson type bounceback - and the cost/risk ought to be quite low imo.

He still leads NJ forwards in penalty minutes (his numbers may not be what they were in the past, but that is a league-wide trend) - and he is second on that team with 116 hits (that would lead this team in total hits, and only a couple guys on this team hit at a higher rate).

Looking at his shooting percentage and the context of playing on an also ran - where, for example a 50 pt D like Subban has 12 pts....I'm not assuming that Simmonds himself has necessarily just fallen off.  New Jersey is simply a very poor 'possession' team - with a number of notable guys 'underproducing' significantly.

Also - it may seem absurd to be shopping for forwards on a team that looked  like it could enter the season waiving guys like Eriksson and Schaller - but the reality has been the typical M.A.S.H. thing - Sutter, Beagle, Motte, Ferland, Roussel, Leivo...

And presently they have their two most physical wingers - Motte and Ferland out - Motte with a shoulder injury that will be a month (hopefully he's back), Ferland a real question mark.

Motte had 79 hits in 24 games (the team misses him badly - that forecheck, the puck hounding, that very hard to play against element that complements Beagle so well) - and Ferland, in spite of never being 100%, still had 40 hits in 14 games.  I think they could use more physicality beyond Virtanen and Miller....particularly if the playoffs remain a possibility.

Simmonds could be a low cost 'meh' - or he could be an excellent risk to take - an expiring, relatively inconsequential contract (maybe he eats a whiff of bonus cap, but if he helped in any way to make and/or help in the playoffs...that would be a real payoff imo (and sending a late pick to Tampa for Miller would be a very nice payoff for this season as well if they can sustain).

My concern about the number and type of injuries they have had and continue to probably exceeds my concern about the asset cost, which I think should be very moderate (or you simply walk away). 

Perhaps even double this deal up - send Benn the other way and take an expiring Andy Greene rental if the Fantenburg injury is problematic....Greene would give them a serious 1-2 LHD pk and shutdown punch - mobile, can move the puck, can kill penalties and eat minutes - would be a good complement beside a Myers imo - if the team is serious about this playoff race....Greene would be a great add, and might like the opportunity at this stage of his career to have a chance of playing postseason hockey.

You’re good. 
Loving your Simmonds argument. 
We are close but still need a couple pieces. Starting to really feel like we might slip into the post season. If we do we will need to seriously ramp up the energy and grit levels. Anyone feeling we don’t need an upgrade in that department hasn’t been watching this team since 2012. The Green proposal gets me really juiced as well. Wish it was for real. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

Simmonds would be a mistake . If they aren’t throwing a bad contract back such as sutter .

He's a pending UFA that would be a depth pick up. I don't think we're talking any serious assets here. Maybe the rights to Tryamkin or Lockwood and a 6th rounder gets it done?

5 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

I would look into khaira from Edmonton local boy, tough, and can skate .

I like him too but there's no way we're trading with Edmonton. 

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm hoping that, if signed, he brings his hard-nosed and physical game night in and night out. I have some reservations though as physical and hard-nosed players have come to this team, and seemingly had a drop in the physical aspect of their play. Not sure what to attribute it to though. Roussel looks to be the latest player to begin to act like a passenger on the team.

He might pick it up, if he sees he is not alone...