The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

He had one good year, he would skate the puck from one end of the rink to the other in a straight line and then would beat teenaged goaltenders with a powerful wrist shot.  People that still argue against the fact that Jake doesn't process the game well have no idea what they are talking about.  No offence to Ray Ferraro? Nearly 1000 points in the show and now works FOR the show, I'm pretty sure he has a pretty damn good idea of what he is talking about don't you?  You are the most condescending poster ever, stop acting like a know it all

Uh, OK.   I will bow to Ray Ferraro as having superior knowledge and his ability project prospect development is better than any other hockey player.   Sorry, Ray, "The 5th Line" agrees with your negative view on a player he dislikes so you are clearly correct.

Is that better?

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Yeah and CDC ripped him apart!  and now here we are, hoping to hell that Jake even comes close to what Jannik Hansen is.  Typical 

Yup.  If Jake is a bigger (meaner too) Hansen, that's a valuable player.  I wonder if Jake has any chance of making the big club, with all the new UFAs?

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  If Jake is a bigger (meaner too) Hansen, that's a valuable player.  I wonder if Jake has any chance of making the big club, with all the new UFAs?

No, Virtanen should and will start the year in Utica. He needs to prove he can produce points at the AHL level before he even comes close to the NHL. With Goldobin, Dahlen, Molino, Chaput, etc, I think he can gain solid chemistry by playing with players that aren't plugs. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yes, i hear from a friend that has Canuck connections....  that indeed Jake is likely starting on the Canucks this season.

Very exciting news as Jake is exactly the kind of player that Canucks need in their lineup.   Speed, size and aggression  is a rare combo.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, i hear from a friend that has Canuck connections....  that indeed Jake is likely starting on the Canucks this season.

Very exciting news as Jake is exactly the kind of player that Canucks need in their lineup.   Speed, size and aggression  is a rare combo.  

I don't see it. Unless he performs extremely well in pre-season. 

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Well that's some horse**** if true 

I wouldn't doubt it, they handed him a spot on the team on a platter in 15-16

Edited by Zhukini

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There was very little competition in compare in 15-16.

They had him doing pre season media interviews with all the returning vets, before he had played a single pre season game. They've never done that before, at least for the past 15 years, and haven't done it since. He was there to sell tickets, and that decision was made long before training camp. 

6 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

They had him doing pre season media interviews with all the returning vets, before he had played a single pre season game. They've never done that before, at least for the past 15 years, and haven't done it since. He was there to sell tickets, and that decision was made long before training camp. 

Yup, not a bright move agreed.   It seems this year will be opposite, earning a spot will be required for pretty much everyone in spite of what some posters are insisting - I just see Green running a very tight ship that way.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

He had one good year, he would skate the puck from one end of the rink to the other in a straight line and then would beat teenaged goaltenders with a powerful wrist shot.  People that still argue against the fact that Jake doesn't process the game well have no idea what they are talking about.  No offence to Ray Ferraro? Nearly 1000 points in the show and now works FOR the show, I'm pretty sure he has a pretty damn good idea of what he is talking about don't you?  You are the most condescending poster ever, stop acting like a know it all

1 good year

2010-2011 BC Hockey Bantam AAA Champion
2011-2012 BCMML All-Star Team
  WCCC-16 Bronze Medal
2012-2013 U17 WHC Silver Medal
2013-2014 Hlinka Memorial Gold Medal
  U18 WJC Bronze Medal
2014-2015 U20 WJC Gold Medal
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

I don't see it. Unless he performs extremely well in pre-season. 

He likely has to beat out Boeser as well.  Would seem only one of those two or Goldobin will make the team, and Rodin is still in the mix, too.  He could potentially beat out the likes of Burmistrov, but being a 4th liner or black ace likely isn't what's best for him at this point.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Let's not let those seasons take away from his huge draft +1 year where he barely managed to put together a PPG season while playing on a dominant Hitmen team, on average I would guess around 80 players finish with PPG production in the W each year so nothing miraculous there.  But at least he made up for it last season...oh wait.  All while being drafted 6th overall in a pretty deep draft year. 

You do realize that key players that are not all about points are important to a successful hockey team?   If Virtanen can develop into the physical force he was in junior at NHL level while contributing even modest point totals, he will be well worth his slot in the draft as those type of players are hard to find and are the ones you win in the playoffs with.    Certainly jury is still out on him - from his draft class he is 12th/14th from that first round in NHL games played/goals scored but that still is upper first class territory for a player who is of the type that typically develop a little more slowly than the waterbugs guys  like Virtanen squash when playoffs come around.  

Time will tell.  

• Upvote 3

I think that I have said this before but I think that If Jake comes to camp in good shape and plays his big physical game he makes himself a valuable player and the kind of player we just don't have.  I think of any of the young guys, he has the opportunity to make this team out of camp if he makes the best of his opportunity, he will be there opening night.  Its up to him to prove he belongs. 

• Upvote 1

JV is the 5th's Achilles heal.  He is fixated and repeating himself.  He needs to move on to another topic if he wants anyone to think he has objectivity.  By all means 5th, keep ranting, but I think I can speak for many that until some more time passes the matter cannot be settled... And I do sincerely hope you are wrong about JV.  

EmW

19 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Yes because we all know Jake was the leading force behind those Bronze medal victories, and was an absolute stud at the Hlinka memorial tournament with an astonishing 0 goals and 1 assist in 5 games, he was a beast at the 2016 WHJC as a returning player when he helped Team Canada almost beat Finland in the Semi-final.. Let's not let those seasons take away from his huge draft +1 year where he barely managed to put together a PPG season while playing on a dominant Hitmen team, on average I would guess around 80 players finish with PPG production in the W each year so nothing miraculous there.  But at least he made up for it last season...oh wait.  All while being drafted 6th overall in a pretty deep draft year. 

Nice try Hippy but I'm pretty sure I didn't need someone to point out his team's accomplishments from when he was 14 years old to prove to me how HE has been playing.  Maybe if he had won a Timbits participation trophy I would be a little more impressed. Clearly I'm talking about his individual seasons in relation to his draft spot, and I prefer to analyze his seasons, post puberty

I love how the same 3 or 4 of you come to each other's side every time a poster ruffles your feathers, lol so damn cute.

in 2014-15 there were 49 players that had minimum of 1.00 pts/g I. the whl (63 made it to 0.90), though 2 of those players only played 2 and 1 games, respectively. 

of those, only brayden point, sam reinhart, and leon draisaitl have established themselves as nhl players. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, tas said:

in 2014-15 there were 49 players that had minimum of 1.00 pts/g I. the whl (63 made it to 0.90), though 2 of those players only played 2 and 1 games, respectively. 

of those, only brayden point, sam reinhart, and leon draisaitl have established themselves as nhl players. 

I honestly don't know what the point is that you are trying to make. Are you agreeing with The 5th Line or providing a rebuttal? 

If you are agreeing, then I take it you are saying yes there are a lot of players above 1.00 pts/g (49) and of those only 3 have established themselves as NHL players and all were in the top 10 for ppg that year. In contrast, Jake was ranked 40th out of 49 in ppg and so since only three have established themselves and all were near the top what Jake did wasn't very impressive and he doesn't have a great shot at making it.

If you are providing a rebuttal, then I take it you were saying no there weren't that many players above 1.00 pts/g that year (only 49, not 80) and of those only 3 have established themselves so far as NHL players whoch means that there is still lots of time and Jake did actually have a pretty good season. 

I honestly don't know which point you were trying to make so if you could help me out it be greatly appreciated. 

Also, as an aside, I would say that Oliver Bjorkstrand, Nic Petan (both also in the top 10 for ppg), Shea Theodore, and Ivan Provorov have also established themselves as NHL players (and I think Mathew Barzal and Nolan Patrick will establish themselves this year). I don't know which argument this supports.