The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He plays identically to David Booth.

seriously? I don't see it at all. Booth is finishes his check, but it's totally a deadly hit, it's one of those rub the along the boards type of player. Virtannen is a much more truculent player in his own right, he's taller, and probably faster, not to mention a better shot then Booth. His style is more dustin brown probably were he will be a hitting winger averaging around 50 points.

The hometown Rockets are my pick, but they have to get through the Royals first and for some reason Vic has their number. It will be a tough battle

I don't think anyone int he west is going to outplay the rockets. I've watched them all year and Draisatl is starting to gel so well and former Canucks PTO for the Penticton Tourney Jackson Whistle (this kids gonna be so damned good) is a standout for MVP

When you factor in that defense and that balanced scoring the Rockets look like the CHL version of the Kings only with more scoring....and THAT is something that most teams outside of McCaans' cannot hope to contain.

Sorry jake, if you make it that far the Rockets are going to roll you.

And with luck you'll be playing with them next year.

Yep. And if we're lucky we'll get pre concussion booth, if not..post concussion.

I think Jakes defensive game is under rated though, at worst he will be a good third line guy

For everyones sanity he better be better than a 3rd liner at 6th overall. I think he will be, got all the tools.

I kinda see a bit of Max Pacioretty from Montreal as well, similar shot, even backhand wise. Lots of room in the NHL for players that skate fast and shoot hard

Virtanen initiates contact more than Patches IMO and gives up quite a bit in height too. I also believe that Virts is a better skater.

A closer Pacioretty comparison for this draft was Brendan Perlini.

Virtanen initiates contact more than Patches IMO and gives up quite a bit in height too. I also believe that Virts is a better skater.

A closer Pacioretty comparison for this draft was Brendan Perlini.

You're right that Jake initiates more physically, but they're both bulls out there. And Jakes a little faster, but both skate well for their size. I was just watching Patches 39 goal season highlights. That shot is just deadly, even on his backhand. His shot just reminds me of Jakes, such a quick release. More similar then Carter/Booth as a comparison IMO. I kinda think Perlini projects more similar to Carter tbh, but that's just my opinion as well, although I could see him turning into Pyatt 2.0 more likely Edited by WonderTwinPowers

If Virtanen is pretty good defensively, would love to see him out killing penalties in future with Horvat. Play Virtanen high up near the blueline against the defensive pairing like they used to do with Bure.

What I've noticed with this kid, his acceleration is incredible. May be able to pickup a lot of short handed breakaways.

This thread needs a reality check.

During the Ice series Jake was a point per game player. He had a bad first two games, where he accumulated a -4 and was held off the scoresheet. From then on he had 7 assists in 5 games, never being held off the scoresheet again, and recovered to an even +/-. All while accumulating 14 PIMs.

For comparison, Reinhart got 9 points with top line minutes and a buttload of PP time. Folks here need to check their expectations. It's like CDC took on the Flames fanbase's serious case of Baertschi-itis and rag on a kid for not being the next Gretzky because he was a high pick.

no way i have baertschi-itis. I always put a hat on it.

During the Ice series Jake was a point per game player. He had a bad first two games, where he accumulated a -4 and was held off the scoresheet. From then on he had 7 assists in 5 games, never being held off the scoresheet again, and recovered to an even +/-. All while accumulating 14 PIMs.

For comparison, Reinhart got 9 points with top line minutes and a buttload of PP time. Folks here need to check their expectations. It's like CDC took on the Flames fanbase's serious case of Baertschi-itis and rag on a kid for not being the next Gretzky because he was a high pick.

You tell em' SamJam man!

• Upvote 1

While not bashing Virtanen overall, the struggles he had in the first two games of the series were not simply a couple of isolated incidents. He had played quite poorly in the last couple weeks of the season (http://whl.ca/roster/gamebygame/id/26161/ls_season/249). Virtanen has a tendency to light it up for two weeks, fall asleep for a week, rinse and repeat.

The concern, for me, is not whether Virtanen has the tools to play well in the NHL, but whether he can do so on a consistent basis. One reason to believe that he can be more consistent is that he seems to be shuffled around the lineup and thus never really establishing an 'identity' on the team. It is hard to be consistent when your role is always changing.

• Upvote 3

Game 7 sequence starting at 9:05: Virtanen pressuring puck carrier in his own zone, giving him fits and driving him into the boards, causing a turnover. That opposition player? Sam Reinhart.

This is not an isolated incident. I think we can put this myth of him not being a good defensive player should be put to bed. He's a fantastic defensive player.

• Upvote 3

Game 7 sequence starting at 9:05: Virtanen pressuring puck carrier in his own zone, giving him fits and driving him into the boards, causing a turnover. That opposition player? Sam Reinhart.

This is not an isolated incident. I think we can put this myth of him not being a good defensive player should be put to bed. He's a fantastic defensive player.

Where's the video for game 7

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******