The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

5 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

And you're a new aged hockey fan/soy-boy who's never worn a pair of skates in his life.  Want a cookie?

At least you agree with me.  Jake doesn't answer the bell.

He's not an agitator, he lays hits then gets challenged and declines.  Wow what a great rat.  He draws penalties then sits for 2 minutes while our skill guys try to score.  Marchand draws penalties then he's the one who scores the PP goal, then he stares down the opponents bench.  Big difference

I've played a lot more than you think dude, but you keep telling yourself that. I just don't feel I need to state it because it's silly in the end. Usually, the people who claim they are "experts" just because they play end up being some of the more illogical. Kind of funny and sad at the same time.

You're right in that I'm not disagreeing with you Virtanen not stepping up; however, I disagree that he has to step up. I believe in the strategy of the game more than the straight forward "let's fight!" approach. The game is faster and momentum seems to be more of a thing these days, which fighting often seems to end up being counter-intuitive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I've played a lot more than you think dude, but you keep telling yourself that. I just don't feel I need to state it because it's silly in the end. Usually, the people who claim they are "experts" just because they play end up being some of the more illogical. Kind of funny and sad at the same time.

You're right in that I'm not disagreeing with you Virtanen not stepping up; however, I disagree that he has to step up. I believe in the strategy of the game more than the straight forward "let's fight!" approach. The game is faster and momentum seems to be more of a thing these days, which fighting often seems to end up being counter-intuitive.

It is too bad you quote that poster as I have really, really, really enjoyed not seeing any of his posts (even the seconds it takes to read them are a waste of time).

::D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

It is too bad you quote that poster as I have really, really, really enjoyed not seeing any of his posts (even the seconds it takes to read them are a waste of time).

::D

I've met all kinds of people on the internet to the point where I just shrug with some people. Sometimes I get heated when I shouldn't, but I like to think overall I can have a pretty steady mindset.

At the end of the day, you can have all of the knowledge in the world. If you don't have the wisdom to use that knowledge... then what's really the point of that knowledge? That's just the way I see things I guess. lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

That's fine if you disagree.  I'm not going to respect a player who runs around laying heavy hits but continuously turns down fights and only acts tough if the refs are in the middle.   That respect needs to be earned.

And you don't have to respect him if you don't want to. I just think the game has changed to the point where I'll see games with fights, only to see the actual play feels like it's almost slowing down. lol

Also, don't get me wrong. I'm for fighting still. It's just an observation I've made about the game in the last couple of years.

2 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

sorry to disappoint you Alf, no cute little cave dweller here, BC born fan for 50 years

don't need 43,000 posts to be a real fan

Cheers

Go Canucks Go

Jake is showing he’s matured into a top six winger.  I’m glad JB picked a tough, heavy player and not a Smurf.  

#Leafs miss playoffs. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Jake is showing he’s matured into a top six winger.  I’m glad JB picked a tough, heavy player and not a Smurf.  

#Leafs miss playoffs. 

Jake Virtanen can barely carry the puck to the net. He is currently a bottom 6 forward and is not anywhere close to the top 6. I really hope he pans out and I cheer for him every game. 

Meanwhile, Nylander and Ehlers both have two 60 point seasons under their belt. The Canucks would currently be a much better team with either of them on the roster. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, The Lock said:

Except Marchand is a legitimate comparison here, obviously not in terms of points but in terms of exactly what you are talking about with answering the bell. Truth is he doesn't most of the time.

I get it though: you are a meat and potatoes guy living in the 90's.

Marchand was recently mocked for ducking Ellers, I'm pretty sure.

1 minute ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Marchand was recently mocked for ducking Ellers, I'm pretty sure.

Marchand certainly takes his antics too far a lot of the time, but he does get under the skin of the opposition, otherwise he wouldn't be getting mocked. If you think about it, the other team at that point is focused on mocking him when they really should be focusing on winning the game, so that's really on the other team at that point.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Jake Virtanen can barely carry the puck to the net. He is currently a bottom 6 forward and is not anywhere close to the top 6. I really hope he pans out and I cheer for him every game. 

Meanwhile, Nylander and Ehlers both have two 60 point seasons under their belt. The Canucks would currently be a much better team with either of them on the roster. 

Nice try.  Overpaid McSofty Smurfs.  

On 10/25/2019 at 6:15 PM, The 5th Line said:

And you're a new aged hockey fan/soy-boy who's never worn a pair of skates in his life.  Want a cookie?

At least you agree with me.  Jake doesn't answer the bell.

He's not an agitator, he lays hits then gets challenged and declines.  Wow what a great rat.  He draws penalties then sits for 2 minutes while our skill guys try to score.  Marchand draws penalties then he's the one who scores the PP goal, then he stares down the opponents bench.  Big difference

Yeah cause it's idiotic to throw away 5 minutes because you hit a guy and the other team got up in their feels about it and tried to fight you. He mixes it up where necessary. If he fought every time he hit somebody and the other team cries about it he'd be in the box way too often. And this idea he needs to go around body guarding other players is also idiotic. Let the dude play hockey. He's not a security guard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Ive counted about 5 blatant opportunities the last season and 10 games in to this one to either stick up for himself or a team mate and he doesn't.  This guy is literally being baby fed playing time and opportunities and does very little with it, meanwhile guys like Gaudette are giving it absolutely everything they have and are still riding busses in upstate New York.  It's embarrassing.  He needs to man up 

And what idea, that he needs to go around being a "bodyguard"?  

And "he needs to fight every time he lays a bit".

Like the great Ray Ferraro once said: "don't put words in my mouth"

You haven't been watching very closely then. He went after Martel for hitting Stecher high and he also was the first guy who asked Matheson to go after the Pettersson hit (both within the last year). Jake wasn't drafted to be a fighter and quite frankly I don't think he has the stones to be one but he's still sticks up for team mates when needed. 

Jake can fight or not fight doesn't matter. It's nice if he sticks up when need be and plays with heart everynight

I would love Jake to use his body and speed and make a hit if need be. His hits can change the tempo of the game if need be. However, play smart and keep it clean. That one boarding hit that didn't get called almost caused us to lose the game....

Jake needs to be utilized during overtime, he is one of the fastest skaters and yet Leivo is out there before.