The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

9 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I could see that but I also think they might go for Holtby.

Holtby just had a poor season.  Minnesota fired their goaltending coach and are looking for improvements.  They also have Kakhonen who was just voted AHL goalie of the year.  They might only be looking for a stop-gap goalie rather than a starter with term.  Guerin might just look at his former team with Rutherford looking to move one of Murray/Jarry.

13 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Everyone wants to believe their guy won't be the one to leave just because of money but I've seen it far too often not to know it's a definite possibility. 

Yzerman could imo, easily lure Marky with a 'career defining' contract in both term & dollars - something JB won't necessarily be able to do.

True....

We don't know any of the ins and outs... if a player feels, he is being low balled, it immediately changes the dynamics...

Marky may take a 'discounted' contract if he really likes it here, but he also knows that even with a NTC or NMC in his contract, he may be sidelined or shifted... so it likely won't far below, what is expected all things considered.

I think we can sometimes over look the Sedin's legacy as almost too attached to Petey.  Markstrom played with the Twins for 2-3 seasons and saw how they carried themselves on and off the ice.  They were role models and achieved excellence in the league.   Marky seems to have a keen eye to seeing himself as part of the proud Swedish tradition this club has with that country and putting his name next to the likes of Gradin, Naslund, Ohlund, and the Twins.

1 hour ago, Dungass said:

I think we can sometimes over look the Sedin's legacy as almost too attached to Petey.  Markstrom played with the Twins for 2-3 seasons and saw how they carried themselves on and off the ice.  They were role models and achieved excellence in the league.   Marky seems to have a keen eye to seeing himself as part of the proud Swedish tradition this club has with that country and putting his name next to the likes of Gradin, Naslund, Ohlund, and the Twins.

This is a big reason why we will be able to retain him at a reasonable cap hit.

The other reason is that we've been patient with him and helped him develop into the player he is today and seeing how appreciative he is towards his team, you just know that he's thankful for what this organization has done for him.

6 hours ago, theo5789 said:

This is a big reason why we will be able to retain him at a reasonable cap hit.

The other reason is that we've been patient with him and helped him develop into the player he is today and seeing how appreciative he is towards his team, you just know that he's thankful for what this organization has done for him.

I wouldn't blame Markstrom from wanting to get a big payday but I also think these factors which I assume would help the Canucks keep Marky.  Based on internal cap structure, if Boeser got $5.85M and Myers got $6M, then I am pretty sure Marky's going to get more than that.  I don't think Marky will be asking for Bobrovsky money but I can see his agent pushing for him being the highest paid player on the Canucks.

I'm honestly not sure where the red line will be for the Canucks.  Marky is clearly a critically important piece of their success.  I like Demko but would be shocked if the Canucks walked from Marky and went with Demko as their #1 next season.  That being said, the team obviously has cap problems.  I wonder if it will be a factor in Pettersson's and Hughes' contracts too.  If Marky gets $7M (lets just go with that), then assuming things go how we hope them to with Petey and Hughes, there's probably going to be a pretty good argument that they should each get at least that on their next contracts (notwithstanding their RFA status).

37 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't blame Markstrom from wanting to get a big payday but I also think these factors which I assume would help the Canucks keep Marky.  Based on internal cap structure, if Boeser got $5.85M and Myers got $6M, then I am pretty sure Marky's going to get more than that.  I don't think Marky will be asking for Bobrovsky money but I can see his agent pushing for him being the highest paid player on the Canucks.

I'm honestly not sure where the red line will be for the Canucks.  Marky is clearly a critically important piece of their success.  I like Demko but would be shocked if the Canucks walked from Marky and went with Demko as their #1 next season.  That being said, the team obviously has cap problems.  I wonder if it will be a factor in Pettersson's and Hughes' contracts too.  If Marky gets $7M (lets just go with that), then assuming things go how we hope them to with Petey and Hughes, there's probably going to be a pretty good argument that they should each get at least that on their next contracts (notwithstanding their RFA status).

Flat cap changes things and he's fine to test the market if he wants. If we must go with Demko, then we will. I guess we will see how badly Marky wants to be here.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Flat cap changes things and he's fine to test the market if he wants. If we must go with Demko, then we will. I guess we will see how badly Marky wants to be here.

I don't think Marky will get, or ask for, more than 6 mil per. Only way that might happen is if he carries this team to the Stanley Cup finals this season. Other than Price and Bobrovski, I can't think of any another goalies that are making 7 mil or more per season

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I don't think Marky will get, or ask for, more than 6 mil per. Only way that might happen is if he carries this team to the Stanley Cup finals this season. Other than Price and Bobrovski, I can't think of any another goalies that are making 7 mil or more per season

6 is what I was thinking too. But it sounds like people are starting the panic talk of him getting some massive deal now.

13 hours ago, theo5789 said:

6 is what I was thinking too. But it sounds like people are starting the panic talk of him getting some massive deal now.

Yeah, even with a stellar year and a (mostly) solid playoff run thus far, he doesn't have the track record of other high paid goalies to bank on. Most of those guys had 4+ years of his current level of play (and age) under their belts when they got paid. Not one or two.

Between that, how patient the team has been with him, bringing in arguably the top goalie coach in the world for him, how competitive and young we are etc... He was going to struggle to get much more than $6m BEFORE Covid IMO.

And it's not like there's a bunch of other competitive teams out there with loads of cap space to offer him $6-7m either. Sure, maybe a 'Detroit' could offer him something like that but I just don't see him dumping a competitive Vancouver club for every last cent. $5.5-$6m is still good money to play with a good, young, competitive group, in a beautiful city, for a team that's been patient and supportive, with one of the top goalie coaches in the world.

Just don't see him jumping to another competitive team over say a few hundred k or to a rebuilding team for an extra mil.

• Cheers 3

On 8/20/2020 at 3:46 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

If Marky keeps playing like this, his price is going way up, but the REAL problem is the term. Markstrom would probably want 4 - 6 years attached to his contract and thats going to be the issue especially when you have not 1, but 2 legit goaltending prospects. Add to the fact that theres more talented goalies than ever with very few opening starting jobs, Markys price is gonna be an intersting drama to follow in the off season