The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs New York Islanders | Mar. 10, 2020 7 PM PDT | Canucks For Kids Telethon

Rate this topic

Templeton Peck

Something I have noticed the Canucks doing is dumping the puck into the opposing zone and then going for a shift. Obviously this is necessary to do sometimes to alleviate pressure, allow the D to change and all that. But during our more productive run this season, I feel like I saw players skate back into our own zone or send the puck back to the D to allow time for a shift, then regrouping, and sending the puck up with a fresh line.

I think this extra control allows us to dictate the pace and play of the game better. Instead of every shift ending with a dump and delayed chase, we get to break out of our own zone. It feels like lately we have been focusing on just getting the puck deep before every shift, rather than trying to make something out of every shift. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Jeff Paterson says Canucks have to win at least 9 out of the next 14 to ensure a playoff spot...

Dont see it happening this season folks..

Who cares?

He just stated his opinion

It doesn't mean he doesn't want to see them make it and it has no bearing on if they do or don't

Above someone posted Beatles Helter Skelter

Here it should be Let It Be :)

If they miss by one or two games, we can look back to when they got beat by OTT and ANA (in Feb). Those were games they should've won, but for whatever reason didn't. Maybe Travis calls it the ebbs and flows of the season or whatever, but those were missed opportunities that may cost them.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

Something I have noticed the Canucks doing is dumping the puck into the opposing zone and then going for a shift. Obviously this is necessary to do sometimes to alleviate pressure, allow the D to change and all that. But during our more productive run this season, I feel like I saw players skate back into our own zone or send the puck back to the D to allow time for a shift, then regrouping, and sending the puck up with a fresh line.

I think this extra control allows us to dictate the pace and play of the game better. Instead of every shift ending with a dump and delayed chase, we get to break out of our own zone. It feels like lately we have been focusing on just getting the puck deep before every shift, rather than trying to make something out of every shift. 

Retaining the puck means the other team can't score. I've always preferred that philosophy to "here other team, you have the puck now and see what you can do with it because we're all tired now".

I loathe it. I'd rather have 15 top quality scoring chances a night from being patient while reducing the other team to 'chase us down' mode (wearing them out) than have 25 poor to medium ones gained from dump and chase/change while we go burn energy chasing them down.

A) with a low number of high quality chances, the opposition goalie is probably going to go cold during the course of a game from lack of action, making it easier to score.

ii) They aren't shooting at us if we have the puck. It's harder for them to score when we have the puck. Unless our net is empty and it's Loui Eriksson. Any empty net, he's going for it.

3) I really like annoying OCD people with lists that don't use the same element identifiers.

Edited by brownky
  • Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If they miss by one or two games, we can look back to when they got beat by OTT and ANA (in Feb). Those were games they should've won, but for whatever reason didn't. Maybe Travis calls it the ebbs and flows of the season or whatever, but those were missed opportunities that may cost them.

Don't forget the washington choke job, the pens choke job, and the jackets choke job.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

33 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Who cares?

He just stated his opinion

It doesn't mean he doesn't want to see them make it and it has no bearing on if they do or don't

Above someone posted Beatles Helter Skelter

Here it should be Let It Be :)

HELP!  I need somebody, HELP... not just anybody, HEEEELP!

We will get help from Lady MADONNA this time and get the lucky bounces that we haven't had lately.  We win 5-1.

Edited by yes we can nucks
  • Cheers 1