The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Heat Wave?

tapeboy

Part way through yesterday; I began soaking hats and toques, then freezing them to wear for about 20 minutes at a time. :)

Peaked at 41C inside my place, expecting around 45-46 at approx. 6pm this evening. :(

Edit to add:

If you spary water/mist at the inlet to your portable air conditioner, it helps; drops the cool air temp by 5-6 degrees farenhiet for a few minutes

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Have mercy on your local restaurant workers today... :(

Do not be surprised if some are shutdown after 3 pm.

WCB heat exposure rules will be eligible for use today.

MY bff is already prepared to shutdown the galley on a ferry route today. Guy has 40  years of experience in the trade, and he's only shutdown a galley twice in that time.

Both because the exhaust fans gave up, but this time the fans are likely not going to be enough.

Edited by gurn
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

MY bff is already prepared to shutdown the galley on a ferry route today. Guy has 40  years of experience in the trade, and he's only shutdown a galley twice in that time.

Both because the exhaust fans gave up, but this time the fans are likely not going to be enough.

Yeah, I was almost expecting a call saying not to come in, cuz this is some record shattering s*** we've not dealt with before, let alone all the heat from the ovens, grills etc...

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, gurn said:

That's interesting I'll have to keep that rule in my back pocket. 40 degrees is nothing at my work site I think it's common to hit 50 before this heat wave. 

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

That's interesting I'll have to keep that rule in my back pocket. 40 degrees is nothing at my work site I think it's common to hit 50 before this heat wave. 

Used to do roofing out in the valley many years ago.  Summer was nasty putting on a roof, especially tar and gravel.  Can’t imagine what those guys will be dealing with Monday.  

• Like 3

Bought two more fans yesterday so bedside tables blasting from both sides. Cold showers/baths before bed also help the cool down. Normally just need to survive the mornings and afternoons. With temps in the mid 20s at night, it’s a task to get proper sleep. Everybody stay screened up, hydrated and safe.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

I've been watching the US Olympic trials lately.....yesterday the races were all being held in 3 digit temperatures.  They moved the 10,000m to an earlier time, but it was still 85 out there.  

They performed well despite the heat.

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hahaha. I’m downing these vodka drinks and swimming in my pool hoping to cool down, Fig. I hear a marachi band playing across the lane. I think it’s real, but I’m not sure. 

This sounds glorious.  I feel like it could be a scene from Happy Gilmore (happy place) that got left on the cutting room floor.

• Vintage 1

Just got back from my Sunday 10k run.

Was moving quite a bit slower today but thank god for trail running around a lake, lot's of shade but still blazing. Every time a bit of sunlight got through the trees it felt like the broiler was on high. 

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Bought two more fans yesterday so bedside tables blasting from both sides.

IF it gets to 40 degrees, do not use the fans anymore.

40 and above, the air being blown is actually worse than just still air.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yup. Thermodynamics. Heat moves from hot to cold objects. Once the air temperature is higher than your body temperature, a fan basically becomes a heater, and just makes things worse. :( 

• Vintage 1

16 hours ago, brilac said:

It's 100F in Seattle right now.  It's 83F in my apartment and I have the ceiling fan to the highest.  My cat is under the ceiling fan on and has been hanging out in the bathroom through out the day. 

Poor cat wearing a fur coat in this weather. 

28 minutes ago, gurn said:

Everyone go to the mall for free ac. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1