The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

68 Game Rollback?

Rate this topic

Provost

I personally feel the points percentage method is the most fair, but this one wouldn't be horrible either. A straight points method would be madness, and I sincerely hope it wouldn't seriously be considered, as it's brutally unfair to teams with fewer games.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CR7 said:

Although the idea of a roll back is good, IMO I don't think it is the best idea or most logical. For a draft lottery it works, but what do they do for all those players that accumulated stats, they take them away, put an asterisks beside them in the records? Win % or 7 - 10, 8 - 9 playoff best of 3 for final 2 spots.

Or as the players originally floated, if the season can start up in July, do a 2 week camp, finish out the regular season by end of month (80 games). Playoffs through September . October for draft and Free Agency. November for 2 week camp, start season Mid Nov. with a condensed schedule finishing as close to the end of June as possible, maybe early July. Take your 2 months off and start all over again.

I like the later idea as a fan, very little down time, more hockey to make up for all we are missing

It’s a great idea in theory, I just don’t think they’ll have that much time to do 12 regular season games for teams.

They’ll also still likely be dealing with different travel restrictions and laws in different states that will make playing in each city difficult.

Warm up games will be needed for sure but I just don’t see them being able to finish that many regular season games in that short of time.

Lol we still holding out hopes for the playoff? Give it up.. seasons ain't coming back.. look at china... it took them 4 months to get a handle on the situation if u even believe them that is.. itll take us just as long if not longer considering its spreading like crazy in the us.. it's either all or nothing.. even if theres just 1 infected person out there... it will start spreading again if it's not completely cured. So the likely timeline would be at the very least end of july.. and then do a 2 months playoff into September and then straight to 2021 season? Even if u cut the playoff into best of 5 that will still take month and a half..  Highly unlikely we finish the season... let alone having to deal with free agency draft and everything else before the start of next season 

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol we still holding out hopes for the playoff? Give it up.. seasons ain't coming back.. look at china... it took them 4 months to get a handle on the situation if u even believe them that is.. itll take us just as long if not longer considering its spreading like crazy in the us.. it's either all or nothing.. even if theres just 1 infected person out there... it will start spreading again if it's not completely cured. So the likely timeline would be at the very least end of july.. and then do a 2 months playoff into September and then straight to 2021 season? Even if u cut the playoff into best of 5 that will still take month and a half..  Highly unlikely we finish the season... let alone having to deal with free agency draft and everything else before the start of next season 

It would be more likely they go ahead at the end of June with training camps and warmup games.

They’d likely be playing without fans so the risk to the public isn’t relevant.

I would also imagine they play in rinks where the outbreak is under control. 

The NHL is leaving everything on the table. So as long as North America can start to contain things over the next three months is definitely possible.

Its just a wait and see right now.

one game semi final between StL and Colorado

In Colorado because they hold the tie breakers

then on to the final between Boston and the winner of Stl/Colo

season over in 2 weeks from when they re-start

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

It’s a great idea in theory, I just don’t think they’ll have that much time to do 12 regular season games for teams.

They’ll also still likely be dealing with different travel restrictions and laws in different states that will make playing in each city difficult.

Warm up games will be needed for sure but I just don’t see them being able to finish that many regular season games in that short of time.

Yeah 12 games may be a bit much, but I'd like to hold out hope that we can get a handle on this, even if all games are neutral sites, or all in Canada as we seem to have a better handle on it that our friends to the south.

If everything is just done that would be sad, just hope for the best possible outcome fit humanity at this point

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I personally feel the points percentage method is the most fair, but this one wouldn't be horrible either. A straight points method would be madness, and I sincerely hope it wouldn't seriously be considered, as it's brutally unfair to teams with fewer games.

Absolutely Valid, but also if we do the rollback method, imagine how a team like Winnipeg would feel, as the Jets just got into a playoff spot. It’s just as brutally unfair to teams with more games played. I think points percentage is the fairest route to go for that reason.

1 hour ago, HC20.0 said:

Absolutely Valid, but also if we do the rollback method, imagine how a team like Winnipeg would feel, as the Jets just got into a playoff spot. It’s just as brutally unfair to teams with more games played. I think points percentage is the fairest route to go for that reason.

I would agree. I suppose the rollback method isn't a whole lot more fair than simple current standings. Same problems arise, but in reverse.

3 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

irrelevant musings

Actually... relevant musings.

Canucks discussion board.... Canucks discussion thread = relevant.

If you aren’t sure what words mean, you can always look them up.  It can be really helpful for you.

An irrelevant musing would be posting random unrelated and incorrect posts  that add no discernible content to the discussion in threads.

Shift-4 = irrelevant musings

• Huggy Bear 1

Just our luck, we'll(finally) win it all, when fans have to celebrate in their living rooms. Some solo..perhaps w/mannequins? Kind of like the sound of one hand clapping.

Then of course, a virtual parade?! Set up carnival floats in your living room, & somehow we simulcast some extravaganza online? What a riot...

There is never going to be a totally fair way.  Even with the 68 game rollback, some teams will have 33 home games, other teams 35.  Canucks have played 35 home games, Flames only 33.  Avs or the Oilers would be exciting.  A completely rested McDavid could be a problem.  

• Upvote 1

Edmonton wouldn't worry me too much.  They're an AHL team outside their top 6 and McDiver won't be getting as many gift calls in the playoffs.  Throw out a solid checking line against McWhiner and we expose the Soilers as a joke of a team.

If Randork is assigned to the broadcast crew, the entire series would have to be played on mute regardless of opponent, but he is even more unprofessional than the incredibly low bar he's set for himself when we play Edmonton.  Would be satisfying as hell to see that scumbag cry on national TV

Edited by King Heffy

I don't like the 'rollback to 68 games' idea because it wouldn't be fair to take away wins that teams have earned.  I think it's more fair to have all teams play 71 games, which is the most that teams have played.  The season could resume in August.  All teams have a one week training camp.  Then teams that haven't played 71 games would play their games in the following week.  That would be either 1, 2, or 3 games.  Playoffs could start in mid August with each series shortened to best of 5.  The 4 rounds could take 2 months, ending somewhere in mid October.  Start the new season in November, which would be about a two week break.  Play a shortened season which would end at the normal time of the year.  There have already been two lockout seasons when teams played only 48 regular season games.  They could do it again.

How about 72 games played.  16 teams in playoffs.  1 win to make in the next round.  Home ice advantage goes to seeding (most points).  The Stanley cup finals make it to a best of 3.

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Just our luck, we'll(finally) win it all, when fans have to celebrate in their living rooms. Some solo..perhaps w/mannequins? Kind of like the sound of one hand clapping.

Then of course, a virtual parade?! Set up carnival floats in your living room, & somehow we simulcast some extravaganza online? What a riot...

have you seen any NASCAR, lately?

it is virtually the same as the real thing

I'd never knowthe difference froma real parade

now the virtual riot on the ohter hand that might be a bit tougher to pull off 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

I don't like the 'rollback to 68 games' idea because it wouldn't be fair to take away wins that teams have earned.  I think it's more fair to have all teams play 71 games, which is the most that teams have played.  The season could resume in August.  All teams have a one week training camp.  Then teams that haven't played 71 games would play their games in the following week.  That would be either 1, 2, or 3 games.  Playoffs could start in mid August with each series shortened to best of 5.  The 4 rounds could take 2 months, ending somewhere in mid October.  Start the new season in November, which would be about a two week break.  Play a shortened season which would end at the normal time of the year.  There have already been two lockout seasons when teams played only 48 regular season games.  They could do it again.

Going to 71 games is still a mess.  Teams like Ottawa and Detroit have already played 71, so no need to do anything.  LA has only 70 games, but their next game is the Ducks.  Do they have to play this game, its meaningless?  Sharks have 70 games and their next game is against the Blues.  Blues are just ahead of the Avs, but they already played 71 games.