The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Fair call. Thanx for the response.

No worries. It's good talking hockey with sensible people.

I looked up Tiger for the hell of it. Two 30-goal seasons. Career: 241 goals, 513 points.

Seven seasons with 18+ goals, ten with 15+.

In 1981 he was actually 14th in voting for the Hart Trophy, tied with Guy Lafleur and Ray Bourque! Haha, guy is apparently actually even a little better than I remember.

And to Burrows' credit, he received Selke Trophy votes for 6 consecutive years.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

Kesler shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Naslund, Bure, Daniel and Henrik, etc. either.

100% agreed.

I disagree. The best two way center Vancouver has seen IMO.

Edit: I guess you could argue he is on the "B" level alongside Morrison, Betruzzi, Linden, but if that's the case, I have Burrows at the bottom of "B"

You have an F level brain and you can't spell Bertuzzi.

“Honestly, if you were any slower, you’d be going backward.”

I'm not sure what about your post makes my brain hurt more. The fact you called Trevor Linden a B tier or said Kesler is the best 2 way player in Canucks history...

Agreed.

Who do you propose IS the best 2 way if not Kesler? No other has won a Selke. No 2 way Dman surpasses him either....

Peca won it after we traded him for Mogilny. Kesler is the same sort of plumber but yet arrogant. Good riddance to him. There have been leaps and bounds far better Canucks than him by a country mile.

Back to Burrows - do we need him? He's solid in my books.

We needed Burrows, but now he is an expendable. How do we trade him though? Does he have any realistic value, with his contract?

Short answer: yes

Detroit picked up Erik Cole whose contract was a 3.5 for a 2nd I believe.

Burrows in Detroit would be a great sight.

I secretly hope to see the Sedin's in Detroit eventually. They deserve a ring.

Edited by Sedin Brothers

Short answer: yes

Detroit picked up Erik Cole whose contract was a 3.5 for a 2nd I believe.

Burrows in Detroit would be a great sight.

I secretly hope to see the Sedin's in Detroit eventually. They deserve a ring.

I hate the ol' cliche "player X deserves a ring' because they've had a great career in the NHL. The Sedins have had incredible careers, yes, but they don't deserve a ring over any other player in the league because they were high profile scorers and ambassadors to the Canuck organization. Plus, what makes you thing the Wings are in any position to make a cup run anytime soon? In 4-5 years the Canucks could be in a position to win a cup again too ya know...

• Upvote 1

We needed Burrows, but now he is an expendable. How do we trade him though? Does he have any realistic value, with his contract?

Do you really think so? I like his versatility and attitude. The man is core all the way and good for 15-20 goals even if he's not on the top line. If he plays with the Sedins for the whole year I wouldn't be surprised with 25.

It remains to be seen how physical Burrows can be after his rib injury. I've heard that there may be lingering effects for some time.

I wouldn't say that Burrows has become the liability that Bieksa was at times. I don't think that a Burrows trade would see a particularly good asset coming the other way like we might see with other players.

Before being added to the Sedins line both Henrik and Daniel each put up more points in December alone than Burrows did in Oct, Nov, Dec, and January combined. Even during that lengthy losing streak the Sedins were producing while the rest of the team didn't. I've been a Burrows fan since he joined the team (and have his jersey), but it always makes me laugh when anybody says Burrows made the Sedins better. Quite the contrary. The Sedins elevated Burrows game he became a much better player because of them. He's still far more productive with the Sedins than without them while the Sedins put up points regardless of who is on their wing.

Laugh all you want but I DO think that Burrows made the Sedins better. But the reverse is also true of course. Its not a question of either/or. People are confusing pure puck skills and contract size with "value" (to the top line)

I don't think anyone can argue that from a long distance perspective, Burrows has by far been the most consistent producer for them, the puzzle piece that fits them best. I think both parties benefited. Burrows elevated his play by playing with the best, but the Sedins also were much more consistently productive because they had Burrows in their corner (literally). He was/is the perfect mix of grit, obnoxiousness, determination, and skill with the puck around the net, to fit with them and their more cerebral game.

Also to add...Burrows also shone on his own. He not only is a better defensive player than the Sedins, particularity on the PK, he also put up many important goals (dragon slayer) on his own or with other linemates other than the Sedins.

But yeah...this thread is bumped...so the season is coming fast! woo hoo

Do you really think so? I like his versatility and attitude. The man is core all the way and good for 15-20 goals even if he's not on the top line. If he plays with the Sedins for the whole year I wouldn't be surprised with 25.

It remains to be seen how physical Burrows can be after his rib injury. I've heard that there may be lingering effects for some time.

I wouldn't say that Burrows has become the liability that Bieksa was at times. I don't think that a Burrows trade would see a particularly good asset coming the other way like we might see with other players.

I love Burrows, I loved Linden too, and we got lots for him when he was traded. I don't really want to see Burrows go, but there needs to be room for the young up and comers. I guess we will keep him, if he won't bring back that much.

Laugh all you want but I DO think that Burrows made the Sedins better. But the reverse is also true of course. Its not a question of either/or. People are confusing pure puck skills and contract size with "value" (to the top line)

I don't think anyone can argue that from a long distance perspective, Burrows has by far been the most consistent producer for them, the puzzle piece that fits them best. I think both parties benefited. Burrows elevated his play by playing with the best, but the Sedins also were much more consistently productive because they had Burrows in their corner (literally). He was/is the perfect mix of grit, obnoxiousness, determination, and skill with the puck around the net, to fit with them and their more cerebral game.

Also to add...Burrows also shone on his own. He not only is a better defensive player than the Sedins, particularity on the PK, he also put up many important goals (dragon slayer) on his own or with other linemates other than the Sedins.

But yeah...this thread is bumped...so the season is coming fast! woo hoo

Nice post!

Vrbata kind of dried up playing with the TWINS and then WD put Burrows back with them and their production went up. Although the Twins up their physical play last year Burrows gives them a net presence which they have to have. Burrows has elite hand eye

co-ordination.

• Upvote 1

I love Burrows, I loved Linden too, and we got lots for him when he was traded. I don't really want to see Burrows go, but there needs to be room for the young up and comers. I guess we will keep him, if he won't bring back that much.

I think that Vrbata is the next forward to go (at the trade deadline). Moving him will serve the dual purpose of making room and more importantly, bringing a nice asset in return.

What makes you think the Red Wings are any closer to a ring than we are?

Not that they are that close...

Our next wave has just Horvat & Tanev established. Detroit has Sheahan, Tatar, DeKeyser, Nyquist and Mrazek significantly more advanced. And we have a wave coming in Baertschi, Markstrom, Virtanen, Corrado, McCaan etc. but so do they have just as compelling, some argue better, to us also close to joining the party; in Pulkuninen, Ouellet, Mantha, Larkin, Marchenko, Holmstrom, etc.

That may or may not be a better young group to drive them forward. It is more advanced is all I am saying.

Not looking forward to watching the Canucks without Burrows. I know its a business and they may have better options, but the guy bleeds Canuck colours. Dude is a warrior, and the ultimate team guy.

I am a fan of the team Burrows is playing for. Classy dude. Let him play it out. I would like to see him retire a Canuck.