The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

58 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Watching Ferland is going to do wonders for his game. He will see how effective he can be even when not scoring. Ferland is streaky points wise but he doesn't take a night or shift off. Jake will learn exactly what he needs to be this year, and I suspect he begins his trajectory to what many hoped this season

Go read his two previous team boards. That is not what they say. Don't go all crazy homer now.

Don't get me wrong, I was one of the strongest proponents of us trying to get Ferland this ufa period.

But no need to make up stuff up.  :picard:  Both fan bases say he took nights off.  But that can be said about almost every player in the NHL. No one can be "on" 100% of the time.

• Cheers 3

21 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

If Virtanen doesn't step forward this year then what is it? the coach, or is he truly a bottom line player.

So in your mind 15 goals is "truly bottom line" production is it? Brilliant. Not trolling at all are you?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

Obviously Ferland will be tried with Petey but I think Ferland on the same line as Jake would let Virt be fearless with his physical game. He can start running people over again and really driving the net since he knows Ferland will be on the ice at the same time to fight for him if needed. Also them with Horvat would be a crazy forechecking line that can keep up with any line in the league.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Ferland-Horvat-Virtanen

Baertschi-Gaudette-Pearson

Leivo-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

Goldy

Good point.

On 7/20/2019 at 11:23 PM, Elias_Pettersson said:

Obviously Ferland will be tried with Petey but I think Ferland on the same line as Jake would let Virt be fearless with his physical game. He can start running people over again and really driving the net since he knows Ferland will be on the ice at the same time to fight for him if needed. Also them with Horvat would be a crazy forechecking line that can keep up with any line in the league.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Ferland-Horvat-Virtanen

Baertschi-Gaudette-Pearson

Leivo-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

Goldy

Plus eventually Roussel comes back for even more sandpaper, if only we still had Dorsett that fourth line would be a nightmare. And unless he's waived you wonder where Loui Eriksson fits. 

51 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Plus eventually Roussel comes back for even more sandpaper, if only we still had Dorsett that fourth line would be a nightmare. And unless he's waived you wonder where Loui Eriksson fits. 

Utica

12 hours ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Yeah, he doesn't. There's nobody I remove from our roster to make room for him and it only gets more crowded when Roussel gets healthy. Yet people keep posting that he'll be 'competing for a spot this fall'....no he won't. He's not better than the other 4 or so 'bubble' guys at the bottom of the lineup and he's a FAR bigger and unwanted distraction. He's done here (however that ends up being...trade, waived, termination etc).

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

I've been kind of annoyed with Jake lately. This is a huge off season for him. There are other players developing behind him (Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, MacEwen, Lockwood, etc), and it appears like he's just mailing it in. Partying with friends at the lake or being spotted sitting on a pub deck pounding back highballs. He's having a good time, but he's got to know the NHL isn't a guarantee and can be taken away from him. He's got to try and be smarter on and off the ice. Another player went through this "growing up" (Evander Kane) and is a real good player today. I hope Jake can do the same and doesn't follow Kassian's path instead.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

It could very well be a case of simply not showcasing his workouts publically. Just because we don't see it in media, doesn't mean it's not happening.

I feel this is the case. Jake showed last off-season he's figuring out what it takes and I have no reason to believe he wouldn't be putting in the same if not improved effort this summer, what with the team as a whole taking a step forward and this being a contract year for Jake.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

It could very well be a case of simply not showcasing his workouts publically. Just because we don't see it in media, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Exactly.... how often does Bo post workout videos ?  Are we worried about his off season training ?  I am not in the least lol

The ball is in Jake's court this off-season 

edit;; for curiosity sake I wouldn't mind seeing a shirtless frontal of Jake.. I know he has tree trunks for legs and shoulders but we don't see much of his core/abs

Edited by Chicken.

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've been kind of annoyed with Jake lately. Partying with friends at the lake or being spotted sitting on a pub deck pounding back highballs. He's having a good time, but he's got to know the NHL isn't a guarantee and can be taken away from him.

I am not sure if being 100% focused on one thing (hockey) is healthy. One may almost suggest that it is a good idea to take breaks and recharge for parts of the offseason.  What he chooses as recreation should be of little concern to anyone. He's a big boy.

I do agree he has to buckle down and make something of his career though.  You're right - other prospects are waiting in the wings...

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've been kind of annoyed with Jake lately. This is a huge off season for him. There are other players developing behind him (Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, MacEwen, Lockwood, etc), and it appears like he's just mailing it in. Partying with friends at the lake or being spotted sitting on a pub deck pounding back highballs. He's having a good time, but he's got to know the NHL isn't a guarantee and can be taken away from him. He's got to try and be smarter on and off the ice. Another player went through this "growing up" (Evander Kane) and is a real good player today. I hope Jake can do the same and doesn't follow Kassian's path instead.  

Your apparent expectation that Jake spend 24 hours per day, 7 days per week working out and practicing is unrealistic and silly.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/16/2019 at 12:48 PM, Boudrias said:

How many sure goals did Jake put off posts or have the puck roll off his stick. He could have easily scored 20 last year. He should have a solid season this coming year. 

One less goal post from Lafayette could’ve saved ALL of us a lot of misery.:P

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Your apparent expectation that Jake spend 24 hours per day, 7 days per week working out and practicing is unrealistic and silly.

I am just saying that Jake is not a very good player (yet), not like Horvat or Boeser anyway. Those guys do enjoy their summers too, but you know they're working hard as well, and will perform when it counts next season. Looking forward to seeing Jake's improvement this season. I'm sure he's been working very hard on his hands.

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I am just saying that Jake is not a very good player (yet), not like Horvat or Boeser anyway. Those guys do enjoy their summers too, but you know they're working hard as well, and will perform when it counts next season. Looking forward to seeing Jake's improvement this season. I'm sure he's been working very hard on his hands.

Why would you make a post you can't back up?  You have still to produce the evidence of said posts.  Is it an emotional reaction or just your opinion?

7 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

Why would you make a post you can't back up?  You have still to produce the evidence of said posts.  Is it an emotional reaction or just your opinion?

Of course it's just my opinion. I've been a Virtanen fan since he was drafted in 2014, even have his jersey. I want to see him prove everyone wrong, but so far (after 5 years) he hasn't. He kind of reminds me of Goldobin. The potential is there, but what will he do with that? Maybe Jake is training really hard. The proof will be in his game this season.

• Cheers 1