The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

OR if lack has a horrible year and he is able to be snuck down through waivers like was markstrom this year.

Lol true there's that possibility. What a turn of events that would be in what is already a reversal of the SEL where Lack used to back up Markstrom.

I hope Lack does well though because moving him to get into the top 10 wpuld be amazing. Not sure if there will be teams looking for a goalie in that range or Lack will even be good enough to be packaged for a top 10 pick.

That's because no goalie of his calibre was available in recent memory.

it would have been, if they had a decent support system in place for him to continue to develop properly. as it is right now it's them overplaying and hanging out to dry Cory because they want him to be brodeur 2.0 and them lacking the team systems in front of him to support it. they clearly did scramble when they went for cory, as nobody pays that much for a goalie anymore.

What did the Av's pay for Varlamov? ^^

What did the Av's pay for Varlamov? ^^

The Avs traded a 2012 first round pick and a 2012 or 2013 second round pick for Varlamov. The difference is that they made this trade in the summer of 2011...one full year before the 2012 draft. The Avalanche never expected to do so bad in the 2012 season. If they knew that they'd have the 11th overall pick I doubt they'd have traded it for Varlamov. Not to mention the 2012 draft was considered to be weak while the 2013 draft was considered one of the best in recent history.

What did the oilers get for Wayne Gretzky?

Different market back then and should no longer be used as a benchmark

Only true to an extent.

A market is a market. If someone needs a goalie they pay. See Philly and their UFA budget when they could have traded either Schneider or Lou.

For every Yzerman who patiently acquires good prospects and sits until they pan out. There is an Ed Snider.

Ultimately the market repeats both highs and lows.

Just FTR; Varlamov had more value than Markstrom does currently. (And I wonder if they want him back :P !)

• 2 months later...

Figured I'd give this a bump after a little bit of talk about possible trades today:

Pierre McGuire said on @TSN1040 - that he could see Philadelphia or Nashville as landing spots for Markstrom. #Canucks

Nashville hasn't had a win without Rinne in net (or they hadn't before he went down injured) so that makes sense. The Flyers always want something, and there's some uncertainty in goal but I don't see that quite as much. New Jersey and Buffalo have been suggested on CDC as well so it's something to think about.

Figured I'd give this a bump after a little bit of talk about possible trades today:

Nashville hasn't had a win without Rinne in net (or they hadn't before he went down injured) so that makes sense. The Flyers always want something, and there's some uncertainty in goal but I don't see that quite as much. New Jersey and Buffalo have been suggested on CDC as well so it's something to think about.

Well they don't have Erat anymore so...

Not interested.

Nashville already has their own version of Markstrom playing in Milwaukee. His name is Magnus Hellberg another 6'6" Swede, a year younger than Jacob and is the #1 goalie in the AHL. Markstrom is currently the #2 goalie in the AHL.

The two went face to face last Friday in Utica and Hellberg got the best of Markstrom in a 2 - 1 Milwaukee victory. The two face each other again tonight in Milwaukee.

Nashville already has their own version of Markstrom playing in Milwaukee. His name is Magnus Hellberg another 6'6" Swede, a year younger than Jacob and is the #1 goalie in the AHL. Markstrom is currently the #2 goalie in the AHL.

The two went face to face last Friday in Utica and Hellberg got the best of Markstrom in a 2 - 1 Milwaukee victory. The two face each other again tonight in Milwaukee.

So Philly it is then? Love me some Hagg

Those numbers are frigging mirror images aren't they?

Ya doesn't look like the preds have a need

Wow how do the Preds have a guy like that in their system.. so damn loaded

As for Markstrom - I hope we trade Lack instead

As per Matt Sykaris ( whatever his name is spelled) this morn, Markstrom has stated to Canucks management that he doesn't intend to sign his RFA tender, in short, he wants out of this organization. Can't really blame the guy, I dont think hed ever expect having a full time league in the minors and having to jump over 2 people to get to start. Woudve been nice though to see him get a chance at the backup job while Lack gets shipped for some assets.