The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Just Dont Get It With Canuck Fans

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

8 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

It's fine.

Once Toffoli turns out great, those people will jump back onto the bandwagon, pretending like nothing happened lol. 

nah more like once we get bounced in the playoff and toffoli signs as a FA elsewhere.. then we'll be asking wtf did we make this trade for? coz the goal is stanley cup and this is not a realistic year

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

nah more like once we get bounced in the playoff and toffoli signs as a FA elsewhere.. then we'll be asking wtf did we make this trade for? coz the goal is stanley cup and this is not a realistic year

Without this addition, we might as well roll over and make early plans on the golf course this summer.

Let's see what the future holds. 

1 hour ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Without this addition, we might as well roll over and make early plans on the golf course this summer.

Let's see what the future holds. 

so the goal is the mortgage the future just to make the playoff? we are likely to make the playoff anyways with or without boeser. Ferland was a non factor all year.. the pacific division is absolute crap. the top team is worse than the team sitting outside the playoff in the east. we are still at least a few years away from being a cup contender.. so why thru away a promising prospect and a 2nd rounder for a rental that we are unlikely to able to re-sign? or why not save the prospects and the picks to use for something that will actually help the team in the long term like getting rid of contracts? ppl just keep on thinking loui eriksson will retire lol. if i'm being paid 3mil a year no way in hell i'm retiring even if i have to ride the bus. he literally don't even have to try on the ice and he still gets paid.

• Cheers 1

I’m with you. Believe me, I’ve met some awesome Canuck fans but I’ve also met some truly ridiculous ones too. I find it can go two ways:

There’s the ones that stick with the team through thick and thin and try to look at the positives, but aren’t afraid to be constructively critical when appropriate.

And then you have the incessant whiney fans that pick apart every little move JB makes and say he’s the worst GM ever. Even though he’s restocked an empty prospect pool, got us a very good young core that is just breaking into the NHL and making good hockey trades that will come valuable in playoff time. Every loss is all Green’s fault even though he’s done great things with This young team. 

Unfortunately, the bandwagon crew is the loudest. I try my best to just tune out the noise. 

• Cheers 1

you realize that "Canuck fans" don't have a hive mind? 

everyone has a different opinion or concern. 

For me I'm jacked I think this a great step in the right direction for the Canucks. I dont think we gave up much here a pick 50th ish overall and a 150lb potential 3c really isnt much to cry about considering the upside. Bo is the beating heart of this team we cant send him into the playoffs with no wingers. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

Hello,

Ive been a long time canucks fan all my life, and still dont get what those canuck Fans want from JIM BENNING smh. Of course we want our 1st cup in franchise history, but reading thru CDC there are fans who are actual mad about the TOFFOLI trade, like really ? Cmon ppl!

JB trading for Miller was money ! He hit a home run on that trade, and paying that high of a price for Toffoli means JB believes he can re-sign him.

I actually love the trade, this team needs the players surrounding the young core who has won cups and have experience in playoffs, I see in JBs plan that this trade does actually fill in that need for the young cores development. They need that playoff experience. In no way i think canucks are cup contenders but I do think this team has what it takes to make the playoffs. 

Yall complain about lack of movement JB is doing, and once he does something those canuck fans complain, “OH MY GOD HE TRADED OUR FUTURE MADDEN NOOO FIRE JIMBO!” , “JIMBO TRADED WAY TO MUCH FOR A RENTAL OH MY GOD THAT EFFIN IDIOT !” 

LOOK stop complaining, do you guys want to see our young players develop or not ? Like WTH is wrong you guys? this is the next step in the future of our young core.. how many prospects we need ? We have so many great prospects up and coming and they will not have a spot on the main roster when ready, which will take 2-3 years more.

Madden is going to a team where he will have a chance to play his game, he did not have room to play on the canucks and we dont know his potential in the NHL.

We still have the one of the best prospect pools in the NHL and im ok with letting Madden go.

Horvat, Petey, Gaudette will be our 3 top centers going forward.

so you see canuck fans, we have been rebuilding for too long, 5 years now, its time to stop being a hater in JB and believe what hes doing, he wants this team to succeed and by doing that he will add assets around the core to help them develop that winning culture on the team, we cant be rebuilding forever , we have all the pieces to be a dynasty team.

Stop acting like fanbases are some kind of hivemind monolith.

I'm just glad the extremist activists don't watch hockey, else we would be facing traffic blocking protests all over town after this trade, it prevents the 'working' people from getting to work and earning a paycheck that provides for their family. Arrest and fine all of those fools, even better cut them off social welfare so they wake the f up.

We just traded our 3-4th best prospect for a rental - let's call a spade a spade as another poster said.   This only makes sense in the context both BB and Leivo are out and TT is a R winger.   From a money standpoint for owner it was the right call given recently our playoff aspirations are slipping away.

Saying we won this trade or its a slam dunk is a little pre-mature though don't you think - a lot of things need to happen for that to work, most importantly making the playoffs - and maybe even more importantly how things turn out with Madden and LAs pick(s).  

When I first noticed this trade I didn't know BB was out for the season and was definitely like WTF?    We aren't contending for a cup yet.    Provided with context I'm ok with it -  but just because some fans don't agree with this doesn't mean they are wrong (again won't know until we make the playoffs) - or that they are always bashing JB.  

I've been preaching patience and liked most of his other deals including the Miller trade.   This one took balls - without all the information at first glance didn't like it at all - with BB out it makes a lot more sense.   But still we don't know yet.   Funny how quickly Madden has gone from a Hober Baker front runner to a small bum who will never make the NHL.   Won't be long before he's given some games in LA - if he plays less then 200 and we make the playoffs id consider that a fair deal.   However if he turns into his Dad...one of the worst trades in our history unless we make it to the finals.   We don't know yet.   If some fans are upset over this don't see why other should call them out on it.  Except for a few that are just trolls who woke up and found a delicious breakfast and then barfed it out all over us on the CDC.   

One things for sure we can't afford to re-sign all these guys.  JB must have something up his sleeve given his confidence about our cap issues coming up. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

So what sort of picks do the Canucks have coming up in the draft?

I think JB will be on the phones a lot the next week trying to get a few 7th rounders ha ha.   Seriously wouldn't surprise me to see one roster player go for replace the second.  Otherwise we won't be picking a guy until around the 80th spot.    Not the end of the world - just means we won't be adding anyone else new to the roster from this draft - he's happy with what he's got.  

13 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so the goal is the mortgage the future just to make the playoff? we are likely to make the playoff anyways with or without boeser. Ferland was a non factor all year.. the pacific division is absolute crap. the top team is worse than the team sitting outside the playoff in the east. we are still at least a few years away from being a cup contender.. so why thru away a promising prospect and a 2nd rounder for a rental that we are unlikely to able to re-sign? or why not save the prospects and the picks to use for something that will actually help the team in the long term like getting rid of contracts? ppl just keep on thinking loui eriksson will retire lol. if i'm being paid 3mil a year no way in hell i'm retiring even if i have to ride the bus. he literally don't even have to try on the ice and he still gets paid.

I doubt that it is gonna be easy making the playoffs (especially without Brock). As things come down to the wire, games get tough. And we obvious played a lot worse without Brock in the lineup. 

People criticized his underproduction this year but now they are starting to appreciate his game.  

Pacific division is tight. But it's not absolute crap as u put it. Teams are waking up down the stretch as the playoff spots are still kind of up for grabs. 

One point u posted that I agree. We are few years away from being contenders. 

If it's easy getting rid of bad contracts, we likely would have done it already. U know it would likely cost us draft picks for other teams to take on the contracts like LE's. 

That would be worse than getting nothing in return like Toffoli. There is no guarantee he won't re-sign with us. 

I don't exactly follow ur saying we r mortgaging our future by just giving up on an undersized player in Madden. 

Sure he will be a good NHLer someday for another team that he will fit better. 

But whether he would have fetched us better player/ pick today? Very doubtful considering the kind of deals have been made during this TDL. 

And I think playoffs experience is invaluable to this team. (More importantly, to the fans. U know there were fans that were spamming "Fire Green" even when the team was like 6th or 7th overall in the whole league right? Imagine what would happen if this team failed to make the postseason)

Not just to smoothen things out with the fans, as a young growing team, playoffs experience is very important. 

Winning culture, confidence, directive goals... Without providing those, we can't miraculously expect them to suddenly come out to being a contender from a non-playoff team. 

One thing is for sure from what Ive been seeing tho, without replacing Brock with player like Toffoli, we stood very little chance making the playoffs this year. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

We just traded our 3-4th best prospect for a rental - let's call a spade a spade as another poster said.   This only makes sense in the context both BB and Leivo are out and TT is a R winger.   From a money standpoint for owner it was the right call given recently our playoff aspirations are slipping away.

This paragraph reflects where I'm sitting with this. It is what it is.

We're competing, playing meaningful games, close to leading our division, and very much in the playoff hunt. With both Leivo and Ferland out, now Boeser, if JB didn't make that move, it would pretty much signal the end of our season. That's been the story of our last few seasons - injuries, out in Feb/March, play prospects, rinse, repeat.

At this moment in our growth, I think that's the wrong message to send. 

With the race so tight in our division, with our goal differential among the leaders, it raises the question of whether doing nothing again is fair to the players and the fans. Imo, it would be much more deflating to not bring in a guy like Toffoli when we actually have a real shot at the playoffs. 

We're not contenders but we are contending for a playoff spot. That's incredibly valuable to our growth. Just look at how tight our division is right now. We can beat anyone in the Pacific. Who knows with the conference but our young guys need playoff experience and winning to build on as they mature. They want to win. Plus we need to make good on the time we have with Miller, Myers, etc, and not waste time in some elusive waiting period.

Look at Gaudette's trajectory as a centre in relation to Madden. He'd still be 2-3 years away from cracking the roster but we'd likely have to convert him to the wing. He wouldn't have replaced Petey, Bo, or Gaudette, and he wouldn't be a fourth line centre. So, with Boeser out, we needed to give up something to maintain momentum. That's reflective of where we as a team, which is a good thing to be out of the "we have injuries, we're not there yet, so let's pack in the season now" mentality.

Also, look at the Sedin era and the waiting until we were "contenders". At the end of the day, we had one good run to the finals, and that was it. Imo, the quicker we get back into the playoffs with this new young core, the more chances we have at a few runs as we actually turn into contenders.

So, right now, the dynamics are such that we needed a rental. Either that or we throw in the towel on yet another season when we're actually competing. I don't believe we sacrificed the future as much as some believe. At least we got a good player for what we need right now.  Who knows how this will play out but it could be more positive than anyone thinks. We need to wait and see. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

What I don't understand with some of the fanbase is that they think that hoarding draft picks forever and ever will all of a sudden make us cup contenders without making the playoffs first.

Yes, prospects are currency in the NHL, we have so many players in other countries that can't crack utica yet, so losing one or two to show you believe in the team is a necessary sacrifice