The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Stecher might be on the market

HerrDrFunk

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What hurts the most is knowing guys like Marky and Tanev, who are really important, are gone because we have some players who don’t really do a lot with bad contracts.  Loui, Sutter, Baer, Beagle.  

Indeed.  You only put Lou in there once?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I usually like what Friedman has to say, but if JB trades OJ for a rental like Simmonds, he should be fired seconds after the trade is announced. If the return was Miles Wood I could see NJ asking for OJ, or OJ is part of a bigger deal.

Seeing the D getting dealt, I am all for moving Stecher and getting a 2nd or 3rd and a late pick for him. Bring up Rafferty for a showing, when Tryamkin's season is over try to bring him over to replace Stech's spot.

5 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

We don’t need to move defensemen we need add one. 

This all day long. 
Id like for us to be deep enough that Stech is battling for minutes at the 6 spot or something like that. Until you’ve played games and logged real minutes regularly in the show you can’t be counted on to step into an NHL line up on the back end and be considered NHL ready.... unless you’re Huggy. Stecher has proven himself. We can’t touch the blue line right now unless we are adding to it. 

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Initially yes. See what we've got in him. Not ready? Give Chatfield a look. Not ready? Benn and/or Fantenberg hold the fort until Tryamkin hopefully returns. Worst case scenario is Tryamkin doesn't return this season (or at all), Rafferty/Chatfield are duds, and Benn/Fantenberg look out of place on the right side (despite hearing all summer that they can play the right side). Lots would have to go wrong to make us wish we still had Stecher's 15 mins of ice time back.

With all this said, I'm perfectly fine with keeping Stecher for this playoff drive as well. But he's as good as gone next season unless he takes a pay-cut to stay.

No theo no!

we don’t have that kind of time to suss our failed experiments and auditions. We need to have 6 healthy nhl defenders down the stretch and a number 7 ready to go. It’s going to get harder to shelter weaker pairings. We can’t be taking chances in the back end right now unless it’s forced on us. I’ll take Stechers  15 minutes per game right now over and other defender in our system. If Stech goes another Defender has to be coming back. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

NJD doesn’t have to trade Simmonds to the Canucks.  As Fitzgerald was explaining it’s his choice to do what he wants as it’s their players.

This part is is absolkutely true.

2 hours ago, mll said:

If the Canucks want Simmonds they’ll have to pay the price that NJD is asking. 

This part is absolutely not. Its a market. They only get what they ask if the market will bear it.

For example there is a post a page back, believe, cough Alf, quoting a media guy saying the ask would be Juolevi?

I personally dont believe we would pay that. Or that Jersey will get any return for Simmonds if that was the ask. They wll turn bumpkus.

2 hours ago, mll said:

Zacha is not going anywhere and they still have Zajac for another year.  Also Gaudette is being sheltered and NJD is more likely to shelter Hughes.  Not really viable to have 2 lines that need protection from matchups.

In an ideal world, Jersey would still be sheltering Zacha as well.  As long as he has been in the NHL?  He is istill younger than Gaudette.  Pavel has, in more than general terms, been a dissapointment.  Has not been good enough to be that classic 2knd or 3rd line shut down centre. Not good ennouggh to be the offensive guy he was tabbed to be when drafted.  One reason Jersey is stuck in never never land is the failed development of Zacha.

I am sure at this exact moment? That they would LOVE to sell Zajac, Just probably are not in a position to do that.

I would be surprised if they would not look at trading him to resurrect some value.  I am also sure they may like to have Gaudette, with some upside? Their current 4th line C. Kevin Rooney will be 27 in a few months. Haas yet to crack 20 NHL points.  Yes they could use Gaudette. And yes it would be a good situation to let them battle to decide who becomes Zaajac's replaacement.

On your part there is no need to quote us spin from another teams GM. The world according to Garp. As if it was gospel? Spin is only true when things go to plan. Players develop as they are hoped to...

Galchenyuk was also untoucheable in Montreal. How many teams has he been dumped moved now???  

17 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Need to add to our D not make it worse. 

IF Stecher gets traded it'll be for upgrade on D. 

That'd be a tough move to do, 4-6 defenseman going for a lot.

Might have to stay pat. I only see us trading Stech if we know for certain Tryamkin is coming back and/or they have confidence in Rafferty which idk why they would yet.